1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kill! Kill! Kill!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by onetrickpony, Nov 15, 2012.

1. onetrickpony

onetrickpony Member

723 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    OK, I understand the concept Garrett has here on calling two plays and giving Romo a choice based on how he sees the defense line up. My problem is that I think the defenses have figured out that they can dictate to the offense with a false presnap read. This is what I see happening (or at least I think it is what is happening).

Garrett calls a pass play on second and short and the O formation shows a high probability of a pass. Maybe he wants Romo to take a peek down the field, taking advantage of the natural defensive tendancies in this situation where the D has to play pass and run. The D shows a fake blitz, causing Romo to switch to a run play. This allows the D to play run only and smother the back for little or no gain. The run play is also from a pass formation which makes it less likely to be successful. I saw this multiple times in the last several games.

There are also other bad things that occur when the play changes. The O line has to hold their stances longer, making a false start more likely. If the play was late coming in (which is natural because you are calling two plays instead of one) it can end in a delay call.

I think this tendancy was masked somewhat when Murray was in the line up. His skills could overcome the problems brought on by running from a pass formation while Felix and Dunbar just don't have that skill set.

I see similar issues when Romo changes from a run to a pass. Recievers may not be on the same page, causing Ints and Incs. Is it time to dump the double play call and change to some other form of option?
  2. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know for a fact, but I would assume that "kill, kill, kill" does not always mean to switch from run to pass or pass to run. It could be meaningless. Maybe not, I do not sit in the meetings, but it would be very moronic for this to always mean the same exact thing, game in and game out.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    I would agree. Kind of like Omaha, Omaha, Omaha that Eli calls out all the time. Every team does it. This is not madden, this is not back yard football.
    There are 2 plays that come in not always the same plays and based on what the defense is lined up in will determine what Dallas does.
  4. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and those two plays can't always be run or pass. There has to be situations where there are 2 different runs, or 2 different passes.
  5. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I remember during one of our games a commentator, maybe collinsworth, saying that there is a misconception that when he says kill that there are switching to a 2nd play that was called in the huddle. He said this was simply untrue and that sometimes its the truth but other times it could mean something else or nothing at all.
  6. Doomsday101

77,070 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    True, I would think much of the time it does involve the run going from a pass to say a draw but it could just as easy be a pass to a screen. Worst thing we could do is not call a play off when we see the defense is set up in an alignment or a coverage package that put them in the better position to make a play.

Fact is every team in the league does it, as Cowboy fans we hear kill from Romo but every team has the ability to call off a play and go to another play.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,779 Messages
    5,194 Likes Received
    the league figured out this offense 2 years ago.
  8. Doomsday101

77,070 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    You don't think teams know what Houston is going to do? or GB is going to do? hell watch the games they run the same stuff week in and week out but when you execute the play they tend to have a better chance of working.

There are no big secrets around the league NY offense is same old thing
  9. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    okay allow me to let the cat out of the bag that has been eluding so many fans. Regardless of how you do it, the intention is for the ball to go forward. yeah thats it. whether running it or passing it, which isnt a big mystery PLUS even if you go side to side, or backwards, still have to get that ball forward.

Thats it, thats the secret. 32 teams agree, ball has to go forward. Now some teams are hoping you dont get it forward, or forward enough, but the goal of all teams is to move the ball forward.

There ya go, all teams do it.
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    The Giants use Omaha

Atlanta was using Baltimore and one other but I cannot remember what it was.
  11. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I think execution by the players is the real culprit of this offense. Too many breakdowns in blocking, sight adjustments on routes, missed throws from Romo and of course penalties.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,871 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    This is true - the team has many issues. It is going to take more time than many think to correct it all.

I'm excited about where the defense is headed though. It's really shaping up well, and we have had a lot of injuries on that side of the ball.
  13. Neverhood

Neverhood Active Member

216 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I'm in a rush so didn't read through all the posts but this is pretty basic. Two plays are not always called in the huddle, and when there is only 1 play called Romo kill kill kills the play to nothing cause there is no other play. The kill kill kill is simply to make the defense audible etc, chess match.
  14. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Eli says "Ohmaha" when the clock's running out, lol.
  15. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    It's a good thing Romo doesn't do that because he's be saying Ohmaha every snap pretty much.
  16. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Romo calls Omaha too
  17. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just something I observed... at least, he's done that in games that I've watched.

I do wonder if they've changed it up since the last time I witnessed it. I don't particularly go out of my way to watch the Giants play.

;)
  18. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The Omaha doesn't mean a play change it means snap the ball the next time he says something.
  19. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    That's why we were 11th in the league, despite having no line? Uh...ok.
  20. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,615 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    I still believe that teams with dominant offenses have the ability to exert their will upon opponent defenses. That it is almost immaterial what defensive adjustment is made when the offensive execution is near flawless. It's still 'best eleven on best eleven'.

Unfortunately, I can't believe in the front five of the Dallas Cowboys.