1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Johnny Manziel - Where would he be drafted?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 4, 2013.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Assuming he had a relatively productive year next year - 3,000 passing and 1,000 rushing yards - which round would he be drafted in?

I'm tired of my friends saying he won't play quarterback in the NFL.
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Well, as electrifying as he is, he still has a long ways to go as a pocket passer. The reality is that he will not be able to run all over defenses in the NFL like he does in college. We saw it with Mike Vick when he came out of VT as a top 5 pick, and again with Vince Young out of Texas as a top 5 pick. Both guys who were dynamic scramblers in college. Once they got to the NFL, and were forced to sit in the pocket and make an NFL throw on almost every single passing down, they were not nearly as successful, and actually struggled quite a bit.

With that said, I think Manziel is actually an above average passer right now, and should only get better with another 2-3 years of college experience. As you saw tonight, he missed some wide open throws down field earlier, but got better as the game went on. I heard Gus Johnson say that his completion rate was only about 40% on throws down the field this season. So, he has a ways to go on that to become an elite QB prospect. But, again, he's only a redshirt freshman.

I think when it's all said and done, Manziel will play QB in the NFL and maybe even be an exciting player to watch. But, the real question is, do you really want a scrambling QB like as your franchise leader? It didn't work for Vick, or Young, or any other scrambler not named Fran Tarkenton from 50 years ago. I know the QB position is changing in the NFL today, but I'd rather have a pure pocket passer who can occasionally run when needed, as opposed to a guy who's better at scrambling but can make some good throws. Especially when you consider his size (he admitted he's only 6'0 and 200 lbs soaking wet), one big hit and he his career could be cut short.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    How does he compare to Russell Wilson at this point in their careers?
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I posted it in another thread but his statline as a Freshman is almost identical to RG3's Junior season, although Manziel actually outperformed RG3 in every category. He is going to be REALLY good one day.
  5. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    I didn't start following Russell Wilson until his Junior year at NC State and then obviously his Senior year at Wisconsin, so I can't comment on him as a player his first couple years. But, his last two years as a college QB, he was outstanding. If not for his small stature (5'11" 205 lbs), he would've been a 1st round pick. He has all the intangibles: High character, great work ethic, good decision making, progresses through his reads, great field awareness, etc. But, his "weakness" was also his strength. He's a great athlete, and very elusive, and his smaller stature allowed him to maneuver in and out of the pocket better than taller QB's would, and he also made a ton of plays on his feet with his scrambling ability.

It's hard to compare Wilson and Manziel now because I didn't see Wilson play his first couple years, but I do know that Wilson was much more developed as a passer than Manziel is not coming out of college, but Manziel is a more dynamic athlete than Wilson. Manziel is probably the most elusive QB I've seen since Vick. Both are about the same size, and Manziel seems to have the intangibles as well, at least this far in his short career, but Wilson was more of a pocket passer in college that could make plays with his feet when needed. Wilson also has a stronger arm than Manziel. Manziel has above average arm strength, but nothing to write home about, and is more of a scramble first, pass second player at this point in his career. He won't scare any teams with his arm, but Drew Brees didn't have a huge arm coming out of Purdue, either.

Manziel has 3 years to improve as a passer, and that's pretty scary. He could really improve in that department and be a really good prospect, but like I mentioned earlier, he has an almost identical style of play to Michael Vick coming out of college, only Vick had a cannon for an arm. Scrambling QB's just don't seem to have very good success at the next level, because you have to be able to rely on your arm on almost every play.
  6. dools

dools Member

222 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't think he is going to be able overcome his limitations in the NFL.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Manziel has a very quick release and is very accurate.

In 3 years he'll be a 1st rounder. I don't know if he'll have success in the pros or not. Depends on the system.

I don't think a coach like Garrett could maximize his potential.
  8. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Just for lolz, undrafted.:cool:
  9. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    First rounder.

Some of the throws he makes are incredible, some not so much. He definitely has potential to throw the ball though.

He looks so strange when he scrambles though. If Tebow goes first round so does Johnny football.

However if you think Romo makes some reckless throws, Johnny football does the same thing and then some.

Just watch the Bama game.

[youtube]ykxRc-kSH74[/youtube]

Some nice throws, terrible throws, and some Romolicious craziness.
  10. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,210 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    is it true that Mack brown thought both rg3 and manziel could never be a QB and he thought they could only play safety?.it could explain recent Texas QBs.
  11. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    He wont stay in college for another 3 years, he actually could come out next year.
  12. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Wherever we take him. :D

I said the first though.
  13. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,848 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Russell Wilson is from Richmond, VA, an hour from Charlottesville. Coming out of HS Wilson wanted to play at Virginia very badly, but Al Groh refused to recruit him because he was too short.
  14. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,359 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Manziel is reckless, but that's what makes him great. Some of the plays he makes defies physics. He's going #1 whenever he comes out for the draft. He does a hell of a job at finding a way to protect the ball and not turn it over. I will say unless he's lucky, this will be the best O-Line he ever plays for though.
  15. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,111 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    His deep ball might be average and he does still make some goofy decisions, I don't seen anyway this guy DOESN'T go in the first barring injury. He will have Russell Wilson to thank for that.

People forget this kid is a FRESHMAN. He has a few more years of development before reaching the pros. SCARY thought for the SEC.
  16. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,566 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Esp with the success of RGIII, and the complete lack of decent QBs in this draft, I have to think Manziel would easily go #1 overall this year.
  17. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If Tebow is a first rounder Manzial is too.
  18. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Must all your post take a shot at Garrett?
  19. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,335 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    No way Manziel could be the first pick if he were eligible this draft :laugh2: There are a lot of dumb GMs but I don't think any of them would be dumb enough to take a 6'0" 195 lb QB with only 1 year of starting experience #1 overall. That would mean he'd have to start immediately for a bad team and that would not end well at all.
  20. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,566 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    exponentially safer pick than Jamarcus Russell was.
    Manziel was also about 8x better than anyone else who played college football this year and probably for the next 2-3 years.
    Heck I was rooting like crazy for OU last night, Manziel is just ridiculous good and it ain't like Texas A&M has a great team around him, its okay but nothing special. He impresses me more with his arm than RGIII did in college and we know he's every bit as dangerous as a runner. I would hate to be sitting at #1 with a crummy draft class like 2013 is, esp if your team desperately needed a QB, and NOT take Manziel but rather someone like Geno Smith or Landry Jones.
    That'd be like taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, or Leaf over Peyton Manning. He may not have good size or experience, but you can't pass on elite talent like that, esp at the QB position.