1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry: "We’re the most popular TV show there is on television"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 9, 2014.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I put this here not really to bash Jerry...don't want to get banned from orders on high. But I guess I'm wondering where is the fine line between winning and entertainment? Despite his stint as GM, I always assumed Jerry wanted to win as owner...just wants to do it his way. I saw the posts about being all about the money but winning brings more dollars. The more quotes I see like this, the more I worry...and I've worried awhile.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...boys-are-still-the-most-popular-tv-show.html/

And if this has been posted, sorry. Just go back from vacation and have been avoiding boards for a few weeks. I looked but didn't see it.
  2. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Sounds like Jerry has redirected his ego: he knows he's not going to win anytime soon, so he finds something else to crow about. It also sounds like he's mocking the serious Cowboy fans who know how this will be received.
    Risen Star, Wayne02, NJ22 and 2 others like this.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,814 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Sad thing is I think he was actually sober for that interview for a change. He is really nut case and its not going to end well for him or the Team. Al Davis v2.0.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,196 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    What a joke that old coot is.

What does the team have to do with a country music award show anyway?
  5. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,039 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    I use to think Jerry was all about wining as well. But over the past couple of years it's become quite obvious that's not the case. This is just more evidence. He knows there are sheeple fans out there that will continue to go to games, buy his merchandise and tell everyone how Jerry and co. are trying to right the ship. He banks on it.
  6. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,091 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    http://cowboyszone.com/threads/jerry-jones-gets-booed-in-his-own-building.286796/page-2#post-5503436

He had to transfer where he stems his pride from. Building a winning a franchise? That proved to be too difficult after the "500 coaches" comment so he "changed" where he derived his pride from = $. He had to, to protect his legacy; and ego. It benefits him if fans believe that as if to say he gets a "pass" bc he is only in it for the $. What if he really was trying? That would make him look even more incompetent and foolish.
    birdwells1 likes this.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    I want to win, not be popular.
  8. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,415 Messages
    1,900 Likes Received
    Is the connection the team, Jerry Jones, and the country music award show? Or is the connection the stadium, Jerry Jones, and the country music award show? Isn't ATT Stadium going to host the country music award show next year?
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    I think it has more to do with the owner portion of this responsiblity, Like any investment you want it to grow and make money.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,567 Messages
    5,492 Likes Received
    I need an asprin.
    Risen Star and Richmond Cowboy like this.
  11. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

470 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    Nobody gave a you know what about the Cowboys in the early 2000's until Parcells got there Jerry. Once Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton's rushing record that was it for the Cowboys being relevant.

The NFL was all about promoting Brett Favre and Michael Vick until The Patriots started their run. Does Jerry really think he's gonna get a bunch of tv time if the Cowboys start going 5-11 again?
  12. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Sure Jerry, right behind Romper Room
  13. AmberBeer

3,039 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have always been relevant. They are the Cowboys. Now they haven't been winning since the 90's, but they remain relevant none the less.
  14. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,196 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    Walgreens brand is good.:confused:
    BigStar likes this.
  15. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

470 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    The Cowboys were not getting talked about a lot back in the Campo years. It was all about Brett Favre and the Packers, Randy Moss and the Vikings and The young exciting Michael Vick and the Falcons. The Eagles were getting more national attention than the Cowboys were and it really exploded when they signed T.O.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They may be relevant in certain areas, but being a winning football team is not one of them. Other teams don't dread playing Dallas anymore. If a team has a winning record, stats show that playing the Cowboys is almost a certain win. Dallas is relevant when it comes to jersey sales, revenue and their fanbase, but I would rather see them as a relevant team contending for Super Bowls.
  17. AmberBeer

3,039 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    Yet ratings for Cowboys games have always been high. Even during the Campo years
    Agree 100%
  18. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

470 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    Does Jerry not realize half the country is rooting for the Cowboys to win and then you have half that's just waiting to see if Romo chokes it away so they can have something to laugh about on Monday morning.
    Wood likes this.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    and how has that changed. half the people watching do want the Cowboys to win the other half hates Dallas. Either way they tune in.
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,889 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received