1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Carter says he's ready for QB competition

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by ravidubey, May 15, 2004.

1. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Carter says he's ready for QB competition
    10:27 PM CDT on Friday, May 14, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Quincy Carter said he's ready to compete with Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson and Tony Romo to be the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

He's also ready to compete against Vinny Testaverde or any other quarterback coach Bill Parcells and general manager Jerry Jones add to the roster.

Under Parcells, Carter said he knows the best players will play.

Carter said his job is to prepare himself for success. So that's how he spends his days.

He's doing yoga to improve his flexibility and durability. And he's already studying film of next season's divisional opponents, especially the Giants and Redskins, because they changed coaches.

And he's going to have the same coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in consecutive seasons for the first time.

That's why Carter – who passed for more than 3,300 yards with 17 touchdowns and 21 interceptions as Dallas advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999 – said he looks forward to competing for the starting job.

Carter figures he's never been more prepared to be an NFL starter.

"There's always going to be competition. I understand that," Carter said Friday in his first public comments since the Cowboys traded for Drew Henson in March.

"The most important thing is that my teammates expect me to be a leader, and that's what I want to do. That's why I'm working as hard as I am this off-season."

Carter made his comments at the Central Public Library in downtown Dallas, where he teamed with Mayor Laura Miller and Dallas Independent School District superintendent Dr. Mike Moses, among others, to officially kick off the 2004 Mayor's Summer Reading Program.

Carter read Gene Zion's Harry the Dirty Dog to a group of about 75 elementary school children.

"When you come to an event like this, it puts football in perspective," Carter said. "It reminds you how important life is and how you can't get too caught up in football.

"As athletes, we have to understand the effect we have on kids. If I can put one smile on a kid's face, it is important. You never know the impact you might have on a kid just by showing up and giving a few minutes of your time."

Briefly: Pro Bowl guard Larry Allen, who had been the only player not participating in the club's off-season training program, has resumed workouts at the club's Valley Ranch training complex.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com
    Regarding the following lines: "When you come to an event like this, it puts football in perspective," Carter said. "It reminds you how important life is and how you can't get too caught up in football. I wonder how that registers with BP... According to his NFL Films interview he believed football must be a top 1-3 priority for any true "BP" player.

I believe Carter has finally learned how to say the right things thanks to his confidence in the coaching staff. In his heart I think he believes he's more talented than almost all other NFL QBs.
  2. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,730 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Qc , must have hear BP's press conference in which he said the best players he ever had welcomed the competition :D J/K

This is the right attitude for QC to adopt. I hope all of our QBs excell. I'm rooting for whichever one can take us to the promised land.
  3. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Atleast one columnist writes a feel good article about Carter every off-season since he's been with the Cowboys.

2004 is do or die.
  4. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,010 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I really like Carter the person, and I hope like hell Carter the QB is sucessful. I'm afraid at best he's a bus driver, it all depends on his accuracy and how quickly he progresses through his reads. Those are his two biggest faults, unfortunately those are huge faults.

This is his 2nd yr in the same system with a great staff, it's now or never time. Same can be said for McNabb, not more excuses you have your star widout, no more going to the bench with a booboo when you're getting your butt kicked in the playoffs.
  5. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Every year he wins the starting job.

And this year Dallas goes deeper into postseason
  6. twa

twa Active Member

1,053 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also like Carter as a person,but after suffering thru his growing pains[wich I fault the FO for ]I believe he needs to produce this year or be replaced.The cowboys great tradition at QB demands better.
  7. jamez25

jamez25 Active Member

1,617 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    the one thing you cannot question about QC is his work ethic.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    He's the bomb, greatest thing since sliced bread.
  9. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But what was the greatest thing BEFORE sliced bread??
  10. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmmmm........
  11. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree. I think he's been the best DallasCowboys QB since Troy Aikman. ;)
  12. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    QC seems to have matured a lot off the field in his 3 years, lets hope his on the field play has matured too.
  13. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Tell them about Ice Boxes
    Refrigerators are the greatest. :eek:
  14. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Being facetious huh? Let me try....Drew Henson is the savior of the Dallas Cowboys.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    We can all crap on Carter all we want but in the end, in the last three training camps, he has been the best QB and won the starting job. That says a lot about the QBs we have had but still, he has won (even in 2002 when Coslet conspired against him).

That being written, I am all for competition and believe it brings the best out of everyone.

If he is the best in camp, he should start. If if it Henson he should start.
  16. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Coslet was right, he knew Carter was regressing, a erratic at best passer, unable to read defenses or hang onto the ball. (Although he is getting better at taking a snap ;)) ...
    Fella's I am afraid that Carter might not even be the 3rd best QB on THIS team...THIS year!
  17. twa

twa Active Member

1,053 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is sad the QB situation ,The way they have let it go to hell!! Even after white at least pueller was decent,unlike Q's 1st year.
  18. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Either fire or the wheel.
  19. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Uh, I was actually talking about JJT. ;)
  20. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    No, I wasn't being facetious. I also wasn't talking about our QB. Notice I named no one.

I like it when you guys assume stuff. ;)