1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jared Allen to the Bears (4 yr deal)

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bowdown27, Mar 26, 2014.

1. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    silver, StarBoyz83 and BigStar like this.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I'm in for most of this, but other than offensive line, I don't want to see a first rounder used on offense.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,438 Messages
    3,678 Likes Received
    Sure. But taking the fifth best DL because you need it over the first, second or third best qualified talent is not all that smart. You should not elevate the pure talent because you need it.
  4. stasheroo

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I'm happy about that too. That defense is tough enough already!

:eek:
  5. Alexander

23,438 Messages
    3,678 Likes Received
    It would not exactly please me, but if we picked a good starting WR better than Williams, I could learn to like it over taking some DL mainly because we are just desperate. If we do our homework, we can still add talent to the DL.

To put it simply, our draft plan should not be A) Aaron Donald; B) Kony Ealy, C) Panic and run screaming into the streets.
  6. BigStar

BigStar Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,963 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    I hear that and if it came to that, I would take Martin or even a OLB if it came down to it. The trade down scenarios are kind've taking into account that no true talents dropped to your spot you value higher than the coup in the trade down AND the player, etc. I agree with not taking a depleted position simply to do so but also not draft someone to watch Witten catch passes either...
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,833 Messages
    5,375 Likes Received
    You have to remain committed to BPA and not look back 5 years from now to see why you didn't select a blue chip player. Don't let the current state of the team effect your investments for the future. It's that kind of short term thinking that we have to change in Dallas. We need a long term vision.
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Well at least it wasn't Seattle.

I still say bring in Will Smith on a one-year deal.
  9. stasheroo

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    That last line made me laugh out loud! :D

I seem to remember option C actually being used at the 2009 draft when Seattle traded up for Max Unger.
    M'Kevon likes this.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,978 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    I agree. I do hope we can get one of the top DL players in the draft but I don't want to see Cowboys reach for a lesser player while passing up a player at a different position that is a much better prospect.
  11. Alexander

23,438 Messages
    3,678 Likes Received
    "That Eric Ebron, he's a talent." - Jerry Jones
    BigStar likes this.
  12. BigStar

2,963 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    Too funny dude, "just stop" motions the pup :D
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,056 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    They've taken some hits there this offseason. And now that Bennett has collected his big pay-day, I wouldn't be surprised to see production take a dip.
  14. Alexander

23,438 Messages
    3,678 Likes Received
    That is what we tend to do. This is a key draft and one where we need to keep our wits about us.
  15. stasheroo

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I can agree with that, but I'm also not in favor of going QB, WR, TE, or RB with that first rounder. I think you can still get value at a position of greater need there. The only way I go WR is I have decided to move on and not pay Bryant.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,155 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received

so, youre saying we should pick between johnny football, eric ebron, dennard, and davis?
  17. BigStar

2,963 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    So true, we do get that sense in the draft room very regularly. How many times do we let the clock run to 0.00 only to select, "out of North Valley Community College"...as the obvious last option, etc.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,833 Messages
    5,375 Likes Received
    I don't see how you can agree with that and then eliminate 4 positions from your first round equation. You either believe in BPA or you don't. This BPA at a position of need theory is just a spin job to make drafting for need sound more appealing.

Maybe I'm an extremist but I would never let the current state of the team effect the decisions I make in the draft. That's what FA is for, and if you lack the funds to do much there then you just have to take your lumps. Don't bastardize the NFL draft and treat it as if it was an extension of free agency.

To me, if you draft the way you subscribe you'll always be chasing your tail trying to fill needs. Desperately looking for the quick fix. But if you take the long term BPA approach you will reap the rewards of it down the road as long as your scouting department is sound.
  19. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received

It was meant for Alexander but when I read about keeping Ware I just unloaded on that statement. Its all good here at CZ
    BigStar likes this.
  20. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,298 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys go strictly BPA this draft they may not land a WDE until the 7th round. That's an outcome they cannot afford.