1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Kiffin hire panned by scouts and execs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jan 18, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,945 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    If Dallas were to keep the 3-4 those two guys would have been my favorite to run the defense...
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,414 Likes Received
    When you don't like the message, attack the messenger.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    dismiss the unknown that counters thinking and welcome the same unknown that supports your views.

gotta love it. (him, not you)
  4. Risen Star

19,836 Messages
    5,414 Likes Received
    My theory won't be popular but I think this is just scenery to distract the masses from what really needs to change in Dallas. We all know what it is. These sorts of changes can appease the fan base and make it appear like he's trying. He's too invested in Garrett to give up just yet, so the scapegoat was Rob Ryan with a side of Skip Peete. Next year it'll be Garrett. There will always be somebody to blame for the problem that was here long before they arrived.

Do I think they have a long term plan in place to bring this franchise back to where it belongs? No, I do not. I think they're winging it year to year and hoping something sticks. If not, well.....too bad.
  5. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    we did a long term plan in garrett.

the IGS simply won't put up with a long term plan, per their own nature.

everything else is just crap on the wall.
  6. Risen Star

19,836 Messages
    5,414 Likes Received
    I'd like to believe that. I think Garrett has it in him to accomplish that. But I don't think he's got the power within the organization to implement any long term plan. He's basically been undressed by Jerry this offseason.

He doesn't have the job security either. He's either going to win this year or be looking for another gig.
  7. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,655 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Or maybe Ryan was more of a problem than we'll ever know. It isn't all about the X's and O's, and Ryan is full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

I was surprised by the move to the 4-3, but I'm not near ready to say Dallas did it because the Cowboys wanted to use Ryan as a scapegoat.
  8. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    When Troy Aikman was asked about the Kiffin hiring he was "really surprised" and not in a good way.

DMN said that Troy sounded "perplexed" at the move.

Tony Dungy is certainly not going to denigrate Monte, but suggesting that it would take two years to transform the roster, which is nothing short of chilling when you consider how much the front office focus needs to be on the offense. Dungy said, "the Cowboys don't have what this system takes. That's why I will be curious to see what they end up doing."

Jeric Griffin of Rant Sports suggests the Kiffin hiring will ruin the next Cowboys draft, because we suddenly have needs all over the board.

The Daily Trojan website was nothing short of amazed at the Cowboys move. A quote, "In the three years prior to Kiffin’s arrival, USC defenses surrendered an average of 278.5 total yards and 14.9 points per game. Under Kiffin’s watch from 2010-12, however, USC defenses surrendered an average of 390 total yards and 24.9 points per game."

Always thoughtful Bob Sturm questions, "It makes you wonder if Monte Kiffin is prepared to deal with the division going through the zone read in Washington. The Tampa 2 is to slow down the West Coast offense and the greatest show on turf over in St Louis. How many times did Tampa have to deal with what we are seeing in 2012?"

Michael Taglienti at GridIronGrit, wonders how Kiffin...who couldn't stop spread offenses in his stops at Tennessee and USC...can cope with them in the NFL. Kiffin's defense gave up an average of over 600 yards when facing the Duck spread. Now the Duck offensive mastermind is with the Eagles.

Both the firing of Ryan and the hiring of Kiffin: STOOOOPID
  9. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    yea, the worn out "jerry jones suck" security blanket that makes it ok to take pot shots at everyone on the staff.

gets old.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,118 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    interesting how much of that is from USC. College. Means very little.
  11. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    he is too old.

its like giving a big contract to a 47 year old QB
  12. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Like quite a few whiners. Even when positives moves are made, they will always find something to rant and rave about. Its their mission, to state the obvious problems with the team, and ingore any positive moves. A costant broken record syndrome.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,587 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I think you nailed it. It you look at the pattern of the Cowboy's roster & coaching moves over the last 17 years you will see the pattern not a very pretty picture and its not a clear pattern but it is a pattern. Its more of a tail chasing pattern and one of knee jerk reactions/reaches than anything else.

Just on the defensive side of the ball the last 10 years have brought 5 different schemes in. How in the world are the players suppose to excel when the scheme is always in flux. How is are the scouts suppose to find talent to fit a scheme when the scheme is always changing? At best, your current roster was always built for at least the previous scheme. Thats just the defensive side....
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Hate to say it, but this resonates with me and mirrors my own assessment of the situation.

I hope I'm wrong, though, and am encouraged by the fight the team exhibited this year which was significantly different from years past. A sign that we're moving in the right direction? I guess we'll find out next year.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,197 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    Why are there only 2-3 teams in the league running the Tampa 2 then? You need players with a really unique skill set to play the Tampa 2 effectively, without glaring holes. Luckily, we have a couple of LBs who may be able to fit into the role. The rest remains to be seen.
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I Posted:

When Troy Aikman was asked about the Kiffin hiring he was "really surprised" and not in a good way.

