1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

jason white, why isn't he in any of the mock drafts

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Henson7, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Henson7

Henson7 Member

68 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the quarter back from oklahama why didn't he declare? isn't he a senior?
  2. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,961 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    I never noticed till you brought it up. Good question. I think Jason is a 5th year senior. Would be cool to find out where he is projected in the draft.
  3. HoustonSucks

HoustonSucks Active Member

679 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    He's a SIXTH year senior and has two BAD BAD knees.

Smart guy, but I'm not sure he can hold up during an NFL season.
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    White isnt in any mocks because he isnt an NFL talent...he looks like a career #3 guy to me

this is his last yr of eligibilty I think, so he'll be in the draft...just wont surprise me if he doesnt get drafted or goes very late on the 2nd day of the draft

David
  5. maloy

maloy Drama King

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    simple, he sucks.
  6. Henson7

Henson7 Member

68 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    White isnt in any mocks because he isnt an NFL talent...he looks like a career #3 guy to me

didn't he win the heisman last year?..and isn't he one of the finalist this year..looks like he has the talent to me.
  7. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received

Because he is the second coming of Danny Wuerful.
  8. HoustonSucks

HoustonSucks Active Member

679 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    More's the pity.
  9. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he's another gino torreta
  10. Roughneck

Roughneck Active Member

2,682 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Perhaps you should read that again. dbair stated that he isn't an NFL Talent and that's 100% correct.

White is an amazing College QB and one of the Best Players in the Nation. With that in mind, I doubt he ever sees serious PT in the NFL.
  11. jacs

jacs I'd Hit It

2,406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he is a product of the system
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,832 Likes Received
    Chances are White will get selected because he is looked at as a smart QB but he does not have the arm that scouts are looking for when talking NFL QB's. Also that does not mean that White will not prove these scouts wrong but at this stage he is not looked at as a QB with a lot of upside potential.
  13. Henson7

Henson7 Member

68 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he looks pretty good to me..if Leinhart is seen as a # 1 pick I can't see why White isn't up there with him. what's the difference? I can understand if his injuries make him a liability or bad investment..but as for skill I don't see anything wrong with him. All the great NFL players surely were great college players sometime ..a good college player should make a good professonal..and he's supposedly the best college player.
  14. Roughneck

Roughneck Active Member

2,682 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Should but don't. The numbers are not in his favor. Who was the last Heisman-winning QB that actually ended up being successful in the League?
  15. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,924 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    That is disproven every year. There are many Heisman trophy winners and all Americans that don't make it as good or great NFL players. There are also some guys that don't really do too much at the college level and then improve once they get into the NFL.

White may be a servicable NFL QB. I haven't been able to watch Leinhart play, so I don't know much about his skills. I see that Jason White has an average arm and has limited mobility due to various knee injuries. He used to be pretty nimble before those injuries. I see that he is smart and makes quick descisions. I also know that the system he runs gives him a chance to produce big numbers. He may not be able to duplicate those numbers at the next level.
  16. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    The same reason Josh Heupel wasn't.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,832 Likes Received
    Scouts are looking at abilities and White does not have the arm and neither did the 2 QB before White yet they all succeeded as College QB but did not have the arm to make it as Pros. I like White and hope he gets a chance to prove himself on the field but scouts are looking at physical skills and what kind of upside they see in a player moving to the next level. At best White will be a day 2 pick
  18. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Because he plays behind a great offensive line who provides him with more than 10 seconds to pass the ball. It doesn't help that he plays against relatively weak opponents sans Texas. Jason White disappointed a lot of NFL scouts in the Big 12 Championship and the Sugar Bowl last year. He just showed that he couldn't handle the blitz. And he hasn't really done anything to show that he is capable of handling the blitz this season; just ask Texas. White lacks the arm strength for the NFL game. He has more arm strength than Josh Heupel and Nate Hybl by far but that isn't saying much.

but I will agree with you that Leinart doesn't look that impressive either. USC is Florida West. Leinart plays in a system that makes their QB's look a lot better than they are. I can complete a 5 yard wheel route and then look amazing when that receiver gets another 40 yards after the catch.
  19. Waffle

Waffle Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

3,379 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can see some of you have no clue about Jason White.

He is a sixth year Senior who gained his extra year of eligiblity due to medical reasons. He's had reconstructive surgery to repair torn ACLs in both knees, however, he has not suffered any injury to the knees since their repair. In fact, he has played every game for OU for two complete seasons.

He has a much better arm than people give him credit for. Comparing his arm strength to that of Josh Heupel's is laughable.

White has actually become fairly mobile for a guy with two repaired ACLs. He's not going to get any faster though, believe me. He did wear knee braces last season and was noticably slower.

Jason White is a winner. He is dead on accurate and EXTREMELY intelligent on the football field. White also reads defenses and look off receivers better than anyone in college football. His 30TD to 4 INT ratio speaks for itself. Granted, he does play in a great system and that's going to help his draft stock. The opposite effect happened to Chris Simms, who should have been drafted higher than the 3rd had he not played in an arguably poor offensive system.

But with all that said...because of his knee injuries and the fact that pro scouts don't think he has a "rocket arm", he's risky. I have heard that he could go anywhere from the 3rd round to the 6th. It would be a major shock to see him go anywhere in the first two rounds, but that's what they said about Quincy Carter. ;)

A third round pick is not far-fetched however because of the obvious lack of QB depth in the NFL and you can believe somebody will take a chance on him.
  20. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,961 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    Excellent post!