1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

John Garrett going to the bucs***merged***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cboyd, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,642 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Bingo!!! And a lot of immature so called Cowboy fans get a kick out of doing so. I really don't understand it and don't care to actually. I just smh when reading all the bashing and hate on this board toward JJ, JG, the staff, and the team. Its crazy!!!
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I understand.

John Phillips was on his way until that second acl surgery slowed him down.

Tony sporano was beloved here....(particularly by me) but he only developed witten, and really was only his coach for a couple years, pasqualoni before that and Freddie kitchens after sporano.

Sean Ryan was a 4 th round pick and he washed out immediately. Sporano couldn't "develop" him. Brett pierce, Dan Campbell played well under sporano/pasqualoni though.

In 2007 witten,fasano and tony Curtis all played well under Garrett.

Bennett is a mental case with bad hands. Hardly a reason to crucify John Garrett.

I am just confused as to where the angst comes from.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    So what players flourished elsewhere?

If you say Bennett, I'm just going to laugh...
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    I don't think it's that deep. It's all about his last name for some. Others may have diff reasons, but I think that's a big part of it.
  5. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,873 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I have no hate for the owner, staff and team. But coaching has been a major issue and I am glad there are changes.
  6. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,873 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    People want him gone because he is associated with the head coach. Its that simple. Nobody (at least very few) have an opinion on John Garrett. People just perceive it as an indicator that Jason is getting slapped around by Jerruh, which validates what they have been saying. Therefore it is validating the arguments they have been making in this forum.
  7. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    I never touted Sparano as a great coach either.

Anthony Fasano, Martellus Bennett, John Phillips, and James Hanna were/have been all under developed here.

You can make the excuse of Jason Witten, but there are many teams who develop multiple tight ends.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Yea I agree with that.

It's really about our team just losing. We are all mad about it.

I just am shocked when a tight end coach is causing such an uproar! Even for Dallas this is a new one.

After 04, parcells decided to go in a different direction and he fired Maurice carthon, if I remember correctly he made sure to help him get a new job. It was just a change to try and get better. Pretty harmless.

I remember no one really getting upset except newy and Galloway on espn 103.3

Which really says a lot.

Not much different here.
  9. Galian Beast

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    That's bull. I wanted JoeD gone? Is he related to Garrett? I wanted Skip Peete gone, is he related to Garrett? I wanted Campo gone, was he related to Garrett? I wanted Wade Phillips gone, was he related to Garrett?

I want bad coaches gone, and i want bad players gone. Has nothing to do with their last name or their family.
  10. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,233 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    This is a good and valid post.
  11. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,433 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    near 5,000 yds passing. 50 yds shy of 3 1,000 yard recievers? The passing game was pretty solid. It was our run game that was lousy.

In regards to the vitriol against John Garrett, it's the perceived nepotism that rubs people the wrong way. The truth is nepotism probably played a part in JohnG getting the postion. Doesn't mean he's a horrible coach.

Moving on to a different team where he's not in Jason's shadow is probably the only way he'd be able to advance his career without a stain on it. The fact that the Bucs signed him proves that this hire was not 100% nepotism. Having him move on gets the ugly nepotism story over and done with with. Works for everyone involved.
  12. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,642 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I'm glad changes have been made too. I'm real excited about Kiffin taking over the defense.
  13. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Part of the whole Rueage theme that seems to go on around here. Amendola's been good, but he was only here for a year. Fasano's been decent. Chandler's been good, but again, only here for a year. Can't think of any QB's, RB's or OL in the last 5-6 years that have gone on to "flourish" with another team. Bennett started off strong, but regressed as the year went on.

Robinson didn't do much before he came here, then played great with us. Not so much with Jax, but then he didn't have a QB there.
  14. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,045 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    I can't imagine anyone really having any personal angst toward John Garrett, but the fact is that changes need to be made in regard to the offense. It's clear that the Head Coach isn't going anywhere and the QB isn't either. So you have to start going down the list and figuring out where you can improve.

People want to blame the talent, but we've got 6 new starters on offense since the Garrett's came into power. Who's to blame there? Eventually you have to say..OK, we've brought in some new guys, maybe it's time to look at the coaches. With Garrett, his development of the TE's has been nothing to write home about and at least results-wise, his work as Passing Game Coordinator leaves a lot to be desired.
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Yes, but the antagonists will say that the only time we passed well, was when the game plan broke down and Romo had to do it all on his own.
  16. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,045 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    And there's a lot of truth in that.
  17. Galian Beast

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    And how accurate is that?

2,075 first half yards vs 2,746 second half yards
    8 first half touchdowns vs 20 first half touchdowns
  18. Erik_H

2,433 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Neither Anthony Fasano nor Martellus will be going to Pro Bowls. John Phillips has been pretty good for a 6th round pick. To say a rookie 6th round pick (Hanna) has been under developed is just silly. He came on nicely at the end of the year.

Flipping out over the progress of our 2nd TE is a joke. Not too any teams outside of NE do much more than we do with our 2nd TE.

The really funny thing is that I'm glad John Garrett is moving on. But the reasons described in this thread are just so knee jerk and shallow that I had to play devil's advocate. I didn't like the innuendo of nepotism regardless of whether Garrett was good or not. Its a drama that the Cowboys don't need. Just another dumb storyline that the media can use to generate more website clicks. Something as low on the totem pole as TE coach being used to stir controversy is just aggravating to me, so I'm glad it's over.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,160 Likes Received
    Joe Garrett.
  20. Erik_H

2,433 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    True, but the antagonists would be wrong. :)

To add to the whole gnashing of teeth over the 2nd TE situation is the real problem and reason we wanted to see some amazing 2 TE set offense.

The fact that we wasted a 2nd on Fasano when we had Witten in Place, then turned around a dumped him, them WASTED another 2nd rounder on Martellus is the real mistake in this whole mess. 2nd rounders are premium picks as shown by our recent success with Lee and Carter. I hope a scout or 2 were shown the door for pushing that idea.