1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by respectdatstar, Nov 18, 2012.

1. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Were we wrong in selecting Tyron Smith over Watt? Knowing what Watt has turned into, I mean.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,560 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    No at the time we had to have a OT and you still don't know what Smith will turn out to be. Smith is younger than Watt so give him time.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,931 Messages
    7,683 Likes Received
    Yep..No doubt about it in my book.
  4. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Sorry your wrong

who is the second most important player on a team

LT IMO

we needed one
  5. Idgit

31,931 Messages
    7,683 Likes Received
    Watt legitimately belongs in a discussion about DPOY. He's a game changer. Those guys are rarer than developing LTs.
  6. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes we were wrong.Watt is an animal can you imagine him and Ware on the same side?
  7. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    well your a Idgit

if you think just any one can play LT

I put LT right behind a QB
  8. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I just keep seeing players like Watt, JPP and Chandler Jones coming out of college and wish we had the luxury of taking a player like that. It seems we always have bigger needs to address.
  9. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    yes an when we drafted T Smith he was a big need

this year we go after our pass rusher

Damontre Moore*, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.

Moore was moved to defensive end for this season, and he has taken to the position quickly. Moore has shown the ability to be a pass-rushing terror, and his speed around the edge is a big mismatch against offensive tackles.

The 20-year old junior has been one of the most consistent pass-rushers in college football this season and is one of the nation's leaders with 12.5 sacks. Perhaps even more impressive than that, Moore leads his team with 74 tackles - 11 more than the next closest defender. He has 20 tackles for a loss, two passes broken up, a blocked kick and a forced fumble.

Moore had 10 tackles and three sacks against Florida in the Aggies' season opener. Moore had a sack and five tackles against Alabama. He has been banged up, but has played productively through the injuries.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Looking back a couple of years later is always nice.

I don't think anyone projected him to be what he is. He is absolutely dominant.

If you could take a mulligan, of course you go with Watt.

Not to say that Tyron is bad but Watt is a rare player.

10.5 sacks, 10 PDs......many of which have been batted right into the hands of his teammates.

He is a one man defense.

I don't even know who else could be up there for DPOY. Tim Jennings maybe, that guy seems to have the ball in his hands every single week. I absolutely love the way he attacks the ball. Throwing punches like he's going for knockouts on the football.

If I were drafting with hindsight, I'd be the best GM in all of sports.

I'm not down on the Tyron pick but having one good OL and 4 duds is only slightly better than having 5 duds. If Dallas ever decides to find players who can play next to Tyron and he develops into the player he can be.........Dallas will have an amazing OL and Tyron will be the cornerstone of a great, dominant unit.

Having one guy who can absolutely dominate an OL by himself is damn near priceless.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well said. Thanks.
  12. Idgit

31,931 Messages
    7,683 Likes Received
    Nice work. And I didn't say that anyone can play LT. I said that Watt is better than a developing LT. Because he is.
  13. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

944 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    True.

I never really wanted Smith. But in that draft I was OK with him, Watt or Jordan. Obviously it should have been Watt.
  14. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I wanted Watt pretty bad. I actually made a mock that year (which I rarely do). he brought that attitude that the defense sorely needed. Certainly exceeded my expectations, and I expected a lot from the dude.

Having said all that, it's not really reasonable to fault Dallas for picking the guy when they were really doing what the overwhelming majority of front offices and draft experts would have done at that spot.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    not surprising coming from you

that is the kind of mindset that gives us the O line we have now
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,052 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Me too.

I've been way wrong on a lot of guys in the draft, but I'm happy to say I was right about Watt.

Re: Watt vs. Smith. Everyone was all over Smith and his athleticism, but Watt had even better athletic numbers. AND just like Smith, had only been at his position for a couple of years. Both of these guys were just tapping into their potential and most people just assumed that Smith had more potential.

Time will tell on that. But we've definitely set Smith back by switching positions. Hopefully that won't derail his career. But tackles are no guarantee, one year to the next. As we all know (see: Free).