1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Jerry Jones can't get fooled again

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Nov 28, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- When Jerry Jones looked at the Dallas Cowboys' roster this past January, he saw a team capable of competing for a Super Bowl.

It's important to note that Jones' definition of competing for a Super Bowl is merely qualifying for the playoffs, which is technically accurate.

But the Cowboys' owner and general manager convinced himself that his team could have done what the New York Giants did if only it had left MetLife Stadium on New Year's Day the victor in the de facto NFC East title game. Or if only a couple of plays here or there had turned out differently. Or if the Cowboys had not suffered injuries to key players.

So Jones entered 2012 believing the Cowboys were ready to close the gap with major tweaks to the secondary and minor tweaks to the offensive line when you factor in only the economics of the moves made to acquire Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings.

Jones was fooled.

On his Tuesday morning radio show on KRLD-FM, Jones acknowledged that mathematically, the 5-6 Cowboys are still alive for the playoffs, leaving unsaid that realistically the team does not look ready to roll off five straight wins to perhaps get in the tournament.

He also said the final five games of the season can serve as an evaluation period.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4702151/jerry-jones-cant-get-fooled-again
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    A competent GM who wasnt surrounded with family and yes men would not have been fooled in the first place.
  3. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,933 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Wasn't he fooled with QC, thinking they could win 10 games with him. Isn't that why they got rid of Tony Banks before he even played a regular season game. So he can and will be fooled again.
  4. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    huh? was this sarcastic? they did win 10 games with Quincy.
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Jerry for President!
  6. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,246 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    8-8 and out of the playoffs in 2011. It'll be a challenge to repeat that record this year. It is what it is. Hope doesn't win championships. Mediocrity has been Jerry Jones legacy post Jimmy and it will continue if he remains stubbornly wanting to call the shots on the football side.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,422 Messages
    6,477 Likes Received
    You're ignoring the advantages of being structured this way. There's no middle man. He can take risks that fail and keep taking more risks without fear of losing his job.

That's a real boon for the team.
  8. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,246 Messages
    216 Likes Received

The only advantage I can think of is related to the bottom line financially. He pockets the GM's and OC's salaries. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if our VP of Operations, Stephen Jones, is grossly underpaid compared to other execs around the league.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    He is going to grossly fall into a third of two billion dollars some day. Meanwhile I doubt he clips coupons or looks at the dollar menu.
  10. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Did we hit the playoffs with Quincy?
  11. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,933 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Yes we did, but I still remember that presser in 2001 I think it was after 2nd preseason game. QC had a good game, and it was then that Jerry thought he had found his Mike Vick, he said something to like we got together and I asked Dave Campo, do you think QC could lead us. It was then that they cut Tony Banks. I can still visualize the presser.

I know he won 10 games with Parcells, but it was his rookie year that jerry had the rose colored glasses on with QC
  12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,182 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    not the year he did it but yeah you are right
  13. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me 17 years in a row... What the.... :confused: