1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jared Allen to the Bears (4 yr deal)

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bowdown27, Mar 26, 2014.

1. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,523 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Yes let's go out and overpay for an over 30 DE that's excellent planning.:rolleyes:
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,680 Likes Received
    So far in free agency we've basically turned the clock back on Jason Hatcher and turned DeMarcus Ware into Jeremy Mincey.
    Doomsay likes this.
  3. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    I'm actually happy they didn't pay him. I'm upset we find ourselves in this position. This didn't happen overnight.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,764 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    Right, and other teams can make the same moves Dallas does, and sign rotational no name type players and a starter, and those are great moves for that team. But when Dallas does it, they say we are incompetent.
    theSHOW likes this.
  5. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,523 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    In this position of what. Not overpaying for a player like we used to do. That's a position I'm fine being in. I like what they are doing. Not going for the big name or reaching for someone. Get out of the habit of doing that and it looks like that is how it is going.
  6. sideon

sideon Active Member

244 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Jared Allen might very well have a few good years left in him, but i'm sick of getting old players who had their last good year before we sing them and they turn to ****. The Cowboys have the right idea about getting younger and not getting sucked into a 1 more year mindset, We have young players ready to explode and we can't keep hoping that this FA "vet" will take us to the promise land.
  7. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Jared Allen clearly wasn't secret sauce worthy.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    In the position of having Selvie and Mincey as your starting ends. If you think this is ideal w/ a 100M QB and a defense that has been trash for a long time then I do not know what to tell you. Somebody screwed up along the way for this to happen.
  9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    I can't see it as an absolute, either your picking solely based on need, or solely based on best player available. I think the two factors need to meet at some point.

So, while I could see the team getting 'value' with that selection, I can't see it as filling a 'need'.

Overall, in a vacuum, not knowing who else was and wasn't available, I would say that I would disagree with the pick.

The team simply has too many greater needs where I think that players who would contribute more to wins and losses could be acquired.

And honestly, I see most teams doing exactly that. Teams that have franchise or pro bowl level players at a certain position don't use high draft picks at that same spot.
  10. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,565 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Yeah, Mincey is just a guy and I don't really see him as a replacement for Ware, more of a rotation player (along with Hayden and Selvie) who is probably better than all of the ones we signed and cut last year. I wanted Allen because we need 3 DL starters, IMO, and signing him would have brought it down to two. (Spencer is an unknown at this point, along with Crawford and Bass.)

To sum it up, we could be in real trouble this year on the defensive side of the ball. Jerry is going to need a repeat of 2005 on draft day (Canty, Spears, Ware, MBIII, Ratliff, Burnett), without Parcells around to help him.
  11. stasheroo

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    The Cowboys' track record of finding great pass rushers over the years hasn't been good.

And the 4-3 years between Haley and drafting Ware for the 3-4 were particularly abysmal.

I worry that if we don't do better, we'll be back to having those same struggles.

:(
  12. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Now way. I'm glad he got his money, but that's too steep for a player over close to 32 years old.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Did not know Mincey was getting 10 plus mill a year. So far in FA Dallas has turned the clock back on a salary cap
    bark likes this.
  14. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,932 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Wait and see how the season plays out. I'm not sold on that dline. Allen is great don't get me wrong but he is aging and their is a good chance that this is the year that his body starts breaking down. And outside of Allen those are all "kinda" names. Houston might be legitimate but this is a different defense and we will see if he is as productive here as he was before in Kansas City.... he also has an injury history.
  15. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Well, to tell you the truth, "we" didn't turn Ware into Mincey. Ware's play the past year and a half morphed into Mincey. It is all on Ware and supposedly his injuries. Last year, "we" paid serious coin for Ware and got Mincey-like production from him. If I'm going to get Mincey-like production, I'd rather be paying Mincey-like money. I am not happy going to Ruth Chris Steakhouse and ordering filet mignon and paying top buck only to get mince meat and a sorry explanation from the server that the chef is injured again.
    Doc50 likes this.
  16. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    This Houston played for Oakland, he might be able to slide inside and play the 3 tech too.
  17. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    1,205 Likes Received
    People scream about us not having a plan or direction until we finally show signs of having one in place, then they scream cause we don't make an exception for a 32 yr old name. Some just like to scream it seems
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    The screamers are the same people over and over. If Dallas would have signed Allen I have no doubt many of the same would be claiming Jerry learned nothing by paying out big money on a 4 year deal for a player on the down side of his career.

I would have liked getting Allen just not on a longer term deal that he likely will not finish and we would end up on the hook for his cap hit. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you did not make.
    thunderpimp91 and bark like this.
  19. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,932 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    You know, I thought he played in Oakland but when I did a quick google search, it pulled up a bunch of stuff about the chiefs player. Sorry for the misinformation.
  20. stasheroo

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    I can see your point, but, conversely I have to ask.

Are the Cowboys being responsible because they want to, or because they have to?

I'm not sure that I can give management a huge amount of credit for being economically sound when it's by necessity rather than truly by choice.

And at this point, I'm really not sure which one it is.
    bysbox1 likes this.