1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Jerry needs to keep Garrett around while coach learns to win

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 16, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,238 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett needs to stick around

Coach must be allowed to learn on job because it gives Cowboys best chance

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In his first 29 games, the best coach in the Dallas Cowboys' illustrious history went 5-21-3. In his first 29 games, the second-best coach in franchise history went 7-22.

Oh, the nasty things folks said about Tom Landry in the early 1960s and about Jimmy Johnson after he replaced Landry in 1989. Of course, at the time, fans had no clue about the legacy each man would leave.

When Landry was criticized early in his tenure, Tex Schramm responded by giving him a 10-year contract. When Jimmy came under scrutiny, Jerry Jones gave him a long-term extension.

If Jerry still believes in Jason Garrett, his hand-picked coach, then the owner should let the players, fans and media know he has no reservations whatsoever about the long-term direction of his franchise.

He should give Garrett, 15-14 in his first 29 games, a five-year extension.
    Right now.

That's right, Jerry should lock up Red J for the foreseeable future before the month ends.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...nes-needs-keep-jason-garrett-coach-learns-win
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Good luck with this JJT. I have told this same story several times. It tends to go right over people heads.
  3. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,858 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yep, this article is not going to be to popular around here.

It seems like everybody wants JG's head on a platter.
  4. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Who new that head coaching in the nfl was more like an apprenticeship on the job training thing?
  5. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Unless you are ripping players, coaches or Jerry nothing is popular around here. :laugh2:
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Garrett should get a 5 year extension with minimal results?

If Wade had gone .500 in his first two years here w Romo, Ware, Ratliff, Witten etc...would JJT have written a similar article about him?

Obviously not. Because he was old. And didn't have this 'genius prodigy' myth attached to his name. What benefit do we get for keeping around a coach who clearly can't coach? Is he somehow going to learn the job? After 5 years? When you could easily hire someone who already knows the job? In a parity-driven league, do you really believe that Garrett is the one guy who will create a dynasty? What evidence do we have that Garrett is even capable of making the playoffs? Let alone winning the Super Bowl.

This is a different NFL. When your head coach sucks, you don't stick with him and let him learn the job. You hire someone else who actually knows what they're doing. Because it is absolutely possible to win right away. Other head coaches in this day and age don't take 7 years to attain success.

Because Garrett played for the team in the 90s and has a good education, people think he's going to magically return the franchise to the glory days. But there has been ZERO evidence that he--or anyone else for that matter--is capable of doing so. So what on his resume justifies more time?

It's all hype.

I just can't decide who is more responsible for it--JJ or the media.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    Media have apologists now?
  8. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,952 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    The difference being that Landry was given an expansion franchise with no talent and Jimmy had one of the worse teams in the league. Garrett's been in charge of the offense since 2007 . This team supposedly has talent although it's hard to see at times. It's hard to give him time when you see rookie coaches like Jim Harbaugh turn the 49ers into contenders overnight.
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Not exactly a rookie, he was HC at University of San Diego and at Stanford
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    This sure reads like a 'Look at Me' type article from JJT.

The absolute wrong time to talk about giving Garrett a contract extension and Taylor chooses now to write this?

Yeah, methinks this is a serious cry for attention.

And for the record, the rosters that Landry and Johnson had to work with when they started out render any further comparisons moot.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    LOL, Ben and Skin just had JJT on to explain himself and he got all huffy and frustrated when questioned. Almost started yelling at the hosts. Hilarious.
  12. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    Why are we even paying a coach that needs to "learn to win" in the first place? Much less extending him until he does?
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    A tough thing to ask for patience while someone 'learns', especially when the prime years of the careers of Romo, Witten, and Ware are passing by in the process...
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,076 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    This was why I was concerned when he was hired as HC. I thought we needed to bring someone in with some experience to take advantage of some of the veteran talent we had.

The window ain't big enough for the coach to learn on the job. Bleh.
  15. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I wish Jerry would hand out that long term extension ASAP. Just think of the meltdown it would cause around here, might even see a few cliff jumpers.

Craig
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Wait.

So when JJT tweeted the records through the "X" number of games about a week ago he wasn't just doing it to put the numbers out there so we could interpret them however we like but instead foreshadowing an article to soon follow?

Color me shocked.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    It is a different era than when Landry was the HC. Furthermore, Garrett appears to be regressing as HC and not learning from his mistakes.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Can't wait to hear this one. I believe you, but I almost don't. That sounds really out of character for JG.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,897 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    where are all the cries about

"the media hates us"

"JJT is an idiot"?

:laugh2:
  20. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,650 Likes Received
    Tom Landry started a team from scratch. Nothing, Nada...Scratch.

Not only that.

He is credited for creating the flex defense and pre-shifting on offense.

So please...nobody try to compare what Landry went through and created to what Garrett is going through because frankly it is an insult to what Tom Landry has done for the Cowboys and NFL in both offense and defense.

Sorry guys...I know people want to bring those numbers up but again I think it is insulting to Coach Landry.