1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

JJT gets props for latest Romo article

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,712 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    100% agree, he is a perfect example of not having to win a SB and being considered great. Marino is another one.
  2. plymkr

plymkr Member

97 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Who's been the weakest link since '97? Again Romo has not been our starting qb since '97. I also would strongly argue your suggestion that the defense was not the weakest link in that loss to the redskins. How many rushing yards did the redskins get? In NFL history how many teams win a game when the other teams rushes for 270 yards? I don't care if it's pre season, regular season or post season. Yes Romo completely screwed up in that game but to say he was our weakest link I feel is not accurate when the defense was involved.

But moving past the redskins game, does Dallas even have anything to play for if Romo does not play the way he did in the last half of the season. It makes me laugh when people say Romo is 2 of 6 in win or go home games. In November and December if they lose any of those games we were eliminated from the playoffs. If we lose to the steelers or bengals then the redskins game is a non-nationally televised divisional game that flys under the radar cuz Dallas was eliminated and the skins don't play their starters.

My main point/gripe with Cowboy nation and the national media is no qb, or player for that matter, can be expected to be talented enough or play perfectly enough to get a team to rise above the culture of losing that Jerry Jones has produced in the last decade. As I've said in other threads Jerry has made himself the uncontested face of the franchise and he is a loser. As Gm's go he is a loser, his post Jimmy Johnson drafting is sub par and his FA pickups have been spotty at best. I give Jerry credit for Dware, full credit, he over ruled Bill and took Demarcus, but that's about it. for every Dware he's given us he's also given us Shante Carver, Kavika Pitmman (when Brackens was there and we traded down), Quincy Carter. In FA he got us Drew Bledsoe, Quinton Coryett (sp), Dat Dude etc. If Jerry's GMing was a player he would have been cut years ago. So therefor Jerry the owner has failed to be a good owner because he will not fire the GM. It also makes me laugh when people separate Jerry the owner from Jerry the GM, in my mind they both have failed because of our record since '97.

Lets not throw too many stones at Romo when the alternative is Quincy carters, Clint Stoeners, Bledsoes. We're lucky to have Romo and very unlucky to have Jerry Jones. We're lucky Jerry found Romo and signed him because without Romo we wouldn't have even been in 6 elimination games in the last decade. Don't forget how we were eliminated from the playoffs before thanksgiving with the likes of Drew Hensen and Vinny intercepteverde. Am I a Romo apologist, sure, I guess I would classify myself as that but before I got to this point I did a lot of re-watching old game film of pre-Romo and I remember how bad we were.

I completely disagree that Romo was the weakest link in the skins' loss, but I will give you he was a very strong second. the weakest link was the defense. Now did Romo play good enough to win if the defense doesn't allow 270 rushing yards, probably not. Romo played terrible that game and with an average defense we would have lost. but the real question is; is the redskins game even worth watching, get nationally flexed, or even be a blimp on the NFL radar if Romo doesn't play the way he did in November and December.

And why does the media and cowboys' fans want to bury Romo when the obvious weakest link is Jerry. I hate to say this but Dallas has no chance as long as Jerry is alive, I know it, you know it and the media knows it. that's why they picked Romo as the convenient scapegoat. The real problem isn't going away, or retiring soon. No media is going to write Jerry needs to die before the cowboys will be competitive because he's too stubborn to do what needs to be done. People don't want to read that because it's the truth. When Romo is gone and Jerry is still here everyone is going to realize what we had and what we will have until Jerry either dies, or puts his ego aside and gets help.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    That left a mark.

We can defend Romo with our hearts all we want, but he has to prove it on the field in something other than stats. He has to make players, coaches, and even fans believe that he can actually come through in the clutch.

Until he can do this, he is still the biggest question mark on this team.
  4. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    You had to go and quote someone on ignore...thanks. :laugh2:

The biggest question mark on the team...you serious?

Anyway, the way I see it Romo does have to still prove he can get it done when he has the right supporting cast. I will grant that much. For anyone here that thinks Dallas has put together anything here that constitutes good supporting cast...well I would have to laugh. The only thing close was 2007 and that was when Romo had about a grand total of a season and a half of starts underneath his belt.

