1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Keep hope alive .. Rookie safety Matt Johnson was at practice and working to the side

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jblaze2004, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,430 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    It's the "I really hope I'm wrong" Teflon.
  2. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Isn't it week 17?
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,720 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I think in spot duty-yes why not???

If he's healthy enough to play and the Cowboys have been this patient with the kid, than obviously they believe in him and believe he can contribute.
  4. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  5. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    I don't want an untested rookie playing as the last line of defense in a win-or-go-home game. At this point they should just consider this to be a redshirt year for Johnson and see what they have with him next year.

Personally, I think the Cowboys ought to downgrade any player on their draft board by at least a round if they come from a school where they graduate late. It seems like the first year is usually a wash for these players as they miss too much of the offseason to be able to contribute their first year.
  6. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Or the front office doesn't want to look stupid for wasting a draft pick on someone they could have had as an UDFA. This is the same FO that disregarded the coach and kept a second kicker last year. They lost all credibility a decade ago.
  7. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Apparently We're only supposed to deal with "what could happen" instead of what is happening...just like coach Garrett. Well, he *could win a super bowl, so he is a good coach. optimists live in la-la land.
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,763 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    You guys are right, we should just release him now.
  9. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Very good parallel. There is no evidence that this player who has had only limited experience playing at the Pro level will have any palpable effect at all. Frankly, how a college player who was not even the top prospect at a prominent school is somehow going to fill in adequately for injured Barry Church is beyond me. Johnson isn't fast, does not hit hard, but he had good spatial awareness, and amassed interceptions.
    So, similar to JG, he benefited from being in the right place in the right time. But how that translates into messianic production is improbable and silly.
  10. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great post. *like
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Sean Lee and Bruce Carter both essentially had redshirt rookie seasons as well.
    They turned out to have a little bit of talent....
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,256 Messages
    3,060 Likes Received
    I like that description.

I Agree.

13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,088 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    I'm with you and look forward to seeing him at training camp next year.
  14. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Its just the same people who cry and complain about everyone.

Same people who said Lee and Carter were wasted draft picks.
  15. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,954 Messages
    701 Likes Received

It's not just Johnson, it's hate toward the entire team.....I don't get it either.
  16. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Good times....
  17. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    come on, he's a waste. no player has EVER dealt with injuries throughout their rookie season and come back to be good. definitely not any Cowboys players......

:rolleyes:
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,088 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Some said the same with Murray. I don't know if Johnson will pan out or not there is no way of knowing but to see him come under attack as if these people had a clue about what he can or can't do is a joke. It is almost embarrassing
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,101 Messages
    4,023 Likes Received
    Paraphrasing, of course, Garrett's commented in a couple of pressers about the guy having really good practices. And then he mentioned again when they put him on IR that the guy had practiced well in limited time on the field and they really wanted to see more of him but his health just didn't allow it.

I also just go back to how obviously happy they were on draft day when they got him. You could just tell he was a player that they thought was a good value there in the 4th.

And, I'll admit: Johnson and Coale were my two favorites of the picks last year. Neither have panned out so far, and for the same reason. I liked the work in college from both players, though, and think both have a shot to be at least contributors in the pros, eventually.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,166 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    Same..

Plus there is some kind of rookie curse that says if you're drafted by Dallas you will get injured as a rookie.