1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jags DID offer deal for #9

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by HoustonFrog, May 20, 2011.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,869 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    I know there was some conflicting reports on whether this really happened or not but here is some new info

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article...Feed: jaguarsnews (jaguars.com Latest Content)

2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,966 Messages
    1,694 Likes Received
    Yeah. I thought it was very clear that they made that offer and I think most of us believed that to be true. Threre were a few doubters, I'm not sure if there still are.

We'll see in 2-3 years how this turns out. Hopefully, Smith will be a Pro-Bowler by then.
  3. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It would really grind my gears if Smith turned out to be a bust and we could've gotten better value for the pick. Eh. We'll see, I guess.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,596 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    Hopefully Smith turns out to be a 10-12 year starter with 7 or 8 Pro Bowl seasons and no one will ever care about that stupid trade possibility again.
  5. DFWJC

21,966 Messages
    1,694 Likes Received
    Hope so.
    You have to think we ahd a pretty big gap between Smith and next guy on our board for us to pass that up. If not, we absolutely should have taken that gift. It was a two starters for one deal really.
    I'll assume the gap was big.

So now, if Smith lives up to his suppossed potential, all should be fine.
  6. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I imagine it was a mistake not to do the trade down....I hope to heck I'm wrong and Smith becomes an all-pro LT.....or even probowl RT.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,199 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    More indications that all that BS that came out the last couple of weeks before the draft by Mosely and others that Smith was not really considered much if any better than the other tackles was just that. BS fed to them or out of their own imaginations.
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,345 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Jerry could have picked Tyron Smith with the Jags choice.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    all that tells me is the Cowboys wanted Smith and were not willing to take a chance on losing him.
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,680 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    People would have moved up to get him.
  11. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    exactly then we would hear how stupid Jones was for letting the top OL player in the draft get away.
  12. DFWJC

21,966 Messages
    1,694 Likes Received
    I very seriously doubt that. Not all the way to 16.

Still, unless I had a big spread between Smith and someone like Carimi, I would have taken that gift of a trade.

Like we said, if Smith turns out to be a star (or Carimi a dud) then staying put will have been fine.
  13. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,702 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I can guarantee that Detroit would've taken Smith at 12 instead of Nick Fairley had the Jags trade went through.
  14. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It won't bother me in the least. Everyone feels Smith was a soldi pick - the teams, scouts, supposed experts - if Smith fails it wont be because we stretched on a player a lot of people felt unworthy.
  15. DFWJC

21,966 Messages
    1,694 Likes Received
    I like his odds of being very good. But we did value him higher than at least 1/3 the teams out there.

Anyway, if he or anyone that we spent a top 10 pick on were to bust, I would be very upset. I'm surpsied that you would not be bothered....does not sound like you.
  16. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I read that the Lions would have drafted Tyron over Fairley.
  17. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    I'm sure Matthew Stafford was hoping for that
  18. mcduff

mcduff New Member

16 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How many years did we slide out of a decent pick and try to get cute and pick up additional choices that ended up with minor impact at best. For example LT would have not been an issue we had of stayed pat and taken McNeil instead of trading down for Fasno and the pick that ended up being Jason Hatcher.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,367 Messages
    2,929 Likes Received
    Not a snowballs chance in hell.
  20. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,430 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    I don't think he'll be a bust, attitude towards game seems good not like Barron's