1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jason Garrett endorsed as Dallas Cowboys head coach

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by felix360, Dec 13, 2012.

1. felix360

felix360 Active Member

1,142 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    By NFL.com

Published: December 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM Modified: December 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones gave a strong endorsement of Jason Garrett on Wednesday to KTCK-AM, saying he could not imagine circumstances that would make the team want to replace its head coach during the offseason.

"I just think he's done an outstanding job with this team," Jones said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "There has been adversity in this season. He's handled it well. He's never complained, never blinked. I know our guys play hard for him. I don't believe anybody has refuted that. No one wants to win more games than Jason. I know he's disappointed that we haven't won more games, but at the same time, we do have a winning record right now. We're in the hunt.". Rest of article ...... http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000110612/
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,565 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    There are a lot of broken hearts right now.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,962 Messages
    3,537 Likes Received
    There will be some gnashing of teeth.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,727 Messages
    1,769 Likes Received
    7-9 might change Jerry's mind, but I don't expect a change. Jerry doesn't like to write big checks for head coaches.

But the heat is intense on Jerry, and this thing is getting stale if it doesn't start winning soon.

Truth be told, Garrett deserves three full years to fix this disaster of a roster he inherited.
  5. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,937 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I think Garrett will be the coach next year but what is Stephen supposed to say? Of course he's going to give him a vote of confidence especially after what just happened with the whole Brent situation.
  6. a_minimalist

4,565 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    That's for sure.
  7. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

775 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    5 years to turn it around...
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,319 Likes Received
    Jones has never flinched at paying out money. Dallas is doing what most would do and that is give the HC more than 2 fricken years to do the job.

Playing flavor of the month is not going to get this team back on top.
  9. elcowboi

elcowboi Active Member

844 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Not mine. I say he deserves at least another FULL offseason and year to keep this team going in the right direction.
  10. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

775 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Sing it from the mountain top, brother!
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,873 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I am starting to agree with you.

The guy has done a pretty decent job considering the absolute decimation of his defense and an oline that includes Doug Free.

The team has never once given up in any game this year even though they had plenty of reason to on several occasions. Say what you will but that's the mark of a team who is firmly behind it's leader.

Personally, if this team finishes at 9-7, I will consider it one of the very best coaching jobs this organization has ever seen and JG should get to keep his job.
  12. a_minimalist

4,565 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I say he needs 5 years to really put together a body of work to judge. I don't think we can shore up all of our problems next year. It will take two more years to field a very very good team. We're almost there.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,910 Messages
    2,835 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,319 Likes Received
    As I have said many times it is not that I'm a Garrett groupie but I respect the position of HC and when you hire a man to do the job then at least give him the time to do the job. People want success right now they don't want a HC getting 3 or 4 years to do the job and as long as some have that mindset they will continue to attack Garrett even if they don't know the 1st thing about coaching even a pee wee football team.

Garrett is not a stupid man he does understand this game more than his critics think. I think Garrett knows there are area that need to be addressed and some areas that have been addressed.

As far as I can see Jerry is backing Garrett and allowing Garrett to run things as he sees fit.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,543 Messages
    1,895 Likes Received
    They'll get over it when Garrett leads this team to where we want to go. I am absolutely convinced he will.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,792 Messages
    5,502 Likes Received
    This is more than just 'what's he supposed to say.' This is going out on a limb for a guy you appreciate.
  17. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Disaster of a roster?

He had 2 potential Hall of Famers (Ware/Witten)
    He had a franchise QB.
    He had a Pro Bowl WR and a first round WR (Dez)
    He had a Pro Bowl NT (Ratliff)
    He had Sean Lee
    He had Anthony Spencer

He had a whole slew of the same players that make up the team today: Sensabaugh, Church, Spears, Hatcher, Free, etc.

I'll definitely agree that coaching in Dallas has its fair share of handicaps, but that roster was much better than what Parcells inherited in 2003.
  18. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    The term "pro bowl player" is vastly overrated these days.
  19. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,539 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Well in 5 years he will have lost Romo, Witten and Ware. So I guess we should go ahead and just say he will need another 10 years. The 1st five to get the coaching aspect down and the next 5 to rebuild after he wasted the careers of some probowlers and HOFers. Sound about right?
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,910 Messages
    2,835 Likes Received
    Yeah, said it many times but it's an absolute joke for people to claim that this team isn't talented. We're more than talented enough to win and win big.