1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Kiffin hire panned by scouts and execs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jan 18, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
  2. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I hope they like crow.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    It came as a shock to me, too. I still think it was a really weird hire.
  4. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Oh how I wish I were a fly on the wall when that discussion was taking place.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I like the hire... He's a defensive guru.
  6. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    No question about that. I thought they were going after Crennel or Horton.
  7. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't really know if I'm fully onboard with it either. Much older than I would have preferred. Ware is going to get jacked at de and he has a shoulder undergoing an operation as well. I'm pulling for him but I'm not sure we have the dl to go 4-3 right now on a consistent basis. Will be very interesting to watch.
  8. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,544 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Yeah not who I was expecting but in a couple years we get to make "should we go back to the 3-4" threads.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,811 Messages
    7,178 Likes Received
    Very strange move. Jerry stank.

72 years old. You must switch schemes. Doesn't seem like the thing you would do if you want to really go for it next year.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,811 Messages
    7,178 Likes Received
    That's exactly what will happen.
  11. wick

wick Active Member

743 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    A Tampa Two (Dallas Deuce?) defense is much more conducive to success in today's NFL. When you play man to man defense, you don't put your defensive backs in position to create turnovers, and that's the name of the game on defense now. Defenses are not allowed to simply shut down offenses these days due to the rule changes and proliferation of spread concepts, so you have to force turnovers to be effective. Ryan's defense was among the worst in the league at doing that.

Conceptually, the move makes sense, as you bring in the architect of a defense geared to doing just that. The concern is the age factor and how much drive Kiffin has at this point in his career.
  12. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I panned it too...as have many others, but with Marinelli in in the fold I feel much better: ESPECIALLY if Rod takes over in 2 years. I would have loved the Kiffin hire 10 years ago; and will GLADLY eat crow if he succeeds. I'd like to see Henderson get re-hired as DB's coach: our CB's made strides but safeties stunk. I think it's a total lack of talent issue at safety and has been for a LONG time.....better solve it quick because safeties are KEY in the Tampa 2.
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,450 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    I'm hoping for the best, but a lot of the moves have me puzzled.

You pair an inexperienced coach learning on the job with a 'win now' built team?

You put huge resources into man cornerbacks and then decide to switch to a Tampa 2 defense?

You keep your current coach after two 8-8 seasons but then overhaul your entire defensive scheme?

Just not sure that they have a real plan.
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    man, usually you're so positive about the moves...
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,894 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    I question the validity of the report.

The NFL is filled with guys that nobody ever says a bad word about because people in the game understand that the game is tough and the rigors of trying to make it as a coach. The old joke is that if you don't thing a coach can coach, you just say that he's 'a nice guy' when asked about him.

Take that and Kiffin's defenses in the NFL, which were still really good as late as his last year in the league, which was only 4 years ago.

I wouldn't doubt it the reporter took some liberties with quotes or talked to a person who didn't like the move and then reported it as 'scouts and execs pan the hire.'

YR
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Source was NFL.com. And lots of GMs/execs/scouts will talk it they know it's off the record and they won't be identified.

That's a scalding commentary.
  17. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I like it, time to do something different
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    by anonymous people you don't even know their names of. just "people".
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,894 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    It doesn't work that way.

Believe me, I have plenty of friends that write for the NFL. That's where they told me the 'he's a nice guy' when they don't think a guy can coach. And yes, those are off the record as well.

The NFL Network is ran by a person who used to be an exec at ESPN. NFL.com falls under that umbrella.

The only time scouts and execs really bash a guy is if they don't like the guy as a person such as Petrino, Saban or Spurrier. Perhaps Monte is feeling the shrapnel of his unpopular son.

It just sounds fishy, particularly since the former players have raved about him. And again, he coached in the league 4 years ago.

Here's a look at Tampa's Defensive Efficiency rankings via Football Outsiders over the years.

Pre-Monte:
    1993 - 24th (out of 28)
    1994 - 28th
    1995 - 18th (out of 30)

With Monte:
    1996 - 16
    1997 - 9
    1998 - 7
    1999 - 2
    2000 - 5
    2001 - 2
    2002 - 1
    2003 - 3
    2004 - 8
    2005 - 8
    2006 - 21
    2007 - 4
    2008 - 6

Being in the top-10 in 11 out of 13 seasons is outrageously excellent ans FO.com has pointed out, defensive effeciency is much more 'volatile' than offensive efficiency. This was long after Sapp was a factor (he was declining fast since 2000) and Derrick Brooks was long gone.

I just kinda doubt that a lot of scouts and execs really panned it. They may have thought he was retired for good, but that was probably it.

Jason La Canfora said we weren't getting Marinellia and he works for NFL.com. So, it's not like these guys are above being sketchy with their work.

YR
  20. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    pffft.... i bet their "old guy" jokes werent nearly as good as ours.