1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jerry: "We’re the most popular TV show there is on television"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,110 Likes Received
    I know when he has had strong willed and demanding HC the team has fared well. I do think this is Garrett last stand and he will either get it figured out and get this team back to winning or Dallas will be looking at a new HC. Jerry talking about Jason's job being safe in April means nothing it will come down to what happens this season. If Jerry was 100% sold Garrett's contract extension would be signed, sealed and delivered yet it is not.
    Dodger12 and Coy like this.
  2. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,032 Messages
    1,562 Likes Received
    If those, who do not count themselves among the sheep, were to organized and solidify their efforts (e.g. large scale mass boycotts, weekly home stadium picketing, etc.), wouldn't they succeed in motivating Jones to modify his football operations tactics into those they desire most (i.e. stepping down as general manager)? Or are the wolves powerless to the sheep?
    casmith07 and 5Stars like this.
  3. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,110 Likes Received
    My comment is directed at those who says he does not want to win period. He is not doing it the way you feel it should be done. Jerry has won hell 3 SB in 4 years and yes I know Jimmy was here but the fact is Jimmy did not hire himself, Jimmy never negotiated contracts with players. Jimmy had a strong say and Jerry backed him. I think for this team to win Jerry has to get a strong willed coach and back him. Putting out the cash to get players and keep players has never been an issue.

If I was the owner I would have fired Jerry however as a fan I have no say so, none of you do as much as people complain you don't have a say so in the matter, not trying to be a jerk but that is fact that is reality something many talk about around here but have no clue as to what reality is. Jerry is not selling the team and Jerry is not stepping down as a fan the best we hope for is for him to hire the Johnson or Parcells type HC who Jerry respects and will listen to.
  4. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    OK. I want to be a billionaire - but I am not going to change anything in my situation to achieve that goal.

Now tell me what is the point of my wanting to be a billionaire? What does it matter if Jerry "wants to win"? He won't change so therefore he won't win. Saying he "wants to win" is just cop-out. IMHO:cool:

Monte Sliger
  5. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,085 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    Back-handed compliment = jumbo shrimp.
  6. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,085 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    Jerry has no clue what reality is. If he had it we'd have it.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,167 Messages
    4,272 Likes Received
    you get it. [IMG]
  8. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Jimmy didn't just "have a strong say". According to Jimmy, his coaches and reputable team and NFL writers (yes, there were reputable sports journalists back in the early '90s - i.e. Blackie Sherrod and others) Jimmy had written into his contract (before he would accept Jerry's offer to be HC) that he CONTROLLED (i.e. made the decisions regarding) everything to do with football operations (i.e. roster, coaches, trainers, contracts, where and when they practiced, etc.).

Also, Jimmy DID negotiate contracts his first 2 years as HC. He said he had to give it up because he had a conflict between encouraging players by telling them (as HC) that they were "doing a great job" and then telling them in contract negotiations that they weren't worth what they thought they were. Also, he gave that job to one of his hires, not to Jerry.

Amazing!!! Imagine that .... someone giving up one job because it conflicts with his primary responsibility of HC! Whodathunkit?

Monte Sliger
  9. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    It's the re-runs that get old
  10. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,339 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Ultimately It's not about a good pick vs a bad pick, it about wins and losses and how deep you go in the playoffs. Over the last 16+ years this team hasn't had much success.

As to Jerry growing the franchise, that does nothing for fan that want success on the football field, which should be all of us. I derive no pride that JJ has found a way to increase his personal wealth by milking the brand and stadium for all it's worth.
    jnday likes this.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    You mean all those family members and Cowboys PR Dept fans and posters? :D
  12. WPBCowboysFan

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    I dont think anyone here would disagree with what you've posted, at least in principle. Some have simply acknowledged that Jerry wants to win, just not enough to change to do so. Thats not an excuse to support or back Jerry, its simply acknowledging what is obvious. Nor does it make one a Jones family member or part of the Cowboys PR Dept.
  13. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,110 Likes Received
    Fact is he has won when people say he can't or wont' he has 3 in 4 years not spin flat out fact. As I said yes he has to hire a strong willed HC but he and this team can win. I understand peoples frustration
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,346 Messages
    1,987 Likes Received

ok
  15. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,110 Likes Received
    I agree it is about wins and loses and any other GM in the leauge would have been fired. Myself I do like the fact this team is a very good profitable team and I see Jerry investing back into that team. Jerry is not cheap as owner who has paid out big money he has a right to question guys like Ratliff or any other player after all it is his money and lots of it that he is paying to those guys.
  16. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,339 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    In the salary cap era I see player salaries as a fixed cost for NFL teams, this system favors the smarter front offices because when you make a mistake you just can't pay your way out of it.

That being said JJ hasn't really invested back as much as any other owner in the NFL, he generates more revenue than any other owner because he's busy promoting the brand and getting events for the stadium. That revenue goes into his pockets not into the players, have you seen the design for the new practice facility, it's more mall than practice facility. Name another stadium in the NFL that has more distraction that AT&T stadium, pole dancers, giant scoreboard, Victoria Secrets and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Pittsburg, NE, Baltimore, NYG, and GB are just a few place that you wouldn't see that kinda stuff at, those teams make it about football while we try to make football just a fraction of the experience. Why? Because we try to take the focus off what's happening on the field.

Reporter: Hey Jerry, how do you explain 3 straight 8-8 seasons?
    Jerry: Did you know that we just booked the ACM's for next year?
    Dodger12 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  17. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,364 Messages
    1,454 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Yes Jerry, this is how we feel when you say stuff like this.
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  18. WPBCowboysFan

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    Jerry would not have been fired as GM of any other team by now, because he would NEVER EVER have been hired in the first place! PERIOD!
  19. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,378 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Just heard Jim Rome say this pretty much word for word on his TV show. My son, who hates the Cowboys, called my attention to it. It's embarrassing, sad, and (unfortunately) all true:

A Perfect 10 From Jerrah

http://jimrome.com/2014/04/10/a-perfect-10-from-jerrah/

:(:oops::(:oops::(
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    daveferr33 likes this.
  20. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,012 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    I just wish Jerry would give more thought to what he sounds like when he makes these kinds of statements. Cowboys fans don't want to be limited to simply being a good TV show -- what they DO want is to field a winning and competitive team. Is that too much to ask without these conciliatory remarks? Evidently Jerry thinks his saying that is enough to please them. He's so wrong.
    cajuncocoa likes this.