1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jason Garrett trying to follow Nick Saban's process

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 8, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,320 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
    an 8
    3:18
    PM CT

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – If there is a coach that Jason Garrett follows more than any other, it’s Nick Saban.

It’s not Jimmy Johnson. It’s not any of the other coaches he played for in the NFL, from Jim Fassel and Sean Payton and Jon Gruden.

It’s Saban.

If you’re tired of hearing about Garrett’s “process” talk, blame Saban. That’s where Garrett got it from. He was Saban’s quarterbacks coach in Miami for two years and he likes to say he has notebooks filled with information of all the things he learned from Saban.

What Saban has built in Alabama is what Garrett is trying to build with the Cowboys.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...-garrett-trying-to-follow-nick-sabans-process
  2. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,287 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    So Garrett is following faithfully the same "process" that Saban did while he was in Miami? The same "process" that failed miserably in the NFL for Saban? That Process?

Maybe Garrett should try his hand as HC in the college ranks since the "process" works great there apparently. The NFL, not so much.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The "process' probably works great in the NFL. What doesn't work in the NFL is having a bad QB, and Saban's QBs in Miami were Gus Ferotte and Joey Harrington. I don't qualify going 9-7 with Gus Ferotte as your starting QB as a miserable failure. I guess he should have dialed 1-800-RENT-A-FRANCHISE-QB.
  4. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,156 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    No kidding. I don't get where people get this Saban couldn't make in the NFL stuff. Saban got a taste of the NFL and spit it out!
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why was he surprised he was an NFL Coordinator with the Browns in 91-94

and spent a year as a DB coach with the Oilers

maybe he forgot what it was like
  6. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

683 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    So at first Garrett was a mini Jimmy Johnson, getting tutelage from him... and then he became the new Tom Landry with the quiet persona, and now he's the NFL Nick Saban. You would think we would have won 3 or 4 championships under Garrett with some of these comparisons he's been evoking.
  7. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    He better start recruiting first round talent from highschools.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,163 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    Did you bother to ready any of the article?
  9. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,971 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Goodness gracious..

If this is true..he's mirroring Saban..we need to dump Garrett right now.

I was living down in South Florida when Saban went there and his behavior and lack of sucess with the Dolphins was legendary.

He couldn't get that situation corrected at all and had a fixed up staff there that was all let go except RED and a couple of others.

Sorry. You can take notes all you want and even carry around a video camera all day in the hopes of duplicating Saban's success..

..but the only way to do it is to step down a level like Saban did and take a college or junior college program over.

I have no doubts Red could win there with lesser talent and competition.

Go back to Princeton.

You could teach Freshman Football Philosophy 101 there AND be the HC

There you go..the answer.

:banghead: RedBall ExPrESS:banghead:
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Sabans process is about recruiting the best athletes in a borderline unethical way, and then using the superior talent to blow the opposition off the ball. If thats the 'process', we are screwed.
  11. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Agreed, that's why I don't watch college football. If it wasn't for profit sharing/ salary cap the Cowboys would have another 10 Superbowls by now. College needs to follow suit and find a way to distribute HS talent throughout the NCAA. College football will always suck as long as you have 10 top prospects going to OU but none going to SMU, and having them play one another. I'm tired of my friends telling me how great their college team is after steamrolling Montana State, hell or even U of Wyoming. It is night and day between the haves and have nots in college. But back to JG I hate him, the end.
  12. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This right here... whatever is the flavor of the moment, make Jason Garrett it... this guy must have pictures of these writers in compromising pictures, the excuses that are made for this inept 'coach'...

so let's get this straight, the same guy that Saban had was the coach for the QBs, the worst position on that team. Maybe we should fire Garrett and hire another no-named positions coach from Saban's Miami team, because per this logic, every coach under Saban must be great, provided of course they use the word 'process'...
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    There's also something called a lunatic owner, looking to undercut your authority any way he can.
  14. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Neither Tom Landry, nor Jimmy Johnson managed an 8-8 season there first two years coaching.

firing a young promising head coach is what an idiot gm does, so hang in there. there is still hope.
  15. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    what was the process in Alabama between 1993 and 2008?

why didn't that program sign the best athletes during that huge span of years?

it sounds so easy. All they had to do was sign the best athletes in the nation.

:banghead:
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,119 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

no, actually Garrett is faithfully following the "process" that has been failing miserably with the cowboys for the last 2 years
  17. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

762 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    2 bad examples there......Tom Landy took over an expansion team when they were dealt losing hands, everybody's rejects. And Jimmy blew up the whole thing his first year and by the 3rd year, had a SB powerhouse of a team.

Don't see Garrett's 3rd year being a SB powerhouse team.....hanging around .500 for a couple of years based mainly, according to many here, Romo's "heroics" and hall of fame play.

You are right about the idiot GM....JJ fits that to a tee.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,671 Messages
    1,533 Likes Received
    I really am not convinced that Garrett can coach. But his methods regarding the big picture and how to approach daily business are outstanding, IMO.

As for Saban in Miami...maybe if they got Drew Brees like he so badly wanted, things would have been very different. They had no QB there. Instead, his teams were basically .500.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,671 Messages
    1,533 Likes Received
    I agree that he didn't use the best examples. But the is a very long list of others he could choose from.
  20. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jim Zorn is the most accurate comparison for Jason Garrett.