1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

James Carpenter Alabama

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Jan 31, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,881 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I like this prospect and think he will be a good NFL Guard and if he can't start right now he will give us a Guard/Tackle backup.

Im wondering how high he will go in this draft but he would erase the Robert Brewster blunder imo.
  2. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    he would be a better tackle than a guard. He's not huge in his upper body, but has very good strong base, and he has excellent technique. The problem with him at guard is that he'd be facing the bigger linemen all the time, as opposed to Tackle, more specifically Right Tackle, who usually face lighter, but quicker, DE's. He's been a LT at Alabama, so he has experience there as well.

Wouldn't mind drafting him in the 3rd round ( if he's there ) if by some chance we go in other directions in the first 2 rounds. He's another one who I think could start right from the training camp, if not within a couple of games after because of his technique.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,881 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    I just look at him and see a Guard. Like a Joseph type from Tampa.

If he is a Tackle I think he'll be just a guy. But at Guard is where I see his most potential.

He's a good run blocker too.

I think he could be exactly what we'd hoped Robert Brewster would turn into.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,881 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    Check him out @ LT in this game...

If Robert Brewster is a 3rd rounder surely this guy is too.

Wisniewski is the RG for Penn State btw.

[youtube]EXyv3YNY-rY[/youtube]
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Carpenter seems like a good prospect. I have watched him in several games this year and he seems solid.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    I'm not sure that's the guy you want to invoke in this particular regard. :laugh2:
  7. Randy White

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    clip, Catch..

It reinforces my evaluation of him. He does not have the biggest or strongest upperbody, but he has a very, very solid base, which makes up for it. He will need to get stronger in the chest and arms area in order to deal with NFL players, but his technique is terrific. Look at how he stays in front of his man by moving his feet constantly. That's easier said than done and something that's THE biggest problem with tackles.

That's also why I'm hesitant to play him at guard. As I said before, there's a big difference between facing the Ndamukong Suh, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Albert Haynesworth, B.J. Raji etc..etc, of the NFL and facing the of much lighter, even though quicker, DE's and OLBs. I just don't think he'll be able to handle the bigger linemen inside at this point.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,881 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received

Good points but I still just see him as an impact player @ Guard.

I don't really like him as a left guard that much. More of a RG.

Just get some more strength in this guys body and he will be a quality player imo.
  9. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really like this kid. He's played very well for a bigtime program under a bigtime coach.

He looked really solid in the Senior Bowl too, and he played LT the whole game I believe.
  10. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He could start here, imo.

The day that he was drafted, he would be Dallas' second best OT.

Mark Colombo was the worst RT that I saw all season long, and I don't look for him to be on the team next year. Colombo should have been replaced after the 2009 season. He's done. He had a nice little run, considering where he came from, as far as his health.

I like Carpenter, but I read where an NFL scout smiled when asked about him by a pretty good draft analyst, meaning that he's moved up. He was a third or fourth round guy. However, this article stated that he could go as early as late round 2 or early round 3. He is no guarantee to get to Dallas in round 3, where his true value probably is located. Those OTs are going to rise, and the rise is being compared to the 2008 run on OTs.

If Dallas doesn't take an OT at 9, I think there is a real good chance that they get completely left out. Gilbert form Florida is another 3rd-4th round player who helped himself in Mobile and was mentioned as a late 2 or early 3 projection in the same article. If you are lucky, you may get one of these two guys. LSU has an OT projected to go in the mid rounds (Joseph Barksdale) who I have seen rated in round 3. It wouldn't be a bad move to draft an OT at 9 and still try to get one of these players.

DE
    CB
    OT

It looks like those are the options at 9 right now. It's a deep CB class, so that CB at nine better be dang good if I'm passing on the best OT in this draft (or one of the two best) or a DE like Dareus or Jordan. I'm really hoping that the Cowboys have Derek Sherrod rated high. He may not be flashy, but he has upside and could be a borderline Pro Bowl player or get to that level. He is a solid, safe pick who could come in and start at RT and give you LT ability with upside. Bunting rated Sherrod a 7.0 to Smith's 7.5.

Dallas played 16 games with Colombo last year and started a 6th round pick at RT in 2005. A rookie can get this job done, and I'm hoping that Dallas goes in that direction.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,963 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Good prospect...I like the way he moves, and seems plenty big enough to me. I really like this guy, good call
  12. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's another Jerry like pick.

Keep mining OL down in 3-5 until you hit.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You got that right. It`s not a bad ideal if your existing line is in top shape , but when you are trying to upgrade and build a line , it sux. Carpenter wouldn`t be a bad mid-round pick , but I wish Jerry would start investing earlier in the draft to rebuild this line. I can`t understand how Jerry could have played on the OL in college and he still undervalues the positions as an owner.
  14. Randy White

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received

Come on now.. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

THE 2 positions where the Cowboys have spent the most resources in the new century are LB and OL.. From draft picks to free agent signings.

Now, that they haven't worked out is one thing, and even that's subjective because not too long ago the Cowboys had one of the best O-line in the league, but to say that Jerry has undervalued the position is incredibly inaccurate.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don`t see where the statement is so ridiculous at all. For the most part, low-round draft picks and cast-off free agents are not working. Dallas had a good line for a year or two in the last decade, but in truth, the line has been a problem since the late 90s . Jerry has said repeatedly that he doesn`t want OL with high picks in the draft. The result is what you see on the field now.
  16. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its not totally from lack of trying.

Since 1998 they used 2nd rd picks on guys Flozelle Adams, Solomon Page, Andre Gurode, Al Johnson, Jacob Rogers

They used 3rd rd picks on Stephen Peterman, James Marten and Robert Brewster

They've put sollars into a number of significant free agents too.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They may have put some effort in at some levels, but the results have been horrible. With the exception of Adams and Gurode the draft picks have been bad. Most of the players that you have listed , with exception of Brewster , are picks from several years ago. It seems when one of these picks bust , there is no effort to replace them. The current line is an example of the results and to be honest , this line is similar in quality to several lines in the past 15 years. The playoff loss to the Vikings should have been a wake up call that the line needs to be addressed. What happens ? Jerry waits to the late rounds to draft Young , cut Flozell , and signs Alex Barron. Any poster on this forum could have done that bad of a job. This years draft will be the same . The OL will be overlooked and a "wow" player or two will be signed and everybody will be happy until the season starts and the OL sucks again.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,881 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    I think a better way of saying it is the Cowboys have done too much bargain shopping and have got what they have payed for.
  19. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We'll see I guess
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    That is a very good way of putting it.