1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry says roster spot waiting for Brent

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jazzcat22, Aug 5, 2014.

1. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Active Member

445 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    coach jones says so
  2. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,018 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    The terms of reinstatement is the real factor concerning Josh Brent right now. What happens to him in Dallas, outside of Dallas, or his football career is all secondary. People will continually predict what Goodell will do based upon personal perception of orderly punishment according to set circumstances.

May as well hang that up. Very little conformity exists between different punishments handed down by the league office. The NFL Personal Conduct policy does not demand it. It's unconventional and I love it. If the players even remotely react to the level of angst demonstrated by fans, it is well worth it in my book. It establishes a level of apprehension which the players may find palpable enough to second guess committing actions detrimental to themselves, their team and the league. I'm eager to see what Roger Goodell will hand down for Brent.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    jobberone likes this.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    better then Hayden? Wow that is a high bar.
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,982 Messages
    1,638 Likes Received
    The dline depth is what it is.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    he is not worth the crap we have to put up with
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

15,982 Messages
    1,638 Likes Received
    whatever.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  7. Mookie

Mookie Active Member

263 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    7th Round supplemental which would be higher in the regular draft, more like a 4th rounder. Not to mention that when he played for us he was always making plays and around the ball. I'd love to have Brent back, especially with the current DL that is just beyond terrible.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  8. MarkP88

MarkP88 Active Member

104 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Well, now that I've said my piece on the football part of it, I'll offer my opinion on the less footballish aspect of it.

Leaving aside the fact that if any of us had the same history as Brent, and committed the same crime, we'd serve a hell of a lot longer sentences...I think the Cowboys have gone way, way, way above and beyond the call of duty in terms of supporting Brent. I think there should be a line, though. And I think, personally, that line is letting him back on the team. To me, the best thing to do would be to have the position that, "we've done all we can for you; we support your efforts to fix your life and make something of it; we want the best for you, but it's going to have to happen someplace else."

This isn't someone who had a one-off, unthinkable mistake. He had a history with alcohol. He knew it was an issue, as did the team. And yet somehow, he got behind the wheel of a car and ended up accidentally killing another human being - who happened to be a teammate and good friend. Let's also not forget he tested positive for the wacky tobaccy after this all happened. (I have nothing against that, but if you know you're not allowed to do it, and you're in the circumstances he was in...come ON, man). Accepting him back onto the team to me seems just way overboard. I'm sure even his most skeptical teammates wish him well at the end of the day, but can you imagine dressing next to this guy every day in the locker room? And how can anyone in their right mind not worry about it happening again?
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

15,982 Messages
    1,638 Likes Received
    You are not familiar with the vehicular homicide precedents in Tarrant and Dallas counties. I think you would be surprised.
  10. MarkP88

MarkP88 Active Member

104 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    You're right, I'm not, I live in NY. But if Brent's time served was actually in line with the norm down there...that makes it all okay? Personally, that doesn't change my opinion at all.
  11. Animosity

Animosity Active Member

412 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Bad press and negative attention is the last thing this team needs. Why would we waste a spot on this scumbag, who wasn't even that good anyways? Unbelievable.
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Well Brent doesn't qualify for that either.
    khiladi likes this.
  13. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    Not to come off snarky, but if anyone has ever had an addiction they would know how hard it is, and that line of thinking of hey that's great you want to get your life back together just not here will only send an addict into a deeper spiral. He has a little girl he now has to care for, and his support team is in Dallas, so I don't see what the harm is? Really outside of being there for him what has Dallas really done? They provided him the steps to help get his addiction under control, now he can repay that on the field and be better citizen off it.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

15,982 Messages
    1,638 Likes Received
    Equal protection is a a right. Nothing is going to 'make it all okay' but you guys punitive nature is interesting to say the least.
  15. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,297 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    Has he been pumping iron? How far away is he from being able to play? That's all I care about, I'm not going to pass judgement on the guy, let God and the court system do that.
    Mookie and FuzzyLumpkins like this.
  16. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,018 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    The judicial court system has done what all it shall do. Now, the court of public opinion shall deliver the ultimate verdict of truth and hellfire.

Stand back. You may get burnt.
    Kaiser likes this.
  17. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,297 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    the corrupt media and popular opinion,,, two of the scariest things on Earth.
    DallasEast likes this.
  18. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

628 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    If nothing else, Brent's return to football represents an effective part of his rehab.
    He's bearing an incredible burden of guilt, as well as other internal demons.
    I wish him well.
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

748 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Agree, I think Brent would have started over anyone we had at the 1 last year and maybe over McClain this year once he is in football shape. The roster decisions will probably be made by injuries (and after last year, I want all the options I can get) but if Brent is healthy I think the 1 depth chart is Hayden, Brent and Bishop with Coleman rotating through several positions and Hayden traded for a conditional 7th or something.
  20. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,443 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Intergrity? Do you really believe that anyone in our front office gives a damn about Josh Brent the human being? Or that we would even be considering doing this if our DL wasn't a disaster area?
    Chocolate Lab likes this.