1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

kennedy backs barak obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by iceberg, Jan 28, 2008.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,180 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    while it took 15 minutes to introduce ted kennedy and it sounded more like HE was running vs. simply supporting someone, it's done. a powerful democrat name of the past shuns clinton and goes with obama.

now on the flip side, help or hurt? i'd think it would help but my own views have never been too positive on old ted.

queue in JT to say how bad ted is and how this won't hurt or whatever else it takes to get him through the dream.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,337 Likes Received
    I expect Obama to get Mass anyways but other than Mass few care what Teddy thinks. So I don't see this as a big help
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,630 Messages
    3,999 Likes Received
    Well initially I would say not a big deal...but some did not think Oprah supporting Obama was a big deal either.

Who knows.

Personally the only one I think Teddy truly supports is himself...oh and whatever his favor liquor happens to be at the time.
  4. Doomsday101

76,269 Messages
    2,337 Likes Received
    Oprah is actually liked by many people so it did not surprise me that it helped Obama; Ted only has his hardcore liberal groupies. If anything it may give people the ideal that Obama is more liberal than they think if Teddy is willing to back him
  5. iceberg

28,180 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    he is backing obama or shunning clinton? *no i do not know here* but i'm just trying to get some unbiased background on it. when you say kennedy to me i get a cold shiver of a feeling but that's based off some really old history - maybe i need to put that away and try to understand more.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Be afraid Barak...be very afraid...:p:

[IMG]
  7. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Thats my question. I also wonder if Obam's wins are more of the Dems coming out to vote AGAINTS Clinton. I make no secrete that I am a Republican. But this Democratic race intrigues me. I really believe Clinton has no shot
  8. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You mean stuff like this? :p:

[IMG]
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,630 Messages
    3,999 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2:

I have been told by secret insiders that the reason Teddy did not drown in that incident is that it was a body of water instead of alcohol.
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    He's the mole.
    Talk about Dividers, who outside of Mass has any respect for Ted Kennedy?

I'm not too sure this helps Obama.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    I do know Hillary pressed him for backing and he went to Obama instead.

Not sure how much it matters with Super Tuesday promising to hand Clinton the insurmountable lead.

I expect Hillary to win Massachusetts handily. She is winning those core groups handily in each state: Core Democrats, older voters and women.

Obama will really suffer without independent votes on Feb 5th.

It is interesting to me after seeing the tea leaves Obama is still gathering a wide array of support. I'd guess that is because Hillary was so moderate in Congress.
  13. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Like I said I think the reason Obama is gain so much support is people who do not normally vote are coming out just to place a vote againts Hillary.

And Moderate and Clinton together......Well, I believe that is what is called an Oxy-Moron.......lol
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    One way I could see it helping Obama would be that Kennedy has been a close personal and professional friend to the Clinton's...but now he's backing Obama?

As in if he's close to her and even he won't back her...well then there must be something really wrong with her.

Just my opinion.
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    The one thing this does, is open the way for other mainstream Dems to come out for Obama (and thus against Hilary). They aren't then saddled with quite the same spotlight. I think this move is mostly of import to the Democrat bureaucracy. More impressive was Caroline Kennedy's article and support.

Personally, I would be happy if Teddy was just flushed away. But that goes for a lot of the folks on the Hill as well.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Agreed.

When she wrote "A President Like My Father" it carried much more weight than Ted's endorsement...no pun intended. :D
  17. iceberg

28,180 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    HALPERIN’S TAKE: Six Reasons Why the Kennedy Endorsement is a Big DealWhile endorsements don’t usually matter much, Edward Kennedy’s does because:

1. He has a huge following with Hispanics, a big deal in California and other Super Tuesday states, and one of Obama’s weaknesses.

2. The symbolic Kennedy family thing — the ultimate message of change, viability, Democratic legitimacy, and youthful excitement.

3. The national press will be obsessed with the story for days and days to come, with no downside for Obama; the local press coverage when Kennedy travels for Obama will be ginormous.

4. It sends a message to other senators and superdelegates that it is OK to be for Obama — they don’t have to be afraid of the Clintons.

5. He has a huge following among working-class, traditional Democrats, one of Obama’s weaknesses.

6. He has a huge following among union households, another of Obama’s weaknesses.
  18. Doomsday101

76,269 Messages
    2,337 Likes Received
    I think it may help but remember Teddy could not win when he ran for the Presidency
  19. iceberg

28,180 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    i'm just posting news. i still don't see any one candidate standing out over the others. too much mud to sort through till they finalize their candidates then we'll see what happens.
  20. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I don't see this as being that great outside of the primaries. Some of the points Ice posted were ones I wasn't aware of (support among hispanics, etc), but I think this mostly works as an internal Dem issue. I know I certainly don't care much about what Teddy thinks.