1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

John Garrett going to the bucs***merged***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cboyd, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    Did you know Fasano has the same amount of touchdowns as Witten since he was traded to the Dolphins?

We spent a 2nd round draft pick on Martellus Bennett. Its the coaches job to turn that player into a very productive player.

And a 6th round draft pick might seem low to you, but how many tight ends do you think are drafted every year?

Tight end is only one position, but the constant is the same, we haven't been able to develop anyone since Jason Witten, and that begs getting new coaching.

I'd also say to get rid of wade wilson... also unrelated to garrett.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    That would be an AWESOME hire.. :cool:
  3. Galian Beast

9,243 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    That's partially true as well. That being said I don't blame the scouts as much as the coaches. I blame Parcells for pushing the two tight end system, and I blame the tight end coaches for not being able to develop them. I blame the offensive coordination for not being able to utilize two tight ends successfully.

We need wholesale change in Dallas.
  4. rat2k8

rat2k8 Well-Known Member

811 Messages
    260 Likes Received

Is his brother on the flight with him.:)
  5. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    So you think keeping Fasano as a 2ND TE and 'developing him' was the TE coaches fault? Thats what I take away by your mention of Fasano's success in Miami.

In Miami, he's the Starting TE. How do you compare that? No TE will be anything more than an occasional factor in Dallas while Witten is doing what he does. Especially with WRs like Dez in the mix as well.

The mistake was in using 2 2nd round picks on a TE over the years, not in coaching.
  6. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

659 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Are you kidding? Nepotism has everything to do with hirings in the NFL, it's not coincidence that there are several identical last names throughout the coaching ranks in the NFL.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,052 Messages
    2,290 Likes Received
    When they start winning it will all stop.
  8. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    120 Likes Received

I hope Tim Brewster is a name that pops up
  9. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

659 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Agreed, I can tell when bad decisions are made even though I know there is no way that I could have done better, but I also don't get paid to win NFL football games. When it comes down to it, that there is the biggest problem I see with JJ, he doesn't have to win to keep his job. He has the security of the DC's making his fortune grow, win, lose or draw.

Interesting fact JJ is worth 2.7 billion, Cowboys are worth 2.1 billion. Without this team he's still a millionaire but wouldn't be living quite so high on the hog. You would think he would feel some type of responsibility to the people who have made him his fortune since he didn't pay anywhere near 2.1 for this team.
  10. Galian Beast

9,243 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    believe it or not, scouts don't draft players, the coach and gm do. Parcells wanted a two tight end system, but we never developed the second tight end, and kept sinking more and more resources into it, despite not developing anyone.

Look at New England as a great example of two starting tight ends... it's a copout.
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Be accurate.

We were looking for the second tight end to be a move or f tight end, parcells didn't want to use a fullback. That is why we were searching for that second tight end.

Brett pierce looked good when he played before his injury, fasano was playing well in the role.

Garrett wants a fullback and a 2nd tight end on the line.

Just saying two tight ends like New England means nothing.

We changed offenses and asked the players to play a different role in the scheme.

Parcells drafted tight ends, Garrett has chased fullbacks.
  12. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Dallas 3 TEs 126 receptions

New England 4 TEs 115 receptions
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

I know Tim struggled mightily at Minnesota but it's hard to win there: does he have any inroads with the staff or mgmt. here? Curious about his background....
  14. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,689 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Was just about to post this. They were trying to establish a two TE set and used two 2nd round picks on a TE in an attempt to be able to run that set a lot. Neither pick was sufficiently developed in Dallas yet both went on to have success for their next team. Without knowing any specifics, if you lay that scenario in front of me regardless of position, my first thought would be that the position coach isn't getting it done. I could be wrong and maybe both Fasano and Bennett grew up a bit after being let go by the team that drafted them but it's just a reasonable to believe they may be getting better coaching. Something isn't right when you consider that both were not considered good enough to keep as a 2nd TE yet some other team felt they were good enough to be starters and so far it appears the other teams were right.
  15. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    120 Likes Received
  16. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....he looks solid. Maybe he has a connection with our staff: if not, I wouldn't look for him. Lord knows in the NFL, like life it's mostly who you know.
  17. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    That's not an accurate view of it though, all things are not equal.

Two different offenses and different coaches.

Fasano was drafted to be a move tight end and pay in parcells/Payton's offense.

Bennett was drafted to play in Garrett's offense and play on the line.

Two different situations, just repeating two tight end offense does not make it the same.
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received

Are folks really looking at stats to compare Bennett's role here and the one he played in NY?

He had the same mistakes in NY that he had here....what does that say about the coaching in NY?
  19. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,700 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    I noticed you didn't mention touchdowns.
  20. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received