For all the abuse Garrett and Jerry Jones take on this board along with Dallas history of futility the past 16 years, to lay the lack of success on Romo is borderline asinine IMO.

Are we really saying Jerry and Jason are pretty good, they just need a QB???

Let me ask you a question, how many playoff games did Aikman win when the team was not absolutely loaded with talent?
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,584 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    The point I was trying to make is that if a Top Tier HOF QB like Elway struggles to get to and win a Superbowl, then Tony Romo is going to need more help to get there. I dont think Tony is a HOF QB any where near Elway so I think he needs an OL and a running game (or at least a turnover type defense) to get the team to the SB.

Right now, ALL of the offense is on him and thats not going to work well all the time.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,818 Messages
    1,602 Likes Received
    Don't bother.

Anyone going all the way back to high school to bash someone has lost all perspective. I wonder if anyone that does that has bothered to notice the other obvious part of losing in the playoffs at every level regardless of how crappy your team is. Uh, Class? Uh, Anyone?
    Ah yes...the little fact that at every single level he actually QB'd a team TO the playoffs, regardless of how bad they were. The guy was freaking national player of the year (Walter Peyton Award) at his level and his team was not too great, yet won the conf titles. But whatever.
    There are two sides to that lame garbage.

it's not like before the NFL guys like Eli were winning HS State titles and NCAA National Championships...good grief. Some did (Brees and Stafford in High School for example) but most did not. It's just so silly.
  7. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Sorry for doing that...:D

And no I don't think the problem all lays at Romo's feet, but he shouldn't be given a pass by saying its the OL or the defense either. Both of those aspects of the team have been good in the past, and Romo has still failed.

In a big game, Romo almost always throws high early in the game. Is there a stat for this, no but its something that is obvious if you have watched him play. Big games affect him usually negatively, and there is really noway to avoid seeing it other than just being in denial about it.

Jerry and Jason have done one thing well lately, they have added young talent to this team. Jerry will hand out a big contract to a guy on one leg, but he has been bringing talent in draftwise lately. All we can talk about is right now, the past 16 years we can't do anything about, and right now Romo is just as much of a problem as they are.

We win and lose as a team, but a certain point we have to look at what is currently going on with the team. Right now, if you like to lay blame (which I'm not a fan of) then you at least have to consider Romo part of the problem. He's not the only issue of course, an UDFA QB shouldn't have to carry a franchise, he should be a bus driver, but he shouldn't be given a pass for choking year after year either.
  8. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,133 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Gotcha, we seeM to agree then.
  9. ufcrules1

6,712 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Romo was 100% the weakest link against the Redskins. That crappy defense still gave him the ball back with 3:25 second and 3 timeouts, yes.. even after he had turned the ball over 2 times. Anyone saying he wasn't the weakest link is sadly mistaken.

What about the games Romo choked away during the regular season? Giants and Chicago off the top of my mind? Also, the games we won weren't all because of Romo. Our offense struggled big time early on in the season. We looked pathetic against teams like Tampa, Carolina, Philly, Cleveland, etc. It just so happened they were a little more pathetic than us. Not that Romo was a great QB and led us to amazing victories.

2-6? He is 1-6 in win and your in/playoff games. What people are saying out there is factual and also sad.

Completely agree. Jerry is BY FAR the biggest problem Dallas has, there is no doubt about it. With that said, Romo does play a role in our problems here too and to deny that is being blindly dishonest with yourself.

No, the alternative could be players like Kaepernick, RG3, Luck, Dalton, & Wilson. It's not like we fall off a cliff when Romo leaves. Yes, we drafted poorly in the past at QB and paid the price but that doesn't mean that is what had or has to happen going forward.

Oh wow.. we have been in 6 elimination games. Thank goodness for Jerry going after the undrafted Romo. I guess there were no other QB's we could have gone after during that time that would have been any good huh?

Yes, you are a Romo apologist. Just because you watched old game film of crappy QB's we drafted because of stupidity doesn't make Romo a great QB. There were a lot of quality QB's we could have gotten if Jerry wasn't so stupid. Instead we got horrible QB's due to poor drafting.

