1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kick Returner Chris Rainey florida vs Ryan Broyles

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Macnalty, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Chris Rainey WR/RB/ST Florida vs Ryan Broyles WR OK

Are they both competing for the same draft slot and position on the Cowboys draft day? I have heard Rainey has some personal baggage is it enough to take him off our charts, he seems like a real natural player and possibly a game changer that you have to account for on every play. If he is not the guy who is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZtpSjDQLPk

Most mocks have us taking a leap on the injured Ryan Broyles who will be back to full health in mid season. He seems like a good player also but different than Rainey.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUVI6nZvak
  2. VICTOR710

VICTOR710 Member

97 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rainy is on my mock draft .
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,878 Messages
    2,718 Likes Received
    Ryan Broyles OU, before the injury he had been one of the main go to guys. I would not mind getting him mid to late rd of the draft
  4. Macnalty

1,014 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    what rd do you have him in your mock? Here was my first four picks before the comp pick at four.
    Cox
    R Lewis
    J Flemming
    I had Broyles here in my first mock but after seeing the Rainey kid it made me consider what all the packages are that he brings to the table.
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Broyles and the new IR rule only fuels my feelings. Throw him on IR to week 6 and you still get over half a season under his belt unlike the old rule where it's basically a redshirt year.
  6. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is he going to be ready by week 6 though? I liked him before he got injured, and I can see the value in drafting him, but I'd like to get a WR who's healthy and can contribute day 1.
  7. VICTOR710

VICTOR710 Member

97 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    4 round 2nd selection
  8. Macnalty

1,014 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I think we lose a year if we get Broyles, just looking at what happened to the last three years with our injuries, those rooks were lost without the preseason. I really like him with my fourth and think he brings value at that pick but cannot confuse him as a contributor this year.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I don't see why he wouldn't. Week 6 will be almost a full year since he tore his ACL. Players are usually cleared to begin football activities 6 months after the surgery. He's already running on the knee and intends to have some sort of pro-day workout for scouts in April.

If you're drafting a WR, you take the guy who you believe will have the best overall career, not the best rookie season. I really don't see a rookie WR taken in the 3rd or 4th round stepping in right away as out #3 WR. Out of about 10-15 WRs taken in rounds 3-5 last year, only one made any sort of significant impact for their teams as a rookies. The #3 WR should be filled with guys already on the roster or outside through a cheap free agent.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,653 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    If Broyles is healthy I think he would do really well in our offense.

Rainey just has incredible speed and agility. I'd love to have that kind of guy on our team returning kicks.

If there is a spot for a guy like Buehler than surely we can find a spot for Rainey.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,438 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    Chris Rainey IMO but good question.

He displayed excellent hands and gives us a slot/nickel back tweener. Not unlike Percy Harvin. Speed back with great hands.

Broyles is smallish for an outside WR and coming off a very serious injury.

Elite returners are hard to come by but it seems having that RB type build and vision is a major plus in that area.

The issue with a guy not being active until week 6 is like Bruce Carter he becomes a de facto redshirt. So you gotta grade him down at least one round. Not only are you waiting on him a year but you are burning one year of his controlled cap hit.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You could go out and get Roscoe Parrish tommorrow for vet minimum and he'll basically give you what Chris Rainey does.
  13. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,396 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    I think Broyles will be used as a slot receiver in the NFL and will be much better than Robinson was for us last year. He has great hands and moves the chains and scores. The only thing he doesn't have is elite size or elite speed, but neither are required of a slot receiver. He gets open .... wide open .... A LOT.
  14. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,364 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Oklahoma has had quite a few prolific recievers lately but that hasn't translated into being an legit NFL wr.
  15. Macnalty

1,014 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Just found out Rainey has some clouds over his head and was in trouble with the police for some stalking issues with old girlfriend, that is why he is available in the 3rd and 4th rd.
  16. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Rainey is a better returner, but Broyles is the better offensive player.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The thing that stands out to me about Broyles is he instinctively knows how to find the soft spots in a defense. No matter what kind of coverage you throw at him he'll find the weakness in it. When you combine a WR like that with a QB who is mentally on the same page, it's almost impossible to defend against (Brady/Welker). Maybe that's something that can be taught over time, but it sure does make thiings a lot easier if it just comes naturally.
  18. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,396 Messages
    153 Likes Received

Yes. Like I said before ... he gets wide open, a lot.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,800 Messages
    760 Likes Received
    I remember reading that a defender in this draft, I think it was Markelle Martin, said that Broyles was one of the best opponents he faced--for precisely that reason, he instinctively knows where the soft spots in the defense are.

Witten's got that skill as well.
  20. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,242 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Joe Adams?