1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jared Allen to the Bears (4 yr deal)

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bowdown27, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,911 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Ealy's measurables aren't much different than his teammate Sam, and Sam can be had later in the draft.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,834 Messages
    10,125 Likes Received
    I'm sure Alexander is grateful for avoiding that sick burn.
    Nirvana likes this.
  3. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey Zone Supporter

2,442 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    Agreed

Don't miss on the next great player to draft for need.
    Risen Star likes this.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,152 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    Here's my thinking:

At pick #16, value at a high priority position will still be there. Therefore, you wouldn't be reaching.

The die is cast with this team regarding several positions. Like it or not, Romo is the team's starting QB for the next two years minimum, so a QB in round 1 would be a waste, especially considering I don't love any of them.

At WR, you've already invested a 1st and 3rd pick, and by all indications, they'll soon be making a huge financial investment to keep Bryant. I don't see how the team can afford the luxury of investing another first rounder.

At TE, you already have a Pro Bowler backed up by a 2nd round investment (again!). I don't see how you can justify an additional huge investment there.

And I don't see any RB close to worthy of pick 16 anyway.

So, while I'm not in favor of reaching, I'm less in favor of a pick that doesn't help you significantly for the next few years either.
    BigStar likes this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,272 Messages
    5,520 Likes Received
    It was like I watched someone else get beaten and shot and the person goes, that was meant for you. Imagine the relief. Now I worry what other powerful gifs he is ready to unleash upon me.
    theSHOW, Risen Star and Nirvana like this.
  6. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,121 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Drafting for need has netted Tyron Smith & Frederick. BPA has netted Dez, Escobar, Carter, and Lee. Mo would fit somewhere in between I guess (Carr was just signed that off season so wasn't a need but the team also traded up). Just thought I'd put the players to the descriptions in this discussion, etc. Only did the first 2 rounds just to see where the talent came from on the team with need and BPA in mind.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

3,053 Messages
    1,755 Likes Received
    Lets kick the tires on Will Smith
  8. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,121 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    This is very true, you either have the quick twitch ability or you don't. Leon Lett had one of the freakiest quick first steps I'd ever seen from a DT. He would consisently be in the backfield disrupting HANDOFFS for crying out loud. His personal demons got in the way of all that talent but man was he a freak. Ware did/does as well and as has been postedbefore, he even tricks the refs into thinking he was off sides (sometimes he was :D) but he also has the great first step you can't teach.
    AKATheRake likes this.
  9. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,087 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    I am not sure I understand all the Robert Ayers dislike (now he would need to come for a reasonable price tag), but he grades out pretty well against the run and has shown improvement as a rush men.

Seems at the right price he would be a pretty valuable guy to have around for a few years, while any rook gets his feet under him.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/24/5539340/robert-ayers-among-best-remaining-free-agents

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/2...bert-ayers-as-an-upgrade-over-robert-geathers

I imagine the Spencer decision definitely effects this one and it may be awhile before the boys look to pull the trigger on either.
    BigStar likes this.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,707 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I don't get the dislike over Ayers either. He had a better overall last season than did Allen. Putting him on the strong-side of the formation would make sense.
    AmishCowboy likes this.
  11. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,988 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I wholeheartedly agree.
  12. boysfanindc

3,087 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    Agreed, SDE seems like the right spot for him and IMHO would rather take a shot on him then a guy coming off of microfracture surgery. Good run defender with some pass rush skills.
  13. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I heard he tried to defect to Russia and thats why the Vikes let him go. Makes sense now that he went to a division rival.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,497 Messages
    6,049 Likes Received
    Gotta love the fact we have a desperately high need for DE the same year the draft is incredibly weak at DE. Excellent planning by the Jones idiots!
  15. Pokes12

Pokes12 Active Member

501 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Learn English. It is not "I would have went" it is "I would not have gone".
  16. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,769 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    And that last sentence is why BPA doesn't work for this franchise.
  17. boysfanindc

3,087 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    I thik this as suppooosed be posted in the Enlish foroum.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,834 Messages
    10,125 Likes Received
    Understood but what if the Cowboys take Odell Beckham Jr. in the first round and tell you the scouting department had him in their top 10 players on the board? Do you disagree with the pick?

I mean, I might not believe he belongs there but if that's what their scouts say then I think they have done the right thing with that pick despite it not being a critical need at the moment.
  19. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

251 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I would agree. I don't understand all the Ayers hate. Bring in a vet player like Ayres and find a true pass rush threat in the early rounds of the draft, all of a sudden you're in business at the position. My only concern is the price tag. At his age coming off a career year this is probably his best chance at cashing in on a big money deal(for his skill set). If his price tag is reasonable though I have no problem bringing him in.
  20. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,620 Messages
    1,037 Likes Received
    Oh well, we can scratch Jared Allen off the list and move on down our list of needs, which are varied and many. I was hoping our pass rush wouldn't come down to the draft, but it always does, one way or another. One guy just isn't going to get you there.