1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones quote re: Ratliff's extension

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by JerryJonesMustGo, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,851 Messages
    4,415 Likes Received
    I'll give you that contracts after 30 are inherent more risky but not so much you dump a guy. Also most of those deals are for meeting cap concerns and don't last but 2-3 years.
  2. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,999 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    yeah it was, you NEVER EVER pay someone for past production, just what they can do for you going forward. He was already decling in his play and was physically breaking down. IT WAS BRAINDEAD.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,167 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    Difference is, Allen actually is playing football, and he didn't get his current deal two years before his last one expired.

And I was referring to the many names on that list from a different era.
  4. unionjack8

1,999 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    amen !!!
    I dont care what he does with his money, but when ita ffects the ability of this franchise to get better due to cap constraints thats where we as fans have a right to be upset
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,574 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    I never said they were the same. Allen is all pro as was Ratliff when he signed that deal. Even the extension Ratliff got was below market value is the point that I am making.

You were trotting out an inflated $9M AAV. I was giving you perspective as to what that is worth for DL. You miss the forest for a few trees.
  6. unionjack8

1,999 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    add in Ken Hamlin
    WR Roy "turdman" Williams extension

7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    :D
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,574 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    You would think that we would have not been able to resign Romo and Lee or bring in Carr these last two years.

I try and talk cap specifics with people such as yourself but normally you have no interest. Let's leave it at generalities then.

What player are we not going to be able to resign because of Ratliff's acceleration?
    Are you suggesting you want us to build through FA this offseason?
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,594 Messages
    3,127 Likes Received
    I was replying to another post that mention Roy Williams the WR's bad trade/contract.

Hamlin's contract wasn't a gem either.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

909 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    So the "last 15 - 20 years" involves two different eras of the NFL? Stomp your foot once for yes, Silver, twice for no.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,891 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received

It really doesn't help Rat's case when the majority of the people you're trying to use by comparison are Hall of Famers or could be.

Rat isn't.
  12. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,813 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    So if I understand the concerns correctly, we should have never signed an injured 30+ year old player with declining production to a big contract. Quick, someone needs to get on the Denver message board to let their fans know that Elway was an idiot for signing Peyton Manning.
  13. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,307 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    Well, it's a technically true statement isn't it? Jerry HAS made worse mistakes as Cowboys owner.
  14. jobberone

38,851 Messages
    4,415 Likes Received
    That isn't relevant. They're just easier to look up.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Considering that a big majority played in a different era, it was still stupid to resign Rat.
  16. jobberone

38,851 Messages
    4,415 Likes Received
    It turned out bad but that's looking at it with hindsight. That's the whole point of this exercise. You pays your dollar and takes your chance. That resigning was driven by factors other than pure football.

If I recently bought IBM stock and now that it took a hit, did I make a bad decision or just not one that worked out well for me?
  17. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    987 Likes Received
    The bigger issue was that Jones extended him when he didn't need to - Ratliff was still under contract for two more years. Statistically, Ratliff was a declining player, and it was pretty clear that the extension was not one that was going to be fruitful. He had also been playing through a back injury, which for a NT is as bad an injury as you can have. Taking on double teams was only going to exacerbate that issue.

This is the difference between being a GM and an owner of a football team in this scenario. An owner can fall in love with a player, and want to be generous. A GM needs to look at the whole puzzle, and see a declining asset for what it is, and keep his powder dry.

In this case, the GM failed his owner. Unfortunately, in Dallas, those two are the same person.
    daschoo and T-RO like this.
  18. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,143 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning's production never decline; but Rats did. That's the big difference.
  19. jobberone

38,851 Messages
    4,415 Likes Received
    I'd have to look back but I think they needed some cap relief. I'm playing devil's advocate some because its just not 100% cut and dry. Jerry definitely has his share of wish that had worked out better. A lot of this is hold over from the past esp trying to hold down something that seems to be working so he can plug the leaks somewhere else. Jerry tries too hard for the here and now when he should probably have looked at playing for a year or two in the future and trying to develop some players. This is what happens when you're trying to dig yourself out of a hole.
  20. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    He has. My top 5 of all time bad JJ decisions wouldn't include any player deals.

1. Treating Tom Landry and Tex Schram like crap.

2 Firing Jimmy Johnson

3. Hiring Barry Switzer

4 Not making Parcells GM

5. Letting Sean Peyton get away.
    jobberone likes this.