1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: Jerry Jones 1053thefan recap - 12/3/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 3, 2013.

1. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
  2. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,632 Messages
    892 Likes Received
    Maybe not to you and me, but it does to those that matter: the coaches.

Regardless, I think the bigger issues with Dunbar were his nagging injuries and pass protection rather than his fumbles.
  3. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,324 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    Thanks for the summary. Did I read this correctly that Garrett said both that if the refs were substitutes they would be ridden out of town on a rail, and they are the best he has seen in 25 years? Those two statements sound mutually exclusive
  4. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,061 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    I agree. He has looked like a much more confident player in that position.

Truthfully, I thought he should have been there all along at SLB. He doesn't have anywhere near enough base strength to play DE.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,463 Messages
    8,362 Likes Received
    The Natural and dstovall5 like this.
  6. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,352 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    Short term, it keeps Sims off the field which is a major plus for the defense. Long-term, perhaps we can look forward to a few years of a solid LB corps in Lee-Carter-Wilber.
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,722 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    IIRC, we went without a FB since we were going with an extra TE in Andre Smith. Instead of looking at a FB, why don't they just bring back TE Smith and use him as a FB/TE. He seemed to be our best blocking TE. I don't think any team picked him up after we cut him. I don't even think we put him back on the practice squad.

We have two PS slots. I could see one PS slot going for a QB and the other PS slot for a RB just in case another RB gets injured. I don't see kicking the tires of another RB as any indication that the team is not pleased with Randle and Tanner. Just to have someone on the PS or roster in case another RB gets injured. It would be nice to add a small, speedy RB with some wiggle who can catch. I, personally, would try Dwayne harris in that role.
  8. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Is there a link to the interview?
  9. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Never mind, found it.
  10. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,127 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    That last part wouldn't be a bad idea. I would line him and a RB opposite of Romo and have Harris hit the flats. It would force opposing defenses to address that area and open up the middle for the run and pass.
  11. remdak

remdak Active Member

260 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Cleveland picked up Andre Smith.
  12. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Copout. Two fumbles in 5 weeks is fumblitis? You mean to tell me they couldn't use Dunbar for screens and for obvious run plays? Ugh
  13. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    fumbles. when you are given opportunities you have to take advantage of them
  14. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,632 Messages
    892 Likes Received
    Keep reading the thread.
  15. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    murray has a ton more touches too. murray has 2 but 142 carries and 39 catches
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,463 Messages
    8,362 Likes Received
    He was on my pet cat list that year and you can imagine how I've felt about changing that litter box since he's been here.

But I never really considered him a good pass rusher. So it always seemed like a bad fit to me playing him as a rush LB in a 3-4 or a down DE in a 4-3. This may be where he belongs. Or at least his best shot at proving he's an NFL player.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,059 Messages
    5,564 Likes Received
  18. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,829 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    Good points, he has had almost as many non-sack stops in the last two games as he's had the rest of the season. Also, as a DE, he was pretty negligent at protecting the edge on running plays.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,489 Messages
    6,206 Likes Received
    Dunbar's fumbling problem extended beyond games, and has been pretty well documented at this point. His original benching came about because he fumbled on what was supposed to be a safe play, but the problem had extended beyond just that game. I know people love to see the dynamic plays (I love them too), but you simply cannot play a back who cannot demonstrate that he can hold onto the football. It doesn't matter how dynamic he is. And you can't fault coaches for not playing the guy if they're not seeing the ball protection in practice. It's one of the easiest things to diagnose on film, and the steps for proper care and handling of a football are well established at this point. Either the back does it, or he does not and he cannot play.

As for Jerry's reference to not being able to get Dunbar in some games earlier in the season in certain packages, that's a reference to what he said after the NO game, where we had a lot of good stuff planned that we were unable to get to. I thought at the time that it was probably Dunbar he was referring to, and I'm sure, now, that's what he meant. I think Dunbar was going to be a fairly significant part of what we wanted to do offensively going forward, and I think his loss is far more significant that his production to-date would indicate. Sucks.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    I am VERY anxious to see how this works out the rest of the year. It would be wonderful if he proves to be an asset to our team after so many wrote him off last summer.