DMN said that Troy sounded "perplexed" at the move.

Tony Dungy is certainly not going to denigrate Monte, but suggesting that it would take two years to transform the roster, which is nothing short of chilling when you consider how much the front office focus needs to be on the offense. Dungy said, "the Cowboys don't have what this system takes. That's why I will be curious to see what they end up doing."

Jeric Griffin of Rant Sports suggests the Kiffin hiring will ruin the next Cowboys draft, because we suddenly have needs all over the board.

The Daily Trojan website was nothing short of amazed at the Cowboys move. A quote, "In the three years prior to Kiffin’s arrival, USC defenses surrendered an average of 278.5 total yards and 14.9 points per game. Under Kiffin’s watch from 2010-12, however, USC defenses surrendered an average of 390 total yards and 24.9 points per game."

Always thoughtful Bob Sturm questions, "It makes you wonder if Monte Kiffin is prepared to deal with the division going through the zone read in Washington. The Tampa 2 is to slow down the West Coast offense and the greatest show on turf over in St Louis. How many times did Tampa have to deal with what we are seeing in 2012?"

Michael Taglienti at GridIronGrit, wonders how Kiffin...who couldn't stop spread offenses in his stops at Tennessee and USC...can cope with them in the NFL. Kiffin's defense gave up an average of over 600 yards when facing the Duck spread. Now the Duck offensive mastermind is with the Eagles.

1. If college means very little then you could argue that Kiffin has been out of coaching for 3 years.
    2. In college Kiffin could not adapt to the new dynamics that he was facing. His defenses were not good. Kiffin will now need to adapt a ton. He'll be teaching new personnel, much of it that doesn't fit his traditional scheme and facing a league with major new trends emerging.
    3. In college Kiffin could not stop spread/option offenses.
    4. In the pros now Kiffin will be facing spread/option (Pistol) offenses
  17. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,197 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    I think some of those are moot points.

For example, no matter what system you play in, our defensive line and safeties are not adequate. So, we would have the same holes, no matter what defense we run. It also doesn't help that guys like Carter and Lee can't play a full season without getting hurt.
  18. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    If we'd stayed with RRyan we'd had to address safety and DT. That's it.

Now?
    1. Ware is going to have to adjust to having his hand on the ground and perhaps more importantly will be lined up inches away from 320 lb tackles. His forte is working in open space and using his speed...not mauling.

2. Spencer is undersized for the new position.

3. Our strength is CB and our weakness is safeties. Yet Kiffin's D needs the opposite.

4. We have nothing along the lines of a Warren Sapp.

5. We might need to consider bring in two new DTs...with bulk to compensate for the size of Ware and Spencer.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,614 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    Just like Simeon Rice who came from a...3-4 scheme before going to the Bucs.

And Ware's biggest strength is the bull rush. He uses his long arms and since he can get after the QB with the outside move, it knocks the OT off balance when he goes with the bull rush. His weakness is an inside counter. And, it's not like he always has to have his hand on the turf.

Again, same reason why Rice didn't struggle going to the 4-3 and neither did Charles Haley. Ware may not get those miscommunications amongst the opposing O-Line giving him a free run at the QB, but he's not dropping in coverage either.

Was Greg Spires undersized? Or Robert Mathis? They had no issues playing that side.

That's not true.

Kiffin's defenses had excellent corners in Rhonde Barber and Brian Kelly. It had John Lynch at strong safety, other than that it wasn't much at FS between Damien Robinson, Dexter Jackson (huge bust at Arizona) and Sabby Piscatelli. Not exactly Paul Krause back there.

Do you know how good Jason Hatcher has been the last 2 years?

We are more than set at DT. Ratliff, Lissemore and Hatcher are excellent fits at DT.

YR
  20. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I have time for a couple of quick hits.

It's one thing to have a bull rush when your first contact with the lineman is after a 3-5 step head start. It's entirely different when you have to generate that from a 1 step burst. Haley had an inside power move unlike anything I've ever seen from Ware. Rice an Mathis are interesting and more optimistic comps I concede. It seems to me at this point in his career that Ware has a difficult time disengaging. He can get swallowed up. (I'm not just talking about when he was playing hurt) That scares me a lot in the 4-3.

Ware was in coverage less than 20% of time. And I think that helps a lot, IMO. The O-line can't anticipate who to block.

Lissemore and Hatcher are ideally suited for DE in the 3-4. Lissemore is good backup. He isn't a difference maker. Ratliff is on the tail-end of his career. As it has been rightly commented...Sapp had left Tampa Bay when he was Ratliff's age.