1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Keep hearing we need a Warren Sapp-type

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by blindzebra, Jan 14, 2013.

1. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,513 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    But really what we are missing is our Booger McFarland.

I have always thought Ratliff would be just like Sapp in a 4-3 and with Lissemore being a similar player we have a nice rotation there.

What we don't have is that big booty DT that will keep our LBs clean with Brent likely done playing in the NFL.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I think there is a chance Josh Brent is playing next year.

Didn't Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth do the exact same thing?
  3. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure Donte was suspended for a year. Not exactly the same things tho.

edit: yep. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4396130

and leonard 8 games

"In 1998, when St. Louis defensive end Leonard Little pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of Susan Gutweiler, he received a suspension of eight games without pay. No one asked Gutweiler's son, left motherless after Little decided to drive drunk through the streets of St. Louis, if the ruling was fair."

Brent wont be playing for a while even if he doesn't do a long sentence based on statements Goodell made in the Stallworth case

"There is no question that your actions had tragic consequences to an innocent man and his family, and that you have violated both the Substances of Abuse and Personal Conduct Policies," Goodell continued. "In that respect, you are clearly guilty of conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL.

"Your conduct endangered yourself and others, leading to the death of an innocent man. The NFL and NFL players must live with the stain that you have placed on their reputations."

Goodell said he didn't take into account the sentence in determining that Stallworth violated the league's substance abuse and personal conduct policies.
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    McFarland wasn't that big though....
  5. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,930 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    I was thinking Ratliff too. In fact he should be better in the 4-3 then in the 3-4. It always seems like they didn't know if he should be a DE or NT. I don't think we would need to use a first round pick to get a wide body at DT.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    McFarland 6-0, 300

Lissemore 6-3, 303

Ratliff (2012) 6-4, 303
  7. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    negative

our pass rush stinks

combine that with the tamp 2 defense and you have crap for results

we need better pass rushers...we also need that idiot ratliff to stay healthy for a change
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Brian Price 6-1 303
  9. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    People seem to confuse the fact that Sapp, Brooks, Lynch...were the best players on that defense with those being the most important positions.

Kiffin tailored that defense to the talent he had. He'll do the same in Dallas.
  10. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    The Commish would probably suspend Brent for a year after he is released from jail. So if he does a year in jail and misses all of next season, he would probably miss the following season as well due to suspension. I highly doubt Brent plays next year and probably not the year after that.
  11. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I wouldn't count on Price, not even for quality depth. I mean I hope he can make it back but when you consider the injury he had it's not something I'd bet on:

12. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Was he any good pre injury?
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Ratliff hasn't been a good player in 3 years. But he's Warren Sapp in 2013.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    He was a second rounder in Tampa 2010. Played and produced after the surgery. Dont know what they really have, probably neither do the Cowboys.
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,193 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    He will take less of a pounding in the 43 than he did as a 34 NT.

Yes he still played 1-gap at the NT position, but the way offensive lines attacked him will be different from what they do against him in the 43 as a 3tech.

Will it make much of a difference in his performance? I don't know. Could he still be over the hill? Yes. Will he be? I don't know. Could he be rejuvenated playing in a scheme that better suits him? Yes, but we don't know that for sure.

All in all, I'm hoping but not expecting him to play at a pro bowl level again.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Agreed..

This team is flooded with holes

It's depressing to sit down and try and come up with a way to solve all these holes.
  17. TheFinisher

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    There is no quick fix, we just need to continue to build through the draft. The problem was we did not draft well from 2006-2009, hence the holes throughout our roster and the age gap between our veteran core(witten, ware, etc) and the young core (lee, dez, tyron, mo, etc).
  18. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Could someone explain just what a "Warren Sapp" type player is exactly? If that means we need a really good DT, then yeah we need a Warren Sapp type.
  19. TheFinisher

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Disruptive 3-technique. Ratliff could be that guy but age, injuries and decline in play makes it questionable if he can.
  20. cowboyz

cowboyz Well-Known Member

1,736 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    also kevin williams