1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jason Garrett must let talent flow

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by felix360, Dec 4, 2012.

1. felix360

felix360 Active Member

1,142 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett must let talent flow

Jean-Jacques Taylor [ARCHIVE] ESPNDallas.com | December 4, 2012

IRVING, Texas -- Philosophically, Jason Garrett believes the more players a defense has to stop, the better, because it allows his offense to attack favorable matchups. Read more at link. http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8707734&city=dallas
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Another awful article, full of misunderstandings and inaccuracies.
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,125 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    those idiot beat writers and 'haters in the media', NFL commentators, so called experts, people who have been in actual NFL front offices, former coaches and players

being critical of RJ again

clearly ignorant of the basics of football

ever thought of sending your extensive football resume to the media outlets so you can shine the light, show them the true path?
  4. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,287 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    All Garrett supporters will think this article is trash, all Garrett haters will think it's genius.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    JJT's an idiot.

Could barely read the thing but saw the part about Beasley should never be targeted "X" amount of times because he's not dynamic enough to make the most of those opportunities?

You don't put quotas on targets. If it works out that Beasley has 10 or 15, that's how it works out. What do you do, throw to someone who isn't open when Beasley is?

The only time I would ever do something along the lines of putting a quota on a target is right along the lines with what Collinsworth said the other night.

At least a coule of times per game just throw it up deep to Dez and let him go after it.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    I'm critical of the Garrett. Article sucks.
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Article is written like a ten year-old, but one thing is for certain, Dez does need to get the ball early.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Come on, now! Gene Jock Tailor is not capable of writing anything that would remotely be considered "genius." :lmao:
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,125 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    you dont have to be a genius to see the warts on this team

GM
    HC
    OC
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,471 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    JJT is a terrible writer, but he's right here in that you have to get the ball in the hands of your best players. You can't always just take what the defense gives because they're always going to give you Cole Beasley and not Dez Bryant.

Sometimes on offense you have to find a way to take what you want.
  11. Zimmy Lives

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Then it would be obvious to even the most obtuse of us, like me! :D

No genius here. Move along... .:p:
  12. Idgit

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Whoah, there, slippery slope! Let me get my crimpons out. I said JJT wrote a horrible article. Because he's awful at his job, and because he wrote an entire article based on a premise that was exploded in a previous press conference when the head coach was asked about pass distribution directly.

And because the article contains stuff like this:

in regards to a game we won, where the offense put up 31 points and moved the ball really well both on the ground and in the air.

He's also disregarding the fact that the offense makes a ton of adjustments in the game based on coverages to make sure it gets the matchups it wants, but that's because he fundamentally misunderstands how football works even after all these years 'covering' the team. But, hey, it sounds good to an untrained ear and agitates the masses.

I've got plenty of my own criticism of JG on record if anyone bothers to read it. I just make an effort, at least, to make sure that if I'm going to pick on a guy, I use a valid point of criticism.
  13. Zimmy Lives

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    This.

Gene Jock Tailor displays shabby writing skills as it is but when he uses words like "ridiculous" and "whatever" he is the one who is ridiculous and his article is whatever. ;)
  14. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,466 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Garrett sucks. JJT sucks.
  15. Idgit

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    There we go. Middle ground. Now everybody's happy, right? :)
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    It's a balance and really should be up to the QB but I do think a special talent like Dez should create special rules. There is simply no reason why he should get one ball thrown his way an entire half. Guys like him aren't ever really covered with the way he can play the jump balls.

But the overall emphasis of spreading the ball around and attacking a defense's weakness is sound. Not only at full strength but it creates less of an issue if there's an injury when you have several guys on offense who are used to significant roles. If our offense was all Dez Bryant, what happens if he goes down for an extended period?

That's what you see in New England. Everybody has a key role. Anybody on that offense could be the star of the game. It's a week to week thing on who gets the most looks and they are the least effected by injury because of it.

But, again, the Patriots don't have a Dez Bryant and we need to take that into consideration. Treat him unlike any other player.
  17. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    I don't think Romo is very fond of throwing into double coverage, but I do agree that he should test those limits once in awhile to "send a message" to the defense that the offense can do whatever it wants. FWIW I've seen riskier passes go towards Bryant's way to let him go up and get it. You just can't make a living out of that and that's what it seems JJT is looking for.

Romo is the type of QB that will pick his spots when he wants to take shots at the defense but he has to have confidence in his receivers and the guys upfront.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's interesting notion to me that #1 WRs typically have their least productive quarter in the first, due to their offenses attempting to establish a sense of running game and balance and getting a feel for how defenses are covering them out of the gate before they can counterscheme a way around it. Unfortunately I can't find a site that does career statistical splits by quarter to prove or disprove it.
  19. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received

Dez has actually lined up on both sides of the field and also lined up as a Z reciever beside Witten.

Dallas does alot of moving around and flipping formations to find favorable matchups.

That's how the offense will find ways to attack a defense, it's just not instant results like everyone expects all the time.
  20. Idgit

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    I'm a big fan of building a roster where you actually can only take advantage of what's exposed. It's not that hard to do, really. You just need players with reasonable skills who are always where they're supposed to be. See Robinson. Harris, now, is able to do it, too.