1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT - Jerry admires Harbaugh while as he blocks Garrett

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh has resurrected a dead franchise.

In two seasons, he has made two appearances in the NFC title game. Now, he's headed to the Super Bowl, while Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is traveling to the Senior Bowl looking for prospects.

Sad, ain't it?

San Francisco is 24-7-1 with a pair of NFC West titles, while Dallas is 16-16 without a playoff appearance the past two seasons. Jerry Jones must look at San Francisco's success under Harbaugh and shake his head.

After all, the 49ers hadn't made the playoffs in any of the nine seasons before Harbaugh arrived. They had gone 46-82 and finished as high as second place just twice since 2003.

Only once had they won as many as eight games.

Pathetic.

Harbaugh has changed all that. He has written a new narrative. In the process, he has fulfilled his destiny as a football messiah.

Harbaugh has changed the culture and produced wins.

Garrett's process to build a winner with staying power works. It's the same process Nick Saban has used to make Alabama and LSU winners.

The problems is Garrett is a process-oriented coach working for a results-oriented owner and he hasn't won enough games to quench Jerry's thirst for success.

You wonder if a coach -- even one as good as Harbaugh -- could thrive in such a dysfunctional organization.

Garrett has one more season to prove it. Or someone else will get an opportunity to be neutered by Jerry.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/i...dmire-jim-harbaugh-path-blocks-jason-garretts
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    I happen to think this is another bad article by JJT, but I do love this line:

Now, I don't agree that the organization necessarily sees this as a problem, but there is probably a race between the process taking hold alongside enough results to continue the experiment. I just haven't seen much evidence to suggest that Jerry doesn't understand the situation, too.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    I think it may be the finest article he's ever written. A dose of smelling salts to the homer mind.
  4. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,864 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Just when you think JJT cannot go further, he finds a whole new level of attainment!

.. and my comments have nothing to do with pro/anti-Garrett opinions .. just the quality of writing.

/reality
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    There's no reason it can't be both. The man's not good at his job.
  6. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    to say: because Harbough has/used a 'process', and Saban has/used a 'process', then Garrett will be a success because he ostensibly is using a 'process' is nonsense. And here I thought all coaches used a process....why don't they all win??:confused:
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    No kidding. Jim Zorn had a process, too.

But JJT is a huge Garrett fan, so...
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,505 Messages
    409 Likes Received

Excellent article by JJT!

Nice to see locals stepping out over the plate to take a swing at the ol' slow Jerry ball being served up for an easy home run... as well as National writers.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
  9. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,298 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Typical JJT. Meanders around a point, while (attempting) to cover all bases to appear right and/or knowledgeable.

Point:

"The truth is Harbaugh is everything Jerry hoped Garrett would be the day he hired the Princeton grad, who had never, ever been a head coach. Harbaugh had been a successful head coach at the University of San Diego and Stanford before taking over the 49ers. He made his dumb mistakes and questionable decisions a long time ago. Garrett's errors get displayed on the professional sports' biggest stage."

So, JJ made an error in selecting Garrett, due to his lack of experience.

Jones fault.

Point:

"Garrett's process to build a winner with staying power works. It's the same process Nick Saban has used to make Alabama and LSU winners.
    The problems is Garrett is a process-oriented coach working for a results-oriented owner and he hasn't won enough games to quench Jerry's thirst for success."

OK, while Garrett may be inexperienced, the real problem is a mismatch between a process oriented coach, and a result oriented owner. Which means, a coach such as JG or Harbaugh, could not work with JJ.

Jones fault.

Point:

"Jerry's considering firing Garrett as the playcaller and replacing him with offensive line coach Bill Callahan or someone outside of the building. Doing so will complete a thorough neutering of the head coach that began in the owner's mind the night Washington ended Dallas' season with a 28-18 victory."

So, placing aside hiring an inexperienced coach and a mismatch in philosophy, JJ is undermining Garrett's position with the team.

Jones fault.

"So if the Cowboys have success next year, Garrett won't be getting any credit for it."
    "Garrett? He's only going to get credited for staying out of the way. See the situation Jerry has created?"

Despite inexperience, conflicting philosophies, and undercutting his authority, Garrett won't get credit for anything next year, no matter how positive (of course, if negative, it's all his fault).

JJT. It's Jerry's fault. And he predicted next season. No matter what happens. :laugh2:
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,742 Messages
    5,902 Likes Received
    That is a very low bar of achievement.

One lady says to another, "how's the potty training going with little Jimmy"?

Answer: Well we're making great progress, it's been 5 years now and we've gone from 40 poops in his pants per day down to 39.
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    What happened to Saban's process in the NFL while at Miami...didn't process quickly for pro guys?.....
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,941 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Should Dallas ever manage to win another Superbowl under Jerry Jones I actually can't wait to read the spin from the media and folks that take all these shots. It will be comedy at it's finest to see how they try and spin things if it ever worked under Jones again.

I'm not saying it will or won't. I don't pretend to know everything like some people try to.

But other than my Dallas Cowboys winning another championship the second best part of that will be the back peddling and spin control from comments and articles like this.
  13. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,517 Messages
    1,727 Likes Received
    I must admit that in between celebrating, I would enjoy every second of the media eating crow. A lot of people forget that in the 90s Jerry AND JIMMY were considered a joke until we turned it around really fast. But for some strange reason all those who had taken pot shots had selective memory about the comments they had made. Funny how that works.
  14. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nick Saban is the new flavor of the moment that Garrett is supposedly like, you know, because he likes the word process... man, how myth turns into truth just by media-spin... Garrett has been given all the tools to succeed... If a crappy record and no plaoff births for over a decade are reflective of a stinky culture with the Cowboys 'front office', it is so with the 49ers...

Please spare another Garrett defense article... Garrett's been given enough to prove himself..