1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kicking the Field Goal on 4th and Short

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Danny White, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wanted them to go for it at the time, but in retrospect, did kicking that field goal (and playing "not to lose") end up saving the game?

You can look at this as a genius, prescient call by Parcells, or a gutless call that nearly cost us the game.

What say you all?
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When was the last time a QB sneak on 4th and 6 inches not work?
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,825 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    The way the middle of our line was getting blown off the ball, I wouldn't take a QB sneak gaining those needed 6 inches for granted....I think we did the right thing in taking the points and making sure we couldn't be beat by the TD.
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought we should have snuck it on 3rd.

But those plays do get stopped, and if we didn't take the points and got stopped, or turned it over, we'd have lost.

I hated it at the time, but you can't argue with results.
  5. ghosttown cowboy

ghosttown cowboy Wyoming's #1 boys fan

868 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If we can't get 6 inches with a 6'5" QB and our RBs we don't deserve to win!
  6. cowboygolfer

cowboygolfer New Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I certainly think now it was the right call, But I wanted to go for it bad. making 4th and inches at about the 10 or whatever it was is a game changing play if you make it your team gets alot of confidence and knocks teh wind out of the D.

Good call in retrospect, at the time I thought Gutless, we set the tempo against Philthy by doing just that, I think it could ahve been the difference today between domination and a dog fight. (or not)
  7. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,925 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    The QB Sneaks usually work better when the Defense doesn't have time to put their prefrerred Defense in there. If they could have ran a quick play the probably would have gone for it, but the measurement let the Giants D, call a play. They would have been ready for the QB sneak.
  8. AceofSpades

AceofSpades Member

262 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought we got two bad spots by the officials.
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,577 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Thought it was a good call. Go for the points.
  10. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,187 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    My biggest issue is the way we did it.

Either have the sack to snap the ball, or just line up and kick the FG, but don't try to draw them offsides and then call the TO.
  11. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    That bothered me as well. Timeouts are too valuable in a 4 point game to waste trying to get them to jump offsides.

I still think they should of went for it, if they can not get inches with a 240 pound QB they deserve to lose.
  12. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,239 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Well at the time IMO it was a bad call.....4rth and Inches isnt that hard to convert. If anything a TD would of put this game away.

However now that I look back at it, it was the safe call to make.
  13. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received

agree......I hated wasting the timeout.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,241 Messages
    2,807 Likes Received
    Just to be in such position makes me shake my head.
  15. Gordon

Gordon New Member

760 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was shocked when we didn't go for it. Very un-Parcells like. I'm never pleased with Parcells. usually some of times he goes for it make no sense and drive me nuts, this time I wanted him to go for it and he didn't.

It was a matter of inches, we have a 6'4 QB, seemed like a pretty easy pick up to me.

I also didn't like not having A-Train on the field on 3rd and 1 the play before. MB3 was doing better, but it's hard to stop A-Train from getting a yard, as witnessed when he was hit 3 yards back in our endzone and brought 2 guys on his back up to the 1.
  16. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,508 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    You can ask the people in chat :) I was VERY upset we didn't go for it. I felt it would come back to haunt us and it did leading to overtime.
  17. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,550 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I don't think it was the right call even in retrospect. It just turned out that we didn't lose the game. We should have put our boot on their throats right there. It was gutless.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,973 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    Welp.....Coulda, shoulda, woulda. 16-13...Big Fat W!
  19. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,550 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Are you saying that anytime the Cowboys win, the posters are not to discuss specific aspects of the game? Brilliant!

I wish I knew how to post a picture of the Guiness Stout guys.
  20. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,973 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    Yeah. Sure. Right. That's exactly what I "said". Nice interpretation Ms. Keller.
    Geez................