1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I've got to address the Garrett hate...

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by myslamsareolder, May 18, 2014.

1. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

189 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I think he should get another contract too, but don't think he should get the whole contract. I think with what he's done he deserves 5 years. Give him a 3 year extension but if he doesn't win in the playoffs in 2015 then let him go. I'm not against firing coaches, but there is a difference in firing, say Shanny, with 6-10, 5-11, 10-6, and 3-1 records and firing after three 8-8 seasons. He deserves 5 years imo.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,297 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I wish that would lead to some type of success for him but it hasn't.

We get to game day and he gives us no advantages.

The guy still thinks it's the 90s and the way to win is to go and out athlete every single opponent.

If our schemes were a little less basic it would go a long ways instead of just relying on Romo for everything.
  3. BoysfanfromNY

BoysfanfromNY Member

62 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Jason is that you?
    tantrix1969 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,973 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I honestly haven't seen as much Garrett hate as of late..
  5. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,891 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Garrett COULD be a good coach if he were to get fired, or quit, and go learn under an experienced coach as a position coach for a couple of years, then move to a coordinating position, and back in to coaching. Other than that, he's a joke.
    cml750, pjtoadie, Trajan and 2 others like this.
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    JG has played and coached under some pretty good coaches over the years already...it should not be a career long learning process
    cml750 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    The problem with the whole "is he really that bad" argument is that it is based on the premise that mediocre is acceptable.
    cml750, pjtoadie and RS12 like this.
  8. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,420 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    Over the last three years there has been some heartbreaking losses, he's shown little in the way of improvement and if you had to list what he excels at it would be a struggle. With Romo aging it seems like last year would have been a good time to get a new coach, but here we are.
    cml750, tantrix1969 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  9. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

1,946 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    As a Laker fan, and going thru 2 of the worst coaches ever in Mike Brown and then Mike D'Antoni. Garrett is no where with those 2. I don't even stress about him being the Cowboys coach. I've seen futility.
  10. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,530 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    A lot of it is simple disagreement on procedure, policies and actions...........why is that even deemed hate.......If he was churning out more that .500 seasons and reaching playoffs the opinions would change on their own. I'm sure there are even still critics of Pete Carroll, but a heck of a lot less than 4 yrs ago....
    cml750 likes this.
  11. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,413 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    According to the boss, Jason has been training for 3 years. If someone is characterized by the owner as a guy in training, doesn't that tell you all you need to know? I mean how good are you, if you're still training to coach? Are there any other guys in the NFL who's GM's and owners would make that same statement about their HC?
    cml750 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  12. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    No really you don't.
    RonSpringsdaman20 likes this.
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    To some, hate on this board means not waving pom poms for anything silver and blue.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,255 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    Popcorn and a PBR.... I'm ready.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,393 Messages
    1,886 Likes Received
    It was mistake to hire a completely inexperienced Head Coach and also allow him to have duel responsibilities of OC as well.
    I think both jobs were diluted by a head coach learning on the job...often with coaches he didn't fully select .

I love Garrett's overall organizational philosophy, but the tea has suffered through his growing pains.

He's now had time to revamp the roster and coaching staff.

Time to turn the corner.
    jobberone likes this.
  16. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,135 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    We're not playing games. Wait till the season.
  17. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

1,651 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    Let Garrett come to this board and fight his own battles!o_O
    cml750 likes this.
  18. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,262 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Romo covers up how bad a lot of things in this organization are. Yet, there's a merry band of rocket scientists around here who can't wait to get rid of the guy. You can't cure stupid, I guess
  19. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    1992, Candlestick Park, San Francisco, Ca.
    4th quarter
    Score - Dallas 23 - 49ers 20

The 9ers just scored and the momentum changed. Dallas had the ball deep in their territory. Norv called down to Jimmy and asked him if he wanted to try and milk the clock or pass.

Jimmy said:

I want to score!

Garrett has had a number of years here before he even assumed the head coaching job. I have seen him try and milk the clock instead of using his offense and Romo to keep attacking.

My belief is Jones likes him because he won't try and take credit. He is a puppet. I see not much in the way of innovation, leadership, or setting a standard through action and not lip service.

Jimmy had guts. Jimmy also in the first several years made mistakes with clock management. But Jimmy had guts to keep playing attack football.

If Dallas had lost that game above, does anyone really believe they would not have been right back there, like they were, and winning the next one?
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Please list those rocket scientists. I think this is where I need a source.
    RonSpringsdaman20 likes this.