1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones: Improved Running Game In Cowboys’ Future

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by morasp, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,648 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    Uhm, wut? Dez is a better blocker than our 2 new TE's, how are they going to help the running game?
  2. visionary

visionary Benched

7,264 Messages
    1,909 Likes Received
    watch garrett run the ball 45 times and pass 15 times against the rams because of coach jones

wait... i forgot.... garrett is incharge
    khiladi, dupree89 and links18 like this.
  3. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,962 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Anyone sense a compensation game coming up? Clouds of dust on first and second down followed by an incomplete pass to Witten on 3rd and 7?
    HoustonSucks and khiladi like this.
  4. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,819 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Mr. Jones. respectfully please shut up. this is not fantasy football. sticking a guard in there isn't going to make the running game that much better. unless waters can push 2 DL at the same time. not all the breaks and pressures came from Beardy's side. there is problem all across the line and its deeper than just one freaking guard.
    50cent likes this.
  5. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,816 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    To be fair, the Cowboys as a team in 2009 were eighth best in the NFL in rushing yards, and second best in the NFL in yards per attempt.
    50cent likes this.
  6. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    these are my favorite posts on this message board. Swear to God. Favorite posts. I wish I could give you 25 "likes" for this baby. A thing of beauty. A gem. One for the ages. A hall of fame post.
    And this isnt sarcasm either.

But you DO know that this stuff irks those that think JG is really calling the shots, right? You are aware of this arent you? :D
    CooterBrown likes this.
  7. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Flawed logic. The point is that Callahan will abandon the run. You don’t want that kind of coach at the helm when you are trying to improve your running game. It’s the same mentality that Garrett has. You either commit to the run or you don’t. They both would rather pass the ball instead of making the running game work.
  8. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,948 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    1 1000+yd rusher in 11 seasons. With Jerry Jones, improvements are like staring at a lump of coal and waiting for it to turn into a diamond.
  9. visionary

visionary Benched

7,264 Messages
    1,909 Likes Received

great post
    even when presented with the context some will refuse to accept the reality and just come up with a different excuse
  10. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,416 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    If you CANNOT run, might as well pass is the point.
  11. links18

8,962 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Back when Felix was the second coming of Jim Brown?
  12. links18

8,962 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    BIll C is that you?
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,915 Messages
    3,979 Likes Received
    I listened to the interview live this morning. Honestly that might have been his worse one yet. If @Risen Star heard it he might just jump. Complete buffoonery when talking about the run game and offense in general.
  14. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,336 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    No doubt, at some point this season Jerry will be on the sidelines with a ball cap.:D
  15. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    996 Likes Received

Or figure out WHY you cannot run and get it fixed. Someone miscalculated. Their belief (JJ and JG) was that the running game was going to be greatly improved coming into this season. And here we are heading to week # 3 and have no running game. There is a specific reason or reasons why the running game has continued to disappoint. I dont think just ditching the run game because they havent figured out the problem is very responsible. And certainly not a recipe for playoff success if you have to go to NY, Philly, Washington, Green Bay, Chicago in January and win a bad weather playoff game.
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,767 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    I'll believe it when I see it.

YR
    khiladi likes this.
  17. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    What did u just say, confusing? Clarify
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,933 Messages
    4,788 Likes Received
    I think the logic is sound. There are definitely situations within games where you do need to abandon the run, depending what the defense is doing to stop it, and how effective you can be passing it as a result. It's just not possible to say from the Gruden anecdote what Callahan was specifically referring to, but it's not hard to imagine situations where you wouldn't continue running the ball at a 1-yard-per-rush clip.
  19. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,289 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    Oh I get it, if you can't run the ball do the next best thing, throw 2-3 yard passes and punt on 4th down.
    tantrix1969 and HoustonSucks like this.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    A chip off the old block.