1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones at it already

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by yohishimer, Apr 26, 2012.

1. yohishimer

yohishimer Member

43 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Team Has Made And Received Trade Calls

Posted by jellis at 4/25/2012 3:34 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com
    Cowboys owner and GM Jerry Jones is known as a wheeler-dealer in the war room, one of the NFL personnel men most open to making trades. It should come as no surprise, then, that conversations with other clubs picking in the first round have already begun.

"It would be inordinate for there not to be some talking from teams whether or not we could have an interest in (trading) up or down," Jones said. "This is business as usual. The answer is, you get those kinds of calls two or three days before the draft."

Without naming specific teams, Jones confirmed the Cowboys have received calls from clubs interested in the 14th overall pick.

"And have made them," Jones added.

In some years past it was difficult for teams in the top 10 to move out of those selections because of the risk associated with the giant contracts for the draft's top picks.

The new rookie wage scale, put in place last offseason, makes the draft's early picks more attractive.

"I think the new system causes less teams to want to get out and more teams to go up," Jones said. "And it has everything to do with it just doesn't cost as much to be up there."
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,359 Messages
    825 Likes Received
    Every single team. Well, not the Raiders. Have been getting and making calls about trades. It isn't like they just get on the clock and then try to figure deals out.
  3. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,532 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Totally agree with that. It doesn't get said enough but the new wage scale has returned a measure of sanity to this process.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    With the 14th pick, seems a little early to be having trade conversations. Way to much fluidity a head of them unless they are talking about moving way up. Right now there are 11 picks a head of them that aren't already set in stone. That's a lot of picks and a lot of talent that can move around.

At absolute best they could only be preliminary talks about interest in possibly trading if a scenario existed when it came time. You couldn't actually set terms without knowing what is on the board.
  5. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,831 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    disagree, they should have most scenarios already played out. I heard that you have 3 mins. to trade with paperwork signed once you are in the clock.
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    That's exactly what they should be doing at this point...options are nice to have
  7. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,078 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I would require two picks two additional picks to move from 14. If the chargers come calling you swap firsts pick up a 3rd and 4th minimum.
  8. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,539 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    That's a whole lot of nothing said right there.
  9. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,495 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    At the bar? Sorry I had to.
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    the OP quoted clarence Hill Jr's article from earlier today, and in it he also had this gem:

"Consider that the Cowboys will have just seven starters in 2012 from the past five drafts combined. Eight of 26 draftees from 2007-2009 are still on the team, including three of 12 from the 2009 draft"
    Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/0...coy-on-draft.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

........I was going to start a new thread with this quote but.......want to keep it somewhat positive as it's draft day: but I mean, wow have we drafted poorly the last 5 years: has ANY other team been that bad?:banghead: