1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jenkins: "I'm good to go."

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Nav22, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...getting-knee-checked-practicing-thursday.html

"I'm good," he said. "It's football. An injury. I got it checked out. I'm ready to move on. I'm good to go."

Interesting quote from Campo as well...

"He did pretty good today, so I feel pretty good about it," secondary coach Dave Campo said. "We'll see what happens. But we could be at full strength."

The questions is, was Newman included in his "full strength" or was Campo only referring to Jenkins?
  2. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Dun-Dun-Dunnnnn.........And the plot thickens!

Will Jenkins and Newman return to the Cowboys secondary and lead the team to victory and save the day? Or will the evil plans of Rex Ryan thwart the Cowboys hopes of opening the season 1-0?

[IMG]
  3. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,071 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    I am one who believes for Ryan to do what he wants to do this year with bringing heavy pressure, we need Newman for the long hall this year healthy.

I am happy there is a chance for him t play, but I would error on the side of letting his groin heal completely before we send him out there.

Maybe it has, but I would make damn sure, before I let him play this week.
  4. cowboyblue31

cowboyblue31 Member

379 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Sounds like Newman included to me... Though I still doubt that happens.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,571 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Maybe Scandrick is considered the new starter,,,
  7. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,446 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I'm not sure that's any good though. No practice time in a new system. It may be better that he doesn't start.
  8. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,068 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    I would also err on the side of caution and sit Newman and/or Jenkins if there's any risk of further injury. If we get beat Sunday, so be it. It's more important to look at the big picture. We play San Fran and the Foreskins next, and neither of those teams present a lot of problems for us in the passing game. Neither have a QB.
  9. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,622 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Even tho corner is the hardest to play.....

Assignment wise it is the easiest...it is not like safety or linebacker wher you have to know who has the RB...or the TE...or the second TE..or FB, ect
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Calvin Watkins is on 103.3 right now and says he doesn't expect Newman to play, but said he looked really good in drills running and moving around in all directions. He really emphasized how good he looked.

So even if he doesn't play this week, maybe he's very close. Maybe it'll be next week, and not several more weeks.
  11. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I would be ok with Jenkins and Scandrick Starting.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    I agree. Man on man is still the same as it ever was. Zone can be a bit more complicated but he should know the calls and coverages through the meetings. He is not a rookie.

Only concern I have is he physically ready if so then play him if not then sit him.
  13. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    100% agree
  14. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,344 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Whatttt no Alan Ball shutting down Santonio? :confused:
  15. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,597 Messages
    562 Likes Received

It depends. If they Give Newman a guy straight up and tell him to play man coverage all game his knowledge of the scheme would need to be minimal. Hell I'm sure Deion Sanders could count on one hand how many defensive huddles he took part in (not that Newman is Deion).
  16. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jenkins has something to prove...
  17. HoyaParanoya

HoyaParanoya New Member

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Jenkins to bounce back this year and Scandrick is a solid #2. So we have two #2 corners in my opinion. The slot corner or if scandrick moved in there, the 3rd corner is what scares me. I'm really hoping Ryan played his schemes close to the vest this preseason and unleashes hell on Sunday night!
  18. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This is dead on accurate.

It's not like the opponent is Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, or even Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger. They are facing Mark Sanchez, the dreaded Santonio Holmes, and Plaxico Burress fresh off a jail sentence.

This is about as perfectly average as an offense gets these days, so it's not like Newman is critical this week any way. Opening day is important, but this season is a marathon.