1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

J.J. Watt

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Feb 11, 2011.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I am starting to really like this kid. Plays with a lot of fire and passion. I want more guys on our team that just love to play football. This kid is the real deal.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I like him too, but I trade down quite a bit before I would pick him.
  3. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I don't think he gets past NE at #17. He looks like a typical Patriots player.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not sure I take a 3-4 DE any earlier than 17. Well, unless he was really something special.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    I agree, Fairley is the only 3-4 DE in this draft I'd consider at #9 and he probably won't be there.
  6. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I threw together a mock a few days ago where we traded down to the Patriots and grabbed Watt. Dude just seems to have the attitude for the game in addition to the skill-set.
  7. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This. He is an excellent player and he was the heart of Wisconsin's defense but he isn't as good as some of the other big defensive ends. Like Nick Fairley, although landing him might be a pipe dream.
  8. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You are correct; but I believe the impact of quality players like Watt with high motors and a team mentality do a lot for your ball club
  9. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Love J.J. Watt, he has a HUGE frame too. Could carry 315 easy.
  10. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,643 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    JJ Watt vs Jordan ?? who's suppose to be better.

Some have Watts ahead of Jordan.
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,825 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    I really like Jordan, but Watt was very productive and has a great frame. If I had to choose, I'd say Jordan will be the better pass rush, thus the better player in most eyes. Watt will be a dominant run defender, kinda like a better version of Igor.
  12. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,118 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Watt is much more athletic than Igor. I think people are underrating his pass rushing ability.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,463 Messages
    1,966 Likes Received
    That is what Broaddus was saying yesterday from some scouts he's talked to. He said unlike Jordan, who might be limited to more of a pass-rushing role at end, Watt is big enough to play 34 end on run downs and then even be moved inside as a nickel rusher because he does have room to bulk up. And then of course he has the great motor on top of that.

BTW, Broaddus is on 103.3 right now talking about the draft... And he just mentioned Watt again. Says not just some people with the Cowboys like him, but other scouts like him a lot because you'd never have to take him off the field.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Like Watt as well. Good year for DEs
  15. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,656 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Both Cam Jordan and J. J. Watt have been invited to the Indy Combine. Hopefully, they'll both take full advantage of their workouts. Maybe by then the picture will become a little clearer. Personally, I like 'em both. Jordan's performance in the Senior Bowl workouts undoubtedly has boosted him but the rankings of both could easily change before the draft.
  16. TheFinisher

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Great post, Cam Jordan is a hot name right now because of the Senior Bowl but he's not built for the 3-4 despite his height/weight ratio. I have never seen him flash the ability or strength to be an effective interior rusher, Watt on the other hand has.
  17. Manwiththeplan

4,825 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Definately agree, I believe he will be a better version of the player Igor was in SD. Light years ahead of what he was here.
  18. Manwiththeplan

4,825 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Height/Weight/Arm Length are all indicating factors that he could rush inside on a part time basis. Add to that he did in college part time and the strength and motor he showed at the senior bowl says otherwise.
  19. TheFinisher

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Height/Weight/Arm Length is basically just saying he has the size and potential to do it, but the truth is he never has been a good interior rusher in college. He never demonstrated the power or strong bullrush that's required.
  20. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,118 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I remember making a thread awhile back if people would like a draft that got us Nick Fairley in the 1st, and JJ Watt in the 2nd. Almost everybody thought it would be terrible if it worked out that way. I bet people feel differently now.

My first ever "I told you so" post. It would seem that I am now a true "Zoner."