1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Just for Fun: What QBs are Overrated????

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Q_the_man, May 29, 2005.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brett Favre's last playoff games:

2004 (4 interceptions)
    2003 (180 yards, 1 interception)
    2002 (45% completion, 2 interceptions)
    2001 (6 interceptions)

If a Cowboys quarterback had put up those kind of numbers in the playoffs for so many years, he would have been run out of town.

You people saying Brett Favre has always been wild are right but he never threw more than 2 interceptions in any playoff game during the 90's.

But again, back to my point, this is nothing about Brett Favre's legacy, it's about the current player who people still seem to have such a crush on, that they can't admit he's not the player he once was. He still shows signs of greatness but to put him up there in Peyton Manning's league is denying the obvious.

Bah... too much Brett Favre man love here. I can respect 'em but you'll never see me giving the ol' John Madden Larry Allen adulation over any Packer, Steeler, 49er, Redskin or Eagle.
  2. DLCassidy

DLCassidy Active Member

2,390 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Something tells me Bledsoe better fasten his seat belt.;)
  3. lane

lane The Chairman

10,392 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    :worthy2:
  4. wxcpo

wxcpo Active Member

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know this won't be popular, but.....

Aikman's last 3 playoff games.....

62 completions/123 attempts (50%)
    642 yards (threw for less than 200 yards in 3 of his last 4 playoff games)
    2 TDs
    7 INTs

All losses, hardly Aikman like.
  5. wxcpo

wxcpo Active Member

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh he certainly isn't the player he once was and isn't in Manning's league right now. I certainly wasn't implying he's the best right now, but rather is one of the all time greatest and definitely not an overrated QB.
  6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,054 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Favre is a crash and burn type of QB. He is either going to have a real good game or bad game. His arm allows him to take risks, but in the last few years, he has not been getting away with the same things he used to.

But he is still a great one for the ages.
  7. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying his legacy was overrated, I thought that was clear by my first post, obviously he's one of the best QBs ever, I just think he's overrated now. I thought this thread was only referring to QBs who are currently overrated, not for their careers. I don't think he's anywhere close to the QB he used to be, but judging by the amount of Brett Favre love in the media (and soem of the posts here :D ) you'd think he's still that fella who won all those MVPs in a row. I know what the Green Bay fans are going through, I didn't want to admit Aikman's days were over too and I'm still bitter about the way fans treated him like booing him out of the stadium. It's hard to believe with a team, like you folks said, is now primarily based on the run, he still throws so many picks. I understand having to come back from big margin, but a lot of those games were close ones when he made the mistakes. I just think he gets a free pass because everyone believes the stuff the media throws out about how he's a good ol' boy and one of the fellas and yadi yadi yada. You could say the same thing about a lot of players.
  8. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I would guess that's the biggest problem. He still plays the same, he just doesn't have the body of a 25 year old anymore. I would also say that Green Bay has had some questionable defenses since their Super Bowl days which probably forces him to make more bad decisions trying to get his team back in the game.
  9. CalMor

CalMor New Member

209 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McNabb has earned my respect becouse of the way he has handled the T.O. situation. He has carried that offense for the past 4 years and has been what every NFL QB should be. A Leader. That doesnt mean I have to like the Eagles though!!
  10. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You forgot about Drew Bedsore. He single-handedly made a 10-6 playoff team a 9-7 non playoff team by choking against Pittsburgh at home when they had all of their starters out of the game. He was a 1st round franchise qb who lost his job to a 6th round draft pick and followed that up by losing his job to a virtual rookie and will probably lose his job this year to UDFA Tony Romo by mid-season.
  11. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Green is what, 35 years old. It took him long enough.
  12. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,007 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Mcnabb-Pennington-Plummer <== (possibly the worst qb I have ever seen)
  13. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Great comeback. I also didn't know that you could have a good QB Rating with your feet too. Apparently this guy hasn't heard of Bobby Douglas from the Bears in the 70's or David Woodly of Dolphins or Joe Kapp, if thinks McNabb is runner only. If you put Brady in that Eagles offense, they might not even make the playoffs, as Brady gets virtually all day to throw and has receivers that steal ints away from db's and catches balls thrown too far in front,behind,too high and too low. Brady's career completion per centage is only 59%, same as Mcnabb's.
  14. Waffle

Waffle Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

3,379 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Overall, Pretty accurate B. :D

IMO, I think Trent Green has been lacking a defense more than anything else.
  15. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I do think he is "over" rated based on how very high he is rated by the tv talking heads. They go on and on and on about his greatness. I get serious deja vu re: Randall Cunningham when I hear this . Did Randall win a playoff game, if so how many, maybe 1? He really didnt even end up sniffing the Hall of Fame, but at his peak you could have sworn he was the best thing the NFL ever saw based on how the tv talking heads were going on about him at the time.
  16. BillsFan

BillsFan Bledsoe for MVP

215 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What's the difference in New England's offense before last year than the Eagles? How was it better? Brady won SB's with Antoine Smith as his RB. I'll repeat that.. ANTOINE SMITH!.. and a bunch of number 2 and number 3 receivers.

To me he's by far and away the best in the league and he has 3 rings to prove it. The comparisons to Montana (greatest ever) are right on the money.
  17. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    by division:

NFC East- Eli Manning...he looked like a pretty mediocre prospect to me every game he started last yr...yeah he was a rookie, but there was nothing I saw in his throwing ability that made me think he's the elite franchise player the media made him out to be

NFC North- Joey Harrington...time to officially label him a bust...what a horrendous passer

NFC South- Vick...one of the most overhyped people in the hsitory of sports...totally one dimensional player and a major liability at the one skill a QB is SUPPOSED to have...gets far too much credit for the teams two fluke playoff appearances

NFC West- Alex Smith...looked like a 2nd or 3rd rd type prospect on the film I saw...a player I think is going to be a mammoth bust...glad the Niners picked him

AFC East- nobody...Brady and Pennington are good starters....other two teams have question marks

AFC North- Kyle Boller...another player that was drafted a round or two before he should have been...keeps getting benefit of the doubt because his team is one of the media darling franchises, but he's a terrible passer

AFC South- Leftwich...people talked about him like the 2nd coming of Marino or Moon, and he isnt...may still improve, but he doesnt have the elite passing skills people made him out to have

AFC West- Plummer...there are still idiots in the media that write stuff about Plummer "being an MVP candidate"

David
  18. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    sorry, but you if you are going to make excuses for Brady's success, you have to do the same for someone like McNabb or Vick...their teams OL's hold probably more than anyone in the league (and get away with it) plus those two players are the most protected players in football when it comes to things like roughing the passer calls

David
  19. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tell 'em about it brother.
  20. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just say no to drugs. It'll clear your head.