1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jindal explaining why Federal Stimulus is a bad deal.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    February 22, 2009

Stimulus Bill Dominates Sunday Talk Shows As Republican Governors Talk Of Refusing Aid

The recently enacted $787 billion economic stimulus bill dominated the Sunday morning talk as several southern governors discussed their decision to refuse federal assistance.
    Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal talking on NBC's Meet the Press discussed his "fundamental disagreement" over the nature of the stimulus measure, reiterating an earlier claim that his state would not accept $100 million in federal unemployment assistance.

"So many of these things that are called temporary programs end up being permanent government programs. But this one's crystal clear, black and white letter law. The federal stimulus bill says it has to be a permanent change in state law if you take this state money. And so within three years the federal money's gone, we've got now a permanent change in our laws, we have to pay for it, our businesses pay for it. I don't think it makes sense to be raising taxes on Louisiana businesses during these economically challenging times."

Mississippi Governor Hayley Barbour echoed Jindal's skepticism on CNN's State of the Union. The governor took particular objection to expanding unemployment benefits to part time workers. "We’ve never done that in our state," the governor said. "Most states do not do that. If we were to change so we get this extra federal money, then we would have to put in extra tax on job creation in Mississippi."

Other governors were eager to help plug growing state deficits with Washington's aid.

"I’ll take it," said California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on ABC's This Week. "I’m more than happy to take his money or any other governor in this country that doesn’t want to take this money, I take it, because we in California can need it."

California recently struggled to pass a budget closing a $42 billion deficit.

Florida Governor Charlie Crist was also receptive to the $12.2 billion his state was set to receive from the stimulus bill. "It's not a matter of bucking the party," he said on Meet the Press. "It's a matter of helping the people."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/29330644#29330644

This is an interesting MSNBC Video of Jindal talking about why we shouldn't accept these funds.

For complete Ratings and recommendations on appliances, cars & trucks, electronic gear, and much more, subscribe today and have access to all of ConsumerReports.org.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    That is a concern for Governors. Short term projects most have no issue with it is the long term programs that after 2 years the state then is on the hook for from that point on. Many in the media have not focused on the strings attached to this money.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received

I agree. Listen to the interview and Jindal outlines it pretty well, I thought.

For those who have not read the language, it specifically states that in order for states to receive unemployement funds from the Federal Government, you have to accept perminant program changes that basically commit your state to continuening these programs long term. Their is no clause for discontinuning or caping these benifits, as many Democrats are claiming. Essentially, as I understand it, your state is signing on to increase benifits by 100 Million annually, after the stimulus funds run out.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Hey Brain, if you've read this, I'd be interested to get your take on it. What do you think about the strings attached to the stimulus dollars?

I know you are Independant.
  5. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Gov. From Mississippi was talking about the same issue Sunday. Yes there is money for certain short term projects that would be helpful but there are some long term programs that once you take it then it will be up to the state to fund it on their own 2 years down the road and the only way the states could fund it would be through tax increases.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Thing I don't understand is, if it's just about helping people, as is claimed, then why put that stipulation in at all? Why do you have to attach that kind of permanent troff stipulation to assisting people who need a "hand up"? This is about creating a welfare state IMO. Their can be no other reason.
  7. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    It is the Trojan horse theory. Once it goes through the gates you’re stuck. Governors who are questioning this are being ranked over the coals and being called racist? I would be looking at this carefully as well before signing off on this
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,386 Likes Received
    Not even trying to hide it. Crystal clear goal to increase overall government indefinitely.
  9. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    after the 3 years........its then an explosion of State income taxes, and especially state property taxes in order to pay for the crap sandwich the Feds fed the states in the 1st place......

and with the tax hikes Obama is already throwing out...........The States only real recource will be Property Tax hikes.......
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I would say if the Governors don't want it...don't take it. If they people don't like it, they won't vote them back in. If they do like it they will vote for them again.

I actually respect if the governors turn it down because at least they are sticking to their guns and not just flapping their gums and then take it anyways.

Don't know if I would like it if I was a resident or voter in that state but that is up to those voters.

So...I have no problem with the Govs doing that. They will live or die by it with their voters.
  11. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,108 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I would go a step further and say that if my state turns down the funds I don't want to have our state having to pay the tax's, now and in the future to pay for the rest that do take it. Or the individuals in that state.

We want to opt out. Just like banks that don't want the stimulus money.
  12. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    good luck......Araanold in Calif. has already said he suck up all the money the other states leave on the table........hmmm what is their voteing pattern?
    Sean Penn et all will thank you for your support.......

.best just get ready for Son of Stimulus due this summer...another similar bill is already in the works
  13. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I dont like this bill, but my governor sure as HELL better accept all that money. My state has a sizeable budget shortfall, and I would prefer they NOT cut back on anything more than they already have. Arnold is looking at a 42 billion dollar deficit, i believe. They can't even pay tax refunds. They better take that money.
  14. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    What will you expect you Governor to do in two years when the "stimulus" money has run out and your state must by law continue to fund Barack's programs? The money will be gone and your state will be broke. Then what? You seem to lack the ability to think more than 20 minutes ahead in time.
  15. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    If my state gets their budget balanced, it won't be. Thanks for the insult, by the way. And I don't think Barack's "programs" are going to bankrupt this state regardless.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received

That's a good take on this. I suspect that there is going to be a lot of that going around.