1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just because you win a Super Bowl

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by zack, Feb 4, 2013.

1. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,047 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Doesn't make you an "Elite" QB. Flacco played very well in the SB and in the playoffs, but I've heard it all over the radio today saying he is an Elite QB.

Anyone else annoyed by this?
  2. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,320 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    He played like an Elite QB this postseason and deserves the praise. Flacco elevating his game was a major reason Baltimore took home the Lombardi.
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,750 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    I don't think he is elite YET but earlier this year they asked him if he thought he was and he said yes, and then led his team to the superbowl. I think that is why so many people are saying it. He has a little ways to go before he can be called elite but I think he has the ability to be elite.

Once the Ravens lose some key players in the offseason, it will be interesting to see if he can lead his team deep into the playoffs/superbowl again.
  4. DIEHARD

DIEHARD Member

116 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think that goes for Trent Dilfer and a few others but Joe earned his money and elite status this year. He played lights out. Wish we Romo had a chance to do it. He just doesn't have the surrounding pieces just yet.
  5. skinsterp

skinsterp Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, because he's won 9 playoff games in 5 years. What more does one have to do to be elite?
  6. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,320 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Romo had a chance in week 17, the game was lined up for him to be the hero.. and he blew it.
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,750 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    He should have won the championship game too last year. Lee Evans dropped the perfectly thrown ball. Flacco out played Brady in that game. Flacco ha been extremely underrated.. but I think after he got the MVP superbowl trophy that is now changing. I'm happy for him.. he is a good guy.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,324 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    I don't believe I would personally put him in the "elite' category, but he played absolutely flawless this postseason. You would be kidding yourself to think these discussions weren't going to come.
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    I was of the opinion he was above average and no where close to elite.

11 TDs 0 Interceptions this post-season beating some very good teams, mainly on the road, has changed my opinion.

He deserves to be at the top of the list of QBs not named Brady, Manning (Peyton), Rodgers, and Brees.
  10. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,512 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    Things change, .. he beat Manning and Brady, both on the road.

Also, there is something to be said for not beating yourself in close games with stupid, untimely interceptions.
  11. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Not everyone can be Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    He is a good QB who plays on a quality team and until football becomes an individual sport it is the team that wins championships.

No doubt QB is the focal point he will take way too much blame and way too much credit for the overall success of the team. Flacco made some very good throws in the game and guys like Boldin made some very tough catches including a big one on 3rd down late in the 4th qrt.

Ravens defense made some good stops including a big time goal line stance. There are a lot of things that go into winning and a team must be hitting on all cylinders to win it all.

When it comes to the individual player I look at 1 simple thing and that is consistency. Elite athletes produces year in and year out despite the outcome of the team. An elite RB is a RB who produces year in and year out same with a WR year in year out they produce at a high level. It is no different with QB. Elite QB produce at a high level year in year out.

Teams however win championships not QB or any other position but the overall team. Always has always will
  13. MyBad

MyBad Member

86 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's just a label, I never put stock in "Labels" who gives a rats a$$ if our, or any QB is labeled E-light.

Flacco did what ya would want him to do, win a dam SB.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    To me elite means shining in both season and post season. Flacco has yet to do both consistently. But he does seem to be close to money in the postseason.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,115 Messages
    4,033 Likes Received
    I had the same opinion, and I still do. The guy threw a couple of passes yesterday with a rusher in his face, across his body and to the sideline that he never should have attempted. And a couple more rolling out to his right and buying time that were jump balls where trusting a big WR to come back and win the ball paid off. Bully for him for making those plays that had to be made, but those are low-percentage plays that can absolutely kill your team of your WR doesn't win them. Making three or four of them when you have to have them is admirable, but it's still low-percentage football that can get your team beat if you aren't fortunate enough to have the WRs on the other end.

I think Flacco's a good QB, and I think he took his game up another notch, maybe two, here in this playoff. He does a great job of buying time, and he takes advantage of what the big plays give him to keep coverage on his TEs soft underneath, but he's not a guy who can beat you by himself. He's not a guy who throws his guys open, and he's not in the class with Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees at the top of the NFL right now.
  16. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Flacco made some great throws and did not cost his team the game. his O-Line played like a SB O-Line should. He earned the MVP, but it was by all accounts, a team victory. That defensive stand at the end was the deciding factor, but Flacco earned himself some money last night. No labels are necessary, other than winner.
  17. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,910 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    His stats in the last 2 playoffs, which consist of 6 games I think are 15 TDs and 1 pick. And he should have had a shot at a Super Bowl last season as well if not for butterfingers in the endzone and then Cundiff shanking a gimme FG.

He just completed his 5th season and already has a Super Bowl victory along with a Super Bowl MVP and 3 total AFC championship games appearances. Playoffs in every season he has been the starter.

He may not be elite but he is getting there. The best past 5 years for any QB and that includes all the big names like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Ben R, Peyton and Eli.
  18. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,512 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    After reading this post, pretty sure that your post does qualify him as elite. That is some pretty impressive things to say about a QB.

What is elite, if not these accomplishments?
  19. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,054 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Flacco is not elite, are you kidding me?

The term elite goes to only a select few in this league.. Not 10 Quarterbacks

Elite =

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Drew Brees
    Aaron Rodgers
  20. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Yes. I knew it would happen if they won, which is why I seriously considered rooting for the 49ers.

Flacco's not elite. He's not even average.