1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: John Lynch: The beauty of Monte Kiffin's defense is in its simplicity

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,679 Messages
    6,418 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

John Lynch is a candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He credits a big part of his success to the eight years he spent in Monte Kiffin's defense in Tampa.

"Monte was one of the finest coaches in any sport, at any level I have ever been around," said Lynch, who had 541 tackles, seven forced fumbles and 23 interceptions in 11 years with the Bucs. "I think what he did was revolutionary on defense in terms of what we did. I think the beauty of it was the simplicity. We didn't try to trick people. He believed in doing a few things and doing them, and learning the intricacies so well that it was kind of a deal where, 'Hereit is. Go ahead and stop it.' You have to great players to do that. I know that. At times that seemed to denigrate the role of the coordinator, but I thought to the contrary. I thought that was brilliance of him."

Like Derrick Brooks, Lynch believes his former defensive coordinator will be highly motivated if he gets a job with the Cowboys. Kiffin burned some bridges with the way he left Tampa in 2008.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...fense-is-in-its-simplicity.html#storylink=cpy
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,096 Messages
    463 Likes Received
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    good luck with that......

Sincerely,

The Shanahans

Mike McCarthy

Kevin Gilbride..........and most every other OC in the NFC :mad:
  4. plymkr

plymkr Active Member

148 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I kind of like this, simplicity that is, our players just don't seem all that bright. to be fair it appears that way more on offense than defense with WR's running around before the snap and olinemen whiffing on blocks. But even on defense it looked like they were lost sometimes so I'm thinking positive on this. wish we had a simplistic offense so I could be sparred watching ogletree not know where to line up every play. I swear my mom knows his position better than him and my mom still has trouble with the VCR
  5. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

828 Messages
    94 Likes Received

well, I thought that was the problem with Rob's defense....the opposing team found it simple enough to score points on it. We sure didn't trick them either.

As for having to have great players to run it......strike two.

And if anyone is going to denigrate the role of the coordinator, CZ can handle that, thank you.....
  6. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Yeah yeah, everyone thought Ryan was great too. Even if this guy does have some past results I'm going to wait to see it before I believe it, thanks.
  7. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,369 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    It's hard to get excited over a new DC who is 72 and hasn't served as a DC for five years now. I'll defiinitely have to see some positive results before singing anyone's praises at this point in time. Jerry still needs to fire himself as GM and hire a legitimate one before he stirs up any real excitement in me.
  8. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,228 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    Sounds like a guy who doesn't want to adapt. Offenses have evolved too much for him. He proved it at USC.
  9. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    When the Bears were on TV the analyst would say the same stuff about their D. Very simple, the offence knows what they are gonna do. You just gotta beat them.

We will see how the offseason goes. I'm cautiously optimistic.
  10. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,972 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    Great!

A simple has been defense to go with our simple has been style offense.

Isn't that sweet!

Boy, we're really going to be that team rich with nothing but history and modern day market positioning to make that gold ole $.

Jerry, just get Lovie to be DC and Pete Carmichael to be OC if you're gonna continue this joke of you being a GM.

At least give your whipping boy a fighting chance with 2 guys that have the expertise and personality to work well with him.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He wasn't DC for USC within last 5 years?
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,502 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    Oregon and Arizona fans might claim that USC had no DC during those years :laugh2:
  13. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good read , thanks for posting WG.....its good to hear from people who know what they are talking about in regards to MK.....hope they are right....:starspin
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,855 Messages
    2,058 Likes Received
    RG3 is going to light us up.

We don't have the players to play simple football.

Our d line can't consistently win 1 on 1's.

So frustrating.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,037 Messages
    462 Likes Received
    Couldn't we have found a younger DC? 72 years old? How long will we be able to build around him?

Then again, Jerry Jones will just fire him in 2 years. No biggie.
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,233 Likes Received
    You mean USC, where his idiot son resides and all the scholarships are gone because of Pete Carroll's cheating?

Kiffin had a DOMINANT defense for 13 years at Tampa. And that was as recent as Wade's tenure here.

Dick LeBeau won a Super Bowl at the same age.
  17. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,667 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    What?

I've seen many times on here where people were claiming RR's defense was too complicated for our players, because we have dumb players, now we don't have the players to play simple football as well? :laugh2:

Give.Me.A.Break :cool: