1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Katrina victim asks for 3 Quadrillion Dollars (seriously)

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Mavs Man, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/ap_on_re_us/katrina_flood_lawsuits

Katrina's victims ask for huge checks By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Jan 9, 10:09 AM ET

Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of roughly 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

"There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them — about 100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks — and is feeding them into a computer database.

The Corps said it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

"It's important to the person who filed it, so we're taking every single claim seriously," Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

What a world we live in today...
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,313 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    I just picture Dr. Evil holding his pinky up to his face.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  5. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,660 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I think they will get the cash roughly the same day they get the reparations check!

(Hell,Houston and other temporary home cities for Katrina refugees, may pony up a good chunk of that to get rid of 'em).
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,003 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    find the ones suing and get them a ticket to any country of their choice and let 'em go somewhere more to their liking.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received
    If the judge who has to wade through this mess does not immediately through that stupidity out then he/she ought to be impeached. That is EXACTLY the kind of garbage that is too often allowed to proceed.
    Like the idiot suing McDonalds because he is fat- like McDonalds held a gun to his head and forced him to eat there.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    While the insurance companies lie alot about the supposed effects of frivalous lawsuits -- These are definitely frivalous lawsuits.

Litigation is an American vice, unfortunately.
  9. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,313 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Trust me when I say that I am not someone who advocates government handouts!!

I live in a suburb of New Orleans. If anyone wants to know an example of how incompetent the federal government is, they need to look no further than the failure of the levees built in New Orleans.

Everyone who lives in the New Orleans area is depending on the security of those levees. If we must put our faith in the government to secure those levees, and then the levees FAIL, then something is owed to the people who were put in harm's way as a result of that government failure.

That's my 2 cents....but I'd rather be here talking football.
  10. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tell him, He can keep the trailor, hell give him another for rental income
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,037 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    Feds? How about the failure of the state of and the city of New Orleans. You have a city sitting below sea level sitting between 3 large bodies of water and everyone had known for many years that a cat. 3 Hurricane or stronger would put New Orleans under water. This came as no surprise or at least should not have. You can only control nature so much but New Orleans is and has been a disaster waiting to happen. That is like blaming the feds for an earthquake in San Fran we all know it is going to happen and when nature flexes her muscle that City becomes a disaster area
  12. iceberg

28,003 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    could be why we have a football forum. : )

what you're in essence asking for is perfection. well, that and someone to blame so you or *someone* can get a lottery ticket. there is no guarantee.

does the city of NO hold no accountability in this or is passing the buck too easy and hopefully a jackpot?
  13. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe money was allocated by the fed, to maintain and improve the levees, but it was misappropriated, Your Governor and Mayor, have done an outstanding job, prior to and after this disaster.
  14. cajuncocoa

2,313 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Thank God we do!! :bow: Gotta get my Cowboys fix!!

No, I'm not looking for either perfection or a lottery ticket! ("Government" and "perfection" shouldn't exist in the same sentence IMHO).

And believe me, I didn't mean to imply that the City or State government should be let off the hook.
  15. cajuncocoa

2,313 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Hey, this is Louisiana....we have a very colorful (and unfortunate) history of corrupt and inept politicians!! :bang2:
  16. iceberg

28,003 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    in either case the 'victim' seeks reparations. sometimes life just sucks and you suck it up and move on. the "weak" keep looking for a quick fix of which they'll abuse anyway.

the government does the best it can but it's not responsible for ensuring you have a perfect life.
  17. Doomsday101

75,037 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    Thing is we can pump all the money we want and the next big storm that comes the city of New Orleans will once again go under water. Trying to stop Mother Nature is not going to happen.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,285 Likes Received
    It ticks me off that people keep re building in flood zones and the government (US) keeps paying for it. NO is the same; no matter how high you build levee's or how well, a hurricane can still destroy them.
  19. Doomsday101

75,037 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    That is the truth. You have Lake Ponchitrain on one end, the Mississippi River on the other and the Gulf of Mexico around a city who is 6 feet under sea level