1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Julio Jones

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by stokee, Feb 4, 2011.

1. stokee

stokee New Member

177 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What do you think about taken Julio Jones with the ninth pick in this draft. I know you would say we have Austin and Bryant, but I always believe in taken the best player. I would love to see Austin in the slot with Bryant and Jones on the outside. I would then trade Roy Williams and try to pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick. I just think this draft only has probably 5 elite players in it and Julio is one of them..MY FAB 5...

1. A.J Green
    2. Nick Fairley
    3. Patrick Peterson
    4. Von Miller
    5. Julio Jones
  2. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,282 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I'm not buying into it to be honest. We just don't need a wide receiver right now. Keep what we've got there.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,436 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  4. DezBryant88

DezBryant88 Member

49 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he's good no doubt but too many other needs to draft a position we don't need. I'd rather have us trade down. What good is having great WR's if the QB can't stay upright to get the ball to them or is constantly running for his life?
  5. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I don't agree. While Jones is quite talented, and may be taken at 9, it shouldn't be by us (assuming the rumors of trying to trade Bryant are indeed untrue). We need a true slot type, ala Wes Welker. For me, that was Ryan Broyles. Then he decided to return to school to become the all-time D-1 receiving leader. He would have been an ideal addition in the 2nd for this team. If there's a guy like that in the draft then I'd be for it. But another outside guy isn't needed.
  6. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Best player available only applies when you don't already have 2 guys who are your present and future at that position on the roster.

We have to either take the BPA at our positions of greatest need (DL, OL, CB, S) or we have to trade down.
  7. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Broyles stated he returned to OU to help his team try to win a National Championship in 2011. Should he become the NCAA's all-time leading receiver, that would be a bonus. I too, would like to see him here as a Cowboy!
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol hell no our recieving core right now is one of the best in the league we gotta other positions of need.
  9. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,815 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Not even for green
  10. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    My phrasing did misrepresent Broyles' stated motivation, for that I apologize. I didn't mean to make him seem selfish. My aim was to plant a seed of interest in the minds of those that didn't know how close he was to this mark. Then again, when he does attain it, we'll hear about it plenty.
  11. braw

braw Member

765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The term BPA( best player available) has had a transformation in the NFL to a system specific BPA. Now if we want to be more physical as a team, why go 3 or 4 WR sets. Drafting a WR when you have two 1,000 yds receivers in Witten and Austin with Bryant going to probably get close to that. Felix jones also increasing his role in the passing game leaves very little production for another WR.

Remember draft SSBPA!
  12. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a OU fan, but I'm not that high on Julio. I just don't think that he is going to be an impact player in the NFL.
  13. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Julio Jones?

No thanks.. He runs like a robot because of what Parcells did to him. We don't need retreads.

:D
  14. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,124 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    No more receivers.

Besides, you win Super Bowls with defense.
  15. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I beg to differ with you on that Jones is a very physical WR, that has an occassional drop here or there and can be very injury prone but other than that he has all the tools to be a very good NFL WR.
  16. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Jones runs like a robot because of what Parcells did to him that's a good one. :laugh2:
  17. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Julio Jones will be a productive player in the right system. He reminds me a lot of Keyshawn Johnson during his days at USC. I think projects the same as a pro.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Julio was a really good College player.

But he will be another big lumbering Roy Williams type of receiver in the NFL.

I'll pass on him. We don't need a Receiver with his skill set.
  20. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Agree, slot WR is what is needed for this team....