The media doesn't know Jerry like it knows Romo. As far as Cowboys fans.... we ALL know Jerry is the biggest reason for our teams pathetic culture. He is more in love with Romo than you are. He will hold on to Romo until he is worthless and has zero trade value thus hurting our team even more.
  10. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,225 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    You're right. Our weakest link wasn't the defense that surrendered 270+ yards rushing. Or the O-line that couldn't seem to muster anything in the running game. Heck it wasn't even the coach that had no adjustment for the constant pressure up the middle. It was all Romo.

Romo was not good that night. In fact, he was flat out awful. Here's a newsflash for you. That entire football team was awful that night. From the coaching staff all the way down to the water boy. Demarcus Ware played one of the worst games I've ever seem from him (granted he was less than 100%). The magic had run out for the band aid crew on defense. For the record, the 18 points that Romo led the team to that night was enough to beat the Redskins the following week (you know when the Skins faced an actual defense).

Was Romo a weak link that night? You bet. Weakest link? He was no weaker than the rest of his counterparts. That was one of the worst coached games I have ever seen. On both offense and defense. Romo has been hung out to dry (and to a certain extent, rightfully so), but to lay that loss entirely on Romo is short sighted. Without Romo, they would have never even been IN that game.
  11. ufcrules1

6,712 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    For the vast majority of that game Romo was afforded time to throw the ball. He was off with a ton of his throws and his 3 interceptions absolutely buried his team. Millions watching saw it and know he was the reason Dallas lost.

That horrible defense you talk about, gave Romo the ball back down 3 with 3:25 seconds to play and 3 timeouts. Romo had all the time in the world to win that game. What does Romo do 6 SECONDS LATER? Hikes the ball and throws to Murray without even thinking which is TYPICALLY Romo in high pressure situations.

Romo was 100% the weakest link in that game, I know it and the millions of people watching the game know it too. There is an extreme minority that can't accept it.
  12. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,741 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received

:romothumbsup:
  13. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,792 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Romo threw a killer interception...but he had help in this game. DeMarcus Ware looked like he just started playing football the day of the game
  14. BubbleScreen

BubbleScreen Member

829 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    What a shock! Romo cant always do it all on his own. Was the last game Romo's fault? Sure. But for the season you need look no further than the defense who couldn't stop anyone or get turnovers when needed.

JJT slams Romo for only 5 come from behind wins in '12. What a joke.
  15. plymkr

plymkr Member

97 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    "Romo was 100% the weakest link against the Redskins. That crappy defense still gave him the ball back with 3:25 second and 3 timeouts, yes.. even after he had turned the ball over 2 times. Anyone saying he wasn't the weakest link is sadly mistaken." - I simply disagree with that statement. You're forgetting that I said Romo was a strong second as a weak link, but as Jimmy Johnson always said: Defense wins championships and offense puts butts in the seats. What are the numbers of teams that won games in the NFL in pre, regular or post season with the defense surrendering 270+ rushing yards?

"What about the games Romo choked away during the regular season? Giants and Chicago off the top of my mind? Also, the games we won weren't all because of Romo. Our offense struggled big time early on in the season. We looked pathetic against teams like Tampa, Carolina, Philly, Cleveland, etc. It just so happened they were a little more pathetic than us. Not that Romo was a great QB and led us to amazing victories." - Dallas beat the Giants in New York and came from Dez Bryant's finger to beating them again. Chicago was a horrible game and Romo played bad, no argument there. But the rest of the games you cited Dallas won. Not sure what you mean by this statement

"No, the alternative could be players like Kaepernick, RG3, Luck, Dalton, & Wilson. It's not like we fall off a cliff when Romo leaves. Yes, we drafted poorly in the past at QB and paid the price but that doesn't mean that is what had or has to happen going forward."- Not sure what you mean here again. You agree with me that Jerry has drafted poorly with QB's but say that doesn't mean it has to happen going forward. Jerry brought in Romo, so Romo is the best of the bad quarterbacks that Jerry has drafted/signed since Aikman retired. Ok, I completely agree. What I don't see is any hope that once Romo leaves Jerry will bring in a quality qb. Jerry is still the one who will make the final call and he's not going anywhere. You say it doesn't mean it has to happen going forward. What insight or evidence do you have that Jerry can get someone better than Romo.

"I guess there were no other QB's we could have gone after during that time that would have been any good huh? "- Again, you angrily say the same thing which agrees with my overall point. Jerry runs the draft, FA and everything. Yes there were qb's Jerry could have drafted/signed but he didn't. If you read my post I make it clear Jerry the owner and the GM have failed us

"Yes, you are a Romo apologist. Just because you watched old game film of crappy QB's we drafted because of stupidity doesn't make Romo a great QB. There were a lot of quality QB's we could have gotten if Jerry wasn't so stupid. Instead we got horrible QB's due to poor drafting."- umm yeah, once again this is the same statement just regurgitated in an angry manner. I completely agree I am a Romo apologists because I am not suffering from selective memory. And if Jerry wasn't so stupid we'd have an overall better team and we have had horrible qb's due to drafting. But we have Jerry and Romo is the most talented qb since Aikman and if recent history shows us anything is Jerry is more likely to fail in his GMing than succeed. So we're lucky to have a qb like Romo with the GM like Jerry.

In summary I've never had someone argue with me using my own points. Do I think Romo is the best qb in the league, Nope. I believe he is a talented qb, top 10 talent in the league and he can win in this league. But football is a team sport and Romo is one player on a below average team. Romo's play has made up for the team's deficiencies the last several years and that has teased us into thinking Dallas has a shot. Then come playoff time we lose and everyone blames Romo. These playoff times expose the team's deficiencies, e.g. 270+ yards, which makes Romo feel like he has to win the game by himself, he presses to play perfectly, plays like crap and we lose and everyone talks about how bad Romo is. The problem is even if Romo played perfectly and we win in washington we would get blasted by the Seahawks the next week due to them having a better football team. After the Seahawks playoff loss everyone would have blamed Romo. Romo is not talented enough to overcome Jerry's GMing. We do not have a good football TEAM. Jerry has not shown the ability to put together a good football team. So nitpick Romo all you want but at the end of the day Jerry is still putting together the "team" and these teams have sucked. What will change when Romo is gone is we won't have a top ten qb who can make up for the deficiencies of the whole team being poorly put together. Aikman couldn't do it, neither could Emmitt or Irvin or Sanders. The more we got away from Jimmy's team and Jerry started being "the man" our overall team has declined. It is unfair and unrealistic to think Romo can carry this team past Jerry Jones' decision making. No player in NFL history at any position can do what your asking Romo to do.

So I concede defeat. It is completely Romo's fault we lost the Washington game. You got me, I'm a Romosexual, Romo Apologist, My favorite cowboy is Romo and I concede the argument that the washington loss was his fault. But Dallas not making the playoffs is NOT his fault. That is Mr. Jones fault, just like it's been since '97 when Romo wasn't even on the team and HOFers Aikman, Smith and Irvin couldn't win playoff games with Jerry Jones "teams".
  16. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,969 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Easy to blame Romo.

Also easy to blame, lack of consistent running game, defense that cant get takaways, crap oline, iffy(to say the least) play calling at times, bad clock management, a defense that lost the middle of itself, Ogletree, Miles appearing to degrade in skill, no gameplan adjustments.....

Too many things wrong with this team to just blame Romo. He can win a SB but he just needs more help than guys like Rodgers, Brady, and P. Manning because he is simply not as good as them. Not many are.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,944 Messages
    425 Likes Received
  18. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,818 Messages
    1,602 Likes Received
    3-13 or 4-12 without Romo in 2012

There is a bigger picture than a few plays in a few games
  20. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

668 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    This. If you guys think things will magically improve if we dumped Romo you are sadly mistaken. Romo is what keeps this team from pulling a Campo era 5-11 the past two seasons.

Give Romo some good coaching, solid talent around him and great things can occur.