1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jason Garrett's big flaw

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Nov 22, 2013.

1. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Kinda hard to rag on Jerry for not being a real NFL professional, but then ignore the real professional NFL management when it doesn't fit your arguement.

Pretty sure Garrett went into the Dallas situation with his eyes wide open. He knew the territory. I imagine he has some real affection for the Cowboys as well.
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,290 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    The Houston Texans have the number one ranked defense in the entire NFL..........allowing only 290.4 yards per game.

For comparison purposes, the Cowboys are allowing 432.2 yards per game on defense..................dead last in the entire NFL.

So how is Wade doing down in Houston?.................I would say Wade is doing dam good...............they are 2-9 because their QBs throws pick 6 every game (see former starter Matt Schaub).
    khiladi likes this.
  3. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Lightning struck for old Wade. Judging by his lack of a Lombardini Trophy Wade wasn't all that. If he was so good then why was he fired? Refresh my memory pls. Also, I heard he's not doing great in Houston, even with the core of very good players.
    So maybe you should back off on the wade homage. (Or not, we half plenty of room at the Forum for praising cupcake retreads.
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,468 Messages
    1,438 Likes Received
    To be fair, Wade and the Houston Texans have the overall #1 ranked defense. He has no control over their inept offense but he is doing his part.
    khiladi likes this.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    There is so many on field screw ups and bad play calls that have nothing to do with Jerry.

Face it. Jason Garrett isn't ready for this job and gives us no advantage on game days and you guys who believe in him only believe because of his genius perception that he carries with him.
    cml750 and khiladi like this.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,240 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received

this needs to be quoted

jerry is the problem, but garrett is also culpable to a very significant degree
    khiladi likes this.
  7. GimmeTheBall!

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    That is a surprise, the No. 1 ranked defense. Ever dog has his day(s).
  8. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Those on field screw ups are mostly a result of Jerry creating an enviornment where the players feel entitled. IMO.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,313 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    I would say that there is no accountability for those screw ups, crap floats down hill, but look at it backwards...the players screw up, it is on their position coach, if they screw up and say nothing, the head coach should step in, if he screws up and does nothing, the GM steps in, if he does nothing, then the owner steps on him.....hmmmmm, a break in logic there...the owner will never do anything to the GM, the GM will never do anything to his prized HC....and the head coach feeling no pressure, exerts little to no pressure on his team.....and the little horsies on the merry-go-round just continue to go up and down, up and down, always going in circles and getting nowhere...always finishing where they started
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Jerry has 3 rings to claim he and this franchise can't win is already disproven. Jimmy did not hire Jimmy. Jerry did.
  11. GimmeTheBall!

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received

Yes, to a mans here at the Forum, I think we agree Jerra hiring Jimma was the last great thing he might half done. 3 rings is impressive, but after 15 years the natives are restless. I know I yam.
  12. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Well when you say he can't win well fact is he has won with Jimmy and Switzer and before some claim well that was Jimmy team, funny how the saints fell apart because Peyton was not there for 1 season so while I'm not the biggest Switzer fan I will say as HC he won. Guys like BP had no problems working for Jerry and Jerry will do what the coach wants if they can defend their views behind the move.
  13. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    You mean good coaching isn't enough? That some other missing parts of the team game can affect even really good coaches? That players have to play?
  14. GimmeTheBall!

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received

Switzer won, yes. Wade won, yes. BP won some, yes.

your premise is an interesting one: That Jerra is indeed GM material.
  15. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I never said I would hire Jerry to be a GM but he is and that is not going to change no matter how much crying takes place. so can it work? Yes it can and has. So when people claim Dallas can't win with Jerry here fact is they have won with jerry here.
  16. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,321 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Now check what really matters, points allowed per game. What? 27th out of 32? Worse than the cowboys? rutt roww:)
  17. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I have never heard of a human being who didn't have flaws, much less a football coach. Garrett is no different. He also happens to have a whole lot of silly detractors who don't know what the hell they are talking about most of the time. It is always amusing at least. His biggest flaw is clearly that he calls games conservative, playing not to lose rather than playing to win. I actually got excited when we onsides kicked against the Saints. But then we immediately played conservative rather than open it up. We have the weapons, twist the throttle back.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,240 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    i am not sure we are fully able to discuss garrett on CZ because religious discussions are off limits
    khiladi and Chocolate Lab like this.
  19. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    True story: When Barry Switzer was named head coach in 1994, he relied on Jason Garrett to bring him up to speed on the Ernie Zampese timing based offense. Garrett knew that offense about as well as Zampese did.

Garrett was a HC candidate in Atlanta and Baltimore.

The lack of creativity is a staple of that offense. It relied on superior timing and talent. It was not intended to confuse defenses. The 1990s Cowboys didn't surprise defenses with their play calling. They were simply too good to be stopped, even if the defense knew where the ball was going.

That offense is the bulk of what Garrett runs, but he has added a few wrinkles.

It could be that Dallas simply lacks the talent to successfully run this offense. Look at Sean Payton. He had his play calling duties removed in New York, came to Dallas and was told to dumb it down, then goes to the Saints and his offense is breaking records.
  20. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,385 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Approximately 2 returned for a TD every game as well...