1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Its Absolutely Perfect That Trout Did Not Win the AL MVP!

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Nov 16, 2012.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,889 Messages
    2,065 Likes Received
    The guy that won the triple crown should have and did win the AL MVP!

There is no argument.

All the pundits and idiots moaning about Trout not winning it are so far off base it is beyond silly.

There is not ONE good legitimate reason to argue for Trout winning it.
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    agreed wholeheartedly.

Trout was a heck of a player and had a good year but his team was far lesser and he didn't put up the historic season.

this WAR crap is 18 months old while the triple crown has been aimed at for a century.
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,517 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    The thing you have to remember is the Triple Crown doesn't include lots of things including Runs, Walks, OBP, Slugging, Stolen Bases and defense. Trout played a more important defensive position at a much higher level and that has to factor into the equation.

Obviously Cabrera had a great season, too and winning the Triple Crown is an incredible achievement that had not been done in about 50 or so years. He is a worthy winner but Trout also deserved serious consideration.

I think he will win a few before he is one.
  4. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    The right guy won it. Not only did Cabrera win the Triple Crown, but he carried his team down the stretch to a division title. Having said that, Trout is a special 5 tool player and definitely deserved some consideration. I just never thought it should have been as close as many were reporting. In the end, the vote differential was about right.
  5. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Trout's team was far lesser? LA had a better record in a tougher division. Detroit would have been 4th in the West.
  6. WPBCowboysFan

5,889 Messages
    2,065 Likes Received
    Yet because of Cabrera went to the WS.
  7. jimmy40

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    and wouldn't have made the playoffs in the West. I don't care who won the MVP but the lesser team argument doesn't fit. I kind of like the fat guy winning myself.
  8. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,154 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    You're right. There were TWO good legitimate reasons: defense and baserunning. Trout excels at both, Cabrera not so much. And Trout can hit a little, too.
  9. jimnabby

4,154 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    And yet, back in the good ol' days, players used to win the Triple Crown and not win the MVP. Not sure why it's suddenly the only thing that matters.
  10. jimnabby

4,154 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but any argument about who "carried his team" is an argument in favor of Trout.

When Trout was called up, the Angels were 6-14.
    With Trout on the team, they went 83-59 and ended up winning MORE games than the Tigers.
  11. jimmy40

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure Cabrera had better stats late in games and at the end of the season. I just wish Hamilton wouldn't have quit because he should have easily taken the HR title.
  12. WPBCowboysFan

5,889 Messages
    2,065 Likes Received
    Lesser team or not, Cabrera is the main reason his team even made the playoffs.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

5,889 Messages
    2,065 Likes Received
    ???????????????
  14. jimmy40

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    doesn't mean anything to me since the lesser team was all I was referring to.
  15. tko112204

tko112204 Active Member

597 Messages
    43 Likes Received

Klein in '33, Gehrig in '34 (finished FIFTH), Williams TWICE in '42 and '47.

All won the Triple Crown and didn't win MVP. And that's when people still though RBIs and BA mattered.

Cabrera won because the BBWAA is full of dinosaurs. Trout had MARGINALLY worse offensive numbers and was EXCEEDINGLY better at everything else.

It really shouldn't have been all that close.
  16. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Carried them to what?
  17. WPBCowboysFan

5,889 Messages
    2,065 Likes Received
    Exactly
  18. WPBCowboysFan

5,889 Messages
    2,065 Likes Received
    And it wasnt!

You just picked the wrong guy.
  19. tko112204

tko112204 Active Member

597 Messages
    43 Likes Received

More wins, in a tougher division, in the regular season.

Which is all the MVP Award is based on. It doesn't matter that the Tigers went to the World Series. And it shouldn't matter that they made the playoffs and the Angels didn't.

It's not Trout's fault who his teammates were, or what division he played in. If your argument is about who helped their team to a better season, it's Trout.

And if you value everything else a baseball player does, besides SLG%, it's Trout.
  20. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Oh yes it does matter that the Tigers went to the postseason. By the same token, Cabrera can't help who his teammates are or what division he is in either. If that's your the criteria, you might as well let a guy who's team finishes in last place win the award again, ala A-Rod. He couldn't help his circumstances either, but I am firmly against a guy on a last place team winning the award.