1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry Jones: "our defensive front is one of the strengths of our team"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dboy214, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Exactly! You never ask a GM to tell you anything between the time their season ends and the first game of the new season. It is their job to lie. And with Jerry he is a salesman first and foremost. He'd sell water to a well.

What was he supposed to do? Say at 14 we are taking the best front 7 guy available? Say my top free agent target is Mario Williams?

He can be honest at DB because everyone already knows we are cutting TNew and have Abe Elam as a free agent. That is a price issue thus no competitive advantage comes into play.
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,252 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    I kind of feel sorry for the guy, he is cleary delusional at this point. I think 15 years of losing has just taken its toll on the guy and he is just not thinking clearly any more.
  3. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's worse than that: Jerry Jones the 1st :puke:
  4. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Jerrah Jones is playing poker with the media...
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He should fold.
  6. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,387 Messages
    167 Likes Received

Sometimes you can read into body language. My bet is that they are targeting someone in draft or FA and Spencer is fall back plan.
  7. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received

Given the opportunity to grab Brooks over Spencer, I'd take it if it was fiscally responsible. I think, though, that Spencer can be signed for a reasonable contract given his limitations.

Spencer's limitation is that he only has one move and that's the outside rush. Give him someone at DE who can collapse the pocket and I think his sacks would double. Does anyone really think Harvey Martin was a great pass rusher before Randy White came along?
  8. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    If you cant find the sucker in the room .... guess what ... its you.
  9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,147 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    If it's close, I'm taking Brooks. I think he's the better pass-rusher and the more physical player as well. And his previous issues seem well behind him.

But again, Spencer is already getting one-on-one blocking now and is proving unable of beating it with any regularity.

I feel that even if we have a dominating DE eating up double-teams, Spencer will still be getting the man-on-man blocking he's already getting and he'll continue to struggle to beat that blocking.

I just don't think that he's a good enough pass rusher and don't feel he ever will be.
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This guy just can't help himself. :laugh2:
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    You do make a good argument, but I'm of the opinion that mediocrity on the DL makes the secondary look worse. Eli Manning will rip the **** out of any defense that gives him 7 seconds to throw.

Our D can stop the run OK, but gets very little pressure at all. We've got two good players in Lissemore and Ratlif, but the other DE is trash and our depth is non-existent. You win in today's NFL by stopping the pass--and considering how difficult it is to have 5 legit CBs, the best way to do that is to rush the passer. And the best way to rush the passer is to get pressure from the DL.
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Thanks for being the 2nd poster with enough sense to acknowledge these inconvenient facts.

I know it's just more fun for some to disagree with everything our owner says, even if it might have some truth or accuarcy in it.
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,709 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    According to FootballOutsiders, we had the 6th best pass rush in the league in 2011. The defensive front seven was not the problem. It was a strength. The problem was that we have a historically bad secondary. Historically bad. If we have an even mediocre secondary, Ware would have the sack title and we would have been in the playoffs.

Jerry is right. He doesn't *need* to focus any resources on the front seven on defense. But if something falls in our laps, so be it.
  14. Avenger

Avenger Member

212 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones: "our defensive front is one of the strengths of our team"

Yeah... and "Scuba Dave" Campo will make a great head coach. :banghead:
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    edit: nm
  16. theogt

43,709 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Also, Profootballfocus had the Cowboys ranked as the 3rd best pass rush in the league.

If you look at pressures and sacks on a per snap basis, Dallas's defensive line was in the top 3rd of all 3-4 defenses.

Sorry, but on this point, it's Jerry - 1, clueless fans - 0.
  17. WilmingtonHeel

WilmingtonHeel Member

910 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Game set :bow: match!
  18. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Member

266 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That's a good find and while I agree the secondary was atrocious, there is still a need for depth on the front 7, also someone who can finally compliment Ware on the opposite side. There was too many times where the guys just ran into brick walls and generated 0 push.
  19. theogt

43,709 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    According to Profootballfocus, among the nearly one hundred 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs in the league that played at least 25% of their team's snaps, Spencer was 18th in the league in QB pressures.

That means there are only 17 players in the league at a comparable position that pressured the QB more than Spencer. To me, that means his production will be hard to replace or improve upon.
  20. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,271 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Homer fan checking in here...

Jerry and Stephen are both delusiional if they feel our DLine doesn't need work. At the least, an upgrade to compliment Ware. At the most, an upgrade to compliment Ware and a big nasty plugger at NT.

Homer fan checking out... :rolleyes: