1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jim Brown

Discussion in 'Members Zone' started by Texan_Eph89, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    So this has nothing to do with the Cowboys, but Jim Brown came to my school (Williams College) and spoke tonight.
    Funny old man.
    I got his autograph too!!
  2. Hawksfan81

Hawksfan81 New Member

96 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sweet man. Thats pretty cool. NFL legend for sure.
  3. Texan_Eph89

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Word man, I was like a little kid...
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,686 Messages
    1,055 Likes Received
    Nice, he is a legend.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Did you take any pics? That "funny old man" is one of the greatest players ever. He was amazing.
  6. Texan_Eph89

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I didn't mean that as criticism.
    I know who Jim Brown is.....
    Aside from his greatness, he is a funny old man.
    His off the field accomplishments in my mind are even more impressive than his pro career.
    The man works hard for social equity.
    But no, sorry. I couldn't take any pics.
    But as soon as the school releases them, I'll post them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He's not racist, but he's a product of his time. Look above.
    We have to remember how much he had to go through.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I promise you I didn't take it that you were. I like funny old men. This one, was a man among kids on the football field.
  8. Texan_Eph89

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Well yeah, he outweighed all the linebackers that tried to tackle him.
    Jk.
    But yeah, he was the man among men.
  9. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received

SMH:confused: :confused:
  10. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,022 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Not only on the football field, but also on the Lacrosse field. A little known fact is, Jim Brown is also widely regarded as the greatest Lacrosse player to ever play the game. Can you imagine a young Jim Brown running at you with a stick in his hands? I'd probably soil my pants, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.:laugh2:
  11. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Isnt Jim Brown the guy who dissed Emmitt every chance he got in the early to mid 90's?

He sounded more like "bitter old man"
  12. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,760 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    My old man's soccer coach at Princeton tried to get him to come out in the spring and play on the lacrosse team, specifically goalie. He visited an early scrimmage against Syracuse and watched this enormous guy run through the Princeton defenders like they were cardboard cutouts and then proceed to split the cage on the goalie's mask with his shot, knocking the guy out. It was Mr. Brown of course and the old man stuck to baseball for his spring sport.
  13. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He may have early in Emmitt's career but he doesn't have anything but praise for him these days. Brown dissed a lot of RBs over the years so it wasn't like he was singling out Emmitt, he just had a particular view of what a RB should be like.

He REALLY called out Franco Harris back in the day and even had a competition against him which Brown came close to winning but he pulled up lame in the race and lost the overall competition. Harris was still playing and Brown was close to 50 if I recall.

As great a player as Brown was in football and lacrosse and what he did for civil rights he was still a jerk a lot of the time. Just ask any of the women he abused how "great" he was. One of the greatest athletes of all time but a HoF butthole as well. He has mellowed a bit in his old age from what I've seen/heard.
  14. Texan_Eph89

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It's amazing how imposing his persona is.
    One middle school teacher asked him a question on how he could get the students to do their work and Jim Brown proceeded to ask the teacher: "Let me ask you a question, what have YOU done to help them in their studies?"
    and the teacher shut up.

Anyway, yeah. He wasn't particularly affable, but I approached him and he was kind enough to say hi and give me an autograph.

I'll post the pics once they're posted on the school's network.