1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Let's Stick to Football on Jay Ratliff

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BlueStar22, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,369 Messages
    305 Likes Received
  2. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,849 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Strictly sticking to football, Ratliff should be cut based on his recent production vs. salary and probable future return on investment. In plain English, in the unlikely event that he is not injured (<50% probability), he will likely (>50% probability) play like garbage. So, no one should pay him $7M to likely sit the bench.

Time to move on. Chances are that the Cowboys can pick up a free agent or draft pick who will be better than Ratliff.
  3. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,066 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Chances are my lottery ticket is going to be 1 2 3 4 5 6 and I win that too.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
  5. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Ratliff was not a good fit for what you need in a 3-4. Lets see what he can do in a 4-3.

His bigger mistake is probably not having flattering things to say about the owner.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    Yeah, people can't comprehend that it isn't about his latest transgression but a buildup of negative issues.

This is simply the last straw.

Or it should be anyway.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,181 Messages
    4,616 Likes Received
    He'll get a chance to compete in camp. You don't save anything cutting him from what I remember. If he can't play for whatever reason and you have an adequate replacement then you can let him go.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

Hey that's the combination to my luggage....
  9. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,038 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    My response has nothing to do with him drinking and driving. However, I think it points to how bad the state of the franchise really is....when we have what I keep hearing is "guys we cannot live without" I will keep saying it again and again...the core of this roster has NEVER won anything. They have ONE playoff win. So how are ANY of them untouchable at this point?
  10. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    The paycheck that is fully guaranteed for next season?
  11. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As my late grandmother used to say at church, "preach son, sho'nuff!"
  12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Exactly. I think Jerry does things right and also has major faults. This is one of his faults. He thinks guys, coaches, etc are untouchable. Like things will fall apart without someone. The team hasn't had too many like that in a long time so you have to see who is getting it done for their price and go from that.
  13. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IMO, Dan Bailey should be the only "untouchable" right now. I agree with this post, sir.
  14. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure teams are allowed to cut players for any reason. There is language in the CBA about fining, suspending and benching players that is not allowed.
  15. LowTech

LowTech the most important member

1,800 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Six million cap hit to cut I think
  16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,849 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Not too bad. If his salary for next year is $7M, then it is a net plus of $1M to cut him. After June 1st, the Cowboys can cut him and spread his cap hit over two years.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Frankly I want him gone. I do not think his production warrants keeping him around anymore after the crap he has pulled.
  18. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,042 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    jjt is way off on this.

first of all, behavior off the field is absolutely a fair criterion for continued employment on it. as jjt admits, that is the case in every other walk of life.

secondly, drunk driving is in no way comparable to dez bryant throwing a baseball cap at his mother. rather, it is like walking into a crowded supermarket and waving a loaded gun around. just because you're lucky enough that it doesn't go off and shoot someone doesn't mean you're less of an ***hole.

i know the league has programs and graduated punishments for substance abuse, and that's fine. but drunk driving is more than just alcohol abuse, it's putting lives at risk. players who get convicted of it need to be suspended from the league for a full year.