1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Tony Romo continues his evolution

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,052 Likes Received
    As the QB's patience grows, a mistake-free approach flourishes. But will it last?
    Updated: September 25, 2013, 11:34 PM ET
    By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Maybe, after all these years, Tony Romo has finally repressed his inner gunslinger.

Perhaps, he finally understands it's the bad plays he doesn't make -- not the brilliant ones he does -- that represent the difference between winning and losing most weeks.

After all, the Dallas Cowboys are 27-10 in Romo's career when he doesn't throw an interception.

Then again, perhaps Bill Callahan's West Coast offense influence on the passing game and Jason Garrett's constant nagging about turnovers has prompted a change in Romo's approach.

Romo is being more careful with the ball and his decision-making. He's sacrificing yards for completion percentage, which is OK because the short completions are putting the offense in more manageable third-down situations.

"At the end of the day, forcing it one on two is forcing it," Romo said. "I'd rather take the guy who has five yards of space. I just think it's nothing more than what the defense is giving us."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...-maturing-finally-stick?ex_cid=espnapi_public
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    The luxury Tony has this year, that he didn't in the past, is that he has a line, a defense, and WRs he can trust (for the most part) so that he doesn't feel like he has to do it all himself.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    Ah, the evolution that comes with more time in the pocket. Tony's really learning as he grows into this thing.
    JPostSam likes this.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,084 Messages
    4,560 Likes Received
    Hope they don't completely de-Romo-nize him.
  5. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Romo still needs to get rid of the ball quicker.
  6. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    This is the first I've heard of this particular criticism.
  7. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,280 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received

Just curious...

In how many of the losses did he throw an interception trying to make a comeback?
    In how many of the eventual losses did his INT(s) turn the game into a loss?

At face value, according to that stat his average record for a season would be: 11-5-ish per season QB
  8. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Glad to be of help, anything else just ask.:p
  9. Idgit

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    It's just that he's got highly-developed skills for unloading the ball quickly over the last three seasons. :)

He has taken a couple coverage sacks here, early, where he might have thrown it away. I honestly think he's still getting the hang of the extra time in the pocket, and it's messed with his internal clock a little bit. Not that I'm complaining. I'll take the extra time, and I'll gladly take a sack when an interception was the alternative.
  10. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,834 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I thought I read the other day that only 2 QB's in the NFL are getting the ball out quicker than Romo this year.
  11. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Don't wait so long to pass, if not open throw out of bounds. Don't want interceptions or sacks, or injury. All good.:p
  12. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,067 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I kinda miss the gunslinger.

Oh well. If it leads to greater success, I'll take it.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    o_O
  14. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Romo do good in San Diego:D:D:D:D:D:D