1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry Jones: Garrett will be more involved with defense this year

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Really? LOL You think that as an offensive player and coach that they really do not understand defense when their job is to attack a defense and to do that you must know understand the defense, the strenght and weakness of that defense. Same with defensive minded coaches just because they are not on offense does not mean they don't understand how the offense operates because frankly the only way to attack and stop somthing is to know how it operates.
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,499 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Yup! Tom Landry was a defensive player/scheme guru but called the offensive plays for the Cowboys. It is possible Garrett can be more active on the defensive side of the ball.
  3. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received

Hmmm. Interesting perspective.
    Well, by your logic, I say get Kiffie and Marinelli more involved in the offense. They know how to attack offenses, so they just might know A LOT about how to run a defense.
    Damn. That is so ridiculous it just might work!
    (I hope Jerra do not read this Forum.)
  4. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    When is the last time that Garrett has schemed out mismatches or picked on a weak link on a defense? It is constantly two plays called, pick one based on what the defense is giving you. How is this going to produce any insight for Marinelli? Not every coach is as terrified as Jasbot is.
  5. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    If they were named HC I would expect them to be the HC of the entire team not just the offense or the defense. Claiming that a OC or DC does not understand the other side of the ball is just stupid of couse they understand it. Again fans get this idea they know all there is to know about offense or defense yet men who have spent their lives in this sport does not understand both sides of the ball?
  6. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson did not call plays at all and he was the one who had said when Jason took on the HC job that his focus should be on team not playcalling. Jerry disagreed and Jerry was wrong, Jason needs to take on the role as HC to all players not one side of the ball.
  7. GimmeTheBall!

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received

And, you, as a fan, of course, know (just know) that a guy who has devoted his life to offense now needs to be a defensive guy.
    That is the kind of thinking that Jerra would endorse.
    So put in a general in washington to economics work and half a diplomat do battlefield strategy and a typist to fix keyboards. That will work, right? And you, in the chicken poultergeist feed industry, you would know about cattle feed, huh?

You half an interesting mind. We should meet (in a very public place and with body guards) and talk shop . . .
  8. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    He is not the defensive guy that is the job held by Marinelli DC as a HC Garrett will oversee it all. Being involved in an area that played poorly last season is what most HC would do. Garrett will still have an involvement in offense, defense and special teams. As HC it should not be 1 side of the ball or the other it should be the team overall that is his concern.

I can't help that we have some very narrow minded people here that go over board with any and all comments made.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Considering Red Ball has never really showed much of a gift for being an OC I do not see how he can contribute anything to the D.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  10. GimmeTheBall!

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know!:rolleyes:

Look, Jason garrett don't know defense. Period. Point blank. That's what she wrote. Over and out. Roger, 10-4. Adieu, monsier.
  11. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    He is not taking over the defense he is the HC his responsiblity is the ENTIRE TEAM defense is part of that offense is part of that as is special team. Yes he needs to be there for the defensive and offensive meetings. As for the day to day grind that is Marinelli he is the DC and no where did Jerry say otherwise. Marinelli will call the defense and Linehan will call the offense but in the end it all falls back to the HC.
  12. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,646 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    How is Jason going to help the defense exactly?
  13. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    How would any HC? By pushing them, motivating getting after them. Jimmy was not defense or offense of coach we had OC and DC they ran both sides of the ball so what was Johnson job? To oversee everything and that is what Johnson himself has said he thinks would be the best thing for Garrett. Do you really think all the HC only deal with one side of the ball? Really. In the end success or failure will be directed at the HC as it is every wheres.
  14. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    what did Jerry call them? Oh yes a "Walk Around Coach" Jimmy and BP as HC were just that walk around coaches they did not run any side of the ball they ran the team.
  15. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,594 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    It's pretty close to football blasphemy to compare Jason to Jimmy.

Jimmy's style was to be the guy you do NOT want to make mad. I'm not sure what Jason's style is. Pat them on the back?
  16. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    It is not comparing their record and it was Jimmy Johnson himself who said Garrett as HC should give up play calling and focus his time and energy on the team. I said after the season if it were my call I would have fired Garrett not because of the offense or defense but because we failed as a team to achive our goals. He is the HC his job is the team not half the team and judgement comes in the form of wins and loses not where you ranked as an offense or a defense.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

12,607 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Yeah, Jason so instills fear and respect in his players.
    A player misses a route/assignment etc. and Jason will say: He's an emotional player. He's a team player and he will rebound just like the kind of player we know he is . . . "
    Blah, blah, blather.

Yes, i can see him pushing the defense and getting pushed back, even by the couch-to-player guys.
  18. Doomsday101

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    There are many ways to motivate fear is not the only one. In the end he will succeed or fail. Your own preconviced notions based on your personal feelings plays no part in any of this.
  19. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,594 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure Jimmy was the one who said Jerry wants to be a "walk around coach."

Not the other way around.

Someone please correct me if I have that wrong.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,738 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    That's not the topic.

YR