1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones: ‘By no means have I given up on Doug Free’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Dec 4, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,853 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Doug Free is certainly in the argument for most criticized Cowboys player this season. Being called for a league-high 14 penalties and constantly struggling to keep pass rushers off Tony Romo, the right tackle has significantly underperformed.

In Sunday night’s 38-33 Cowboys victory over the Philadelphia Eagles, Free allowed his sixth sack of the season, according to ProFootballFocus.com, and was called twice for holding. His poor play in the first half led to a reporter asking Cowboys coach Jason Garrett if he thought about benching Free at halftime. Garrett said he did not.

Jerry Jones gave his assessment of Free on Tuesday, saying that the 28-year-old needs to improve his punch and technique. Part of the reason Free is heavily criticized when he struggles is because Jones gave him a four-year, $32 million contract extension last year.

“I think that, first of all, we put some pressure on our tackles,” the Cowboys owner and general manger explained on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “A lot of play action helps your tackles. Some of the things we do in our passing game, we ask a lot of our tackles. So you got to take that into consideration.

“The other things is, I just think that Doug Free’s biggest asset is quick feet. You can make a case, believe it or not, that he plays better left tackle than he does right tackle. Be that as it may, he should be an outstanding right tackle. A couple years back we had him in the top five to 10 tackles in the league. I think that we can see that from him.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/jerry-jones-by-no-means-have-i-given-up-on-doug-free.html/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,853 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    That makes one of us.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,131 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    Wow, Jerry and Doug Free in the same topic...

This will bring out the haters en masse.
  4. Houstonboys13

Houstonboys13 Member

242 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    “ Some of the things we do in our passing game, we ask a lot of our tackles. So you got to take that into consideration."

You mean like block the guy in front of you for more than a second?
  5. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

616 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Running comments through the JerryJonesTranslatotron....

clickety clickety hummmmmm ummm ummm

Translation: "I paid Doug Free a lot of money, so he must be worth it."
  6. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When week after week JJ comes out and says these stupid things, I don't know how one could NOT be a Jerry-hater.
  7. MichaelWinicki

31,131 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    “I think that, first of all, we put some pressure on our tackles,” the Cowboys owner and general manger explained on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “A lot of play action helps your tackles. Some of the things we do in our passing game, we ask a lot of our tackles. So you got to take that into consideration."

Doug Free has not played well, but I get the point Jerry is making that the offense doesn't or hasn't used much play-action due to...

-poor running game
    -falling behind so quick so often
    -Garret falling in love with the shotgun

The result is that the Cowboys tackles do not get the benefit of play-action that many of the tackles do for other teams across the NFL.

Certainly many fans have said the same, "Not enough play-action".
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    :facepalm: This guy is the worst, chalk it up Jerry!
  9. MichaelWinicki

31,131 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    Hey I get the why of disliking Jerry.

I just don't get the having to pop into every thread about Jerry and having to mouth the same post time after time after time after time after time.
  10. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

864 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    can't say I'm surprised at all
  11. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,373 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Didn't watch the offensive line in the second half, or rather they didn't compel my attention in the second half.

Did we do something, like play action, to make life easier for our line?
  12. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,230 Messages
    1,148 Likes Received
    1 playoff win in nearly 2 decades will do that to a fan base.
  13. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You know what's just as annoying? The posters who complain about other posters. Just saying.
  14. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

944 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    the guy is getting beat like he stole something. Dends go around thru over whatever thaey want to do. everyplay the guy is getting pushed 2-3 yards back into the pocket. Jerry is delusional!!!
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It may be because this is his mess and he caused it. Most of this organizations problems are caused by his decisions at one level or another. He increases the hate when he tries to feed the fans this kind of BS.
  16. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

886 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing. In fact I believe it's worse.
  17. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,143 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    jerry the GM is terrible. How many times is he going to give big money to mediocre players. If you include trades, he has got to be one of the worst in the league at managing the cap and eyeballing talent.
  18. MichaelWinicki

31,131 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    You don't think that it doesn't bother us who do not complain about Jerry in every single thread?

Boy are you off base.

We just choose not to come walking into every Jerry thread dragging our knuckles with the intention of throwing dung.

We at least make an attempt to ignore the jerry-ism and see if there is something interesting, something to be gleamed here.
  19. MichaelWinicki

31,131 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    I just don't see the purpose it serves saying the same thing in every Jerry thread.
  20. MichaelWinicki

31,131 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    Fair enough.

Don't irritate us and we won't say anything